The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 10 of 84 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Wednesday 3/11 - Upper Back/Assistance (Pre-Meet Deload)

DB Rows
    70 x 10
    100 x 10
    130 x 10

HS Chest Supported Row
    180 x 10
    230 x 8
    180 x 10

Mini Band Pull-aparts
    3 sets of 15

Light Band Pushdowns
    100 reps

Decline Abs (25lbs at forehead)
    3 sets of 10

Done. Meet Sunday, let's get it on.
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

Good Luck bro, what meet is it your going to? What are your goals for the meet?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyo_99 View Post
    Good Luck bro, what meet is it your going to? What are your goals for the meet?
    Thanks man. It's the APF/AAPF Illinois State Meet. I'll be competing in the AAPF 100kg Open division (if I make it to 220). I'd love to get a 600lb squat, but my MAIN goal is to get that 660 (triple BW) deadlift. My plan for the meet is something like this:

Squat
    Opener: 500
    2nd: 550
    3rd: We'll see how #2 goes, maybe 600?

Bench
    Opener: 425
    2nd: 450
    3rd: We'll see

Deadlift
    Opener: 550
    2nd: 620
    3rd: 660

We'll see how this goes...
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

Looks great. I think I'm opening 500 in the squat as well. I'd like a little more than 600, but we'll see how it goes. Good luck!!!
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    Looks great. I think I'm opening 500 in the squat as well. I'd like a little more than 600, but we'll see how it goes. Good luck!!!
    Thanks Lones, to be honest as long as I don't bomb in the squat I'll be happy. This is my first time squatting in gear in a comp so I'm pretty nervous about hitting depth. Good luck to you too man!
    My Training Log

You don't train with a monolift, any concerns with that?

You don't train with a monolift, any concerns with that?
    Oh yeah. My first meet I did I competed raw out of a monolift and I still walked it out. I'm nervous about it, but I don't think it will be a huge issue though. I'm just going to get set-up, get tight, arch it out, and then the rest is just squatting as usual.
    My Training Log

Yoke Bar is Here

I came home from work last night, and I see a huge package on my front door step in the shape of a SS Yoke Bar, could it be? I had no idea it was coming b/c I didn't get any tracking or anything, but I'm glad it came so fast.

After 20 minutes of unpacking this beast, and screwing the handles on, I was doing box squats in my dress pants, dress shoes, and a nice button-up shirt. This thing is going to be fun.
    My Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by Pete22 View Post
    I came home from work last night, and I see a huge package on my front door step in the shape of a SS Yoke Bar, could it be? I had no idea it was coming b/c I didn't get any tracking or anything, but I'm glad it came so fast.

After 20 minutes of unpacking this beast, and screwing the handles on, I was doing box squats in my dress pants, dress shoes, and a nice button-up shirt. This thing is going to be fun.
    lucky!

Meet Results

I competed today in the APF/AAPF Illinois State Meet. I was in the AAPF 220lbs Open Division. All in all the meet went alright, but I was VERY disappointed with my deadlift performance. After the squat and especially the bench, my lower back was shot and I was drained, no excuses though.

Here are the results:

Squat
    Opener: 501.5lbs - Good Lift
    2nd Attempt: 551lbs - Good Lift
    3rd Attepmt: 600.7lbs - Good Lift

Bench
    Opener: 424.2lbs - Good Lift
    2nd: Attempt: 446.2lbs - Good Lift
    3rd: Attempt: 473.7lbs - No Good (stalled halfway)

Deadlift
    Opener: 551lbs - Good Lift
    2nd Attempt: - 622.7lbs - No Good
    3rd Attempt: - 622.7lbs - No Good

Total: 1598lbs

I hit 600 a month ago at the Push/Pull meet fairly easily, so missing 622 was disappointing. I thought my second attempt was good, but I got 2 reds and wasn't really sure what I got called on; I may have windmilled it a bit at the top. This was my second full meet ever, and the first time squatting in gear in a meet. The squat was a 50lbs PR from my best gym lift, and the bench was a 21lb meet PR.

I'll post a video of my lifts soon.
    My Training Log

Here's some video from the meet (I still think my 2nd dead was a good lift )

Video
    My Training Log

Nice work man. I'm not 100% on the deadlift rule there but I thought it was good.

Quote Originally Posted by BBShort View Post
    Nice work man. I'm not 100% on the deadlift rule there but I thought it was good.
    Thanks, so I'm not crazy and bitter!
    My Training Log

nice lifts man, your squats are sick. 1598 is a great showing!!

btw, whats the song/band in your video?
    Last edited by johnnyo_99; 03-15-2009 at 08:38 PM.

nice lifts man, your squats are sick. 1598 is a great showing!!

btw, whats the song/band in your video?
    Thanks Johnny. I have to give a lot of thanks to the back spotter, Ernie Lilliebridge Sr. He was getting me centered on the bar just right and in the right position under the monolift.

The band is The Devil Wears Prada and it's a new song called "Dez Moines" off their upcoming album.
    My Training Log

GREAT work man!!!!
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

GREAT work man!!!!
    Thanks Lones! Good luck at your meet, next weekend?
    My Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by Pete22 View Post
    Thanks Lones! Good luck at your meet, next weekend?
    the 28th, thank god. battling a sinus infection.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

the 28th, thank god. battling a sinus infection.
    That sucks, I'm battling a hangover this morning... some post meet festivities if you know what I mean.
    My Training Log

Wednesday - Whatever I feel Like/I'm an idiot Training Day

Conventional Deadlifts (heels touching to minimize hip pain)
    135 x 5
    225 x 5
    315 x 5
    405 x 5

DB Rows
    100 x 10
    100 x 10

Standing Military Press
    135 x 5
    155 x 5
    185 x 5
    205 x 1

HS Low Row (1 arm at a time)
    90 x 10
    135 x 10
    160 x 6

Reverse Pec Deck
    5 sets of 10 (new machine, didn't look at weights)

Standing Pulldown Abs
    90 x 12
    100 x 10
    110 x 8

My right hip has been killing me since the meet. The pain is shooting down my IT band and causing me some knee pain as well. My plan was to skip my ME squat/bench days to recover from the meet, and then do some light Upper Back stuff today, and some RE stuff Fri/Sat.

I got to the gym pissed about my deadlift misses at the meet, pissed about my hip, and just pissed in general so I decided to pull conventional b/c I just needed to pull to make me feel better. So I did. Now I'm at my desk with ice packs wrapped around my hip and leg.

Also, one thing I learned from this meet was that this was the last time I'm pulling Sumo in a meet or ME in training without at least briefs on. There's no reason for me to further punish my hips, when I could easily take the time to learn to pull in gear and even possibly get some carryover out of it. I'm going to be hip to hip health from now on.
    Last edited by Pete22; 03-18-2009 at 11:36 AM.
    My Training Log

hip about hip health, haha

Theres no way I could squat or pull as wide as I do without briefs!
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Nice lifting at your meet. The squats looked really strong. I'm not sure about what happened with your 2nd deadlift. It looked like it came up pretty easy, maybe one of your feet twitched a little. I hope they don't judge deads that closely at my upcoming meet. You have lots of good stuff in your journal, we are at a somewhat similar level and being able to look at the kinds of things you have been doing has been a big help. Thanks for posting and again good job at the meet.

Quote Originally Posted by mike95763 View Post
    Nice lifting at your meet. The squats looked really strong. I'm not sure about what happened with your 2nd deadlift. It looked like it came up pretty easy, maybe one of your feet twitched a little. I hope they don't judge deads that closely at my upcoming meet. You have lots of good stuff in your journal, we are at a somewhat similar level and being able to look at the kinds of things you have been doing has been a big help. Thanks for posting and again good job at the meet.
    Thanks Mike. Yeah it's funny because I was pretty nervous and unsure about squatting out of a monolift, hitting depth, etc., but I went 3 for 3 so go figure. Like I said I think I may have windmilled the 2nd dead a bit at the top but who knows. My form felt off on all the pulls which resulted in that delayed awkward looking start of the 2nd dead. Oh well, I'd rather be at a meet with consistent and stricter judging than one that's handing out gifts.

Good luck at your meet, when/where is it?
    My Training Log

I am competing in AAPF nationals in Idaho Falls, ID on April 3rd. I am competing in the raw division since it is my first meet and you don't have to qualify for the raw portion. I have never squatted out of a monolift either so I am also a bit nervous about that. Mostly I am just excited about everything though. The cool thing about competing raw is that this is the first AAPF national competition that has a raw division so all I have to do get a world record is get the best lift or total at the meet (easier said than done I know, but still it would be pretty cool).

Yeah I qualified for the AAPF nationals, I believe the qualifying total is 1525 for the 220 class IIRC. I'd love to compete at nationals when I get my total up over the 1700 mark and when they are in maybe a more attractive location (Florida, Cali, Vegas , or within driving distance). I'm not sure where you're from, but I believe there is going to be an APF/AAPF Raw meet in Chicago (Willowbrook, IL) this December so look out for that if you're into raw lifting.

Good luck man and don't worry about the monolift. If anything it made it 10x's easier to get set-up properly and stay tight.
    My Training Log