The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

New need suggestions

So ive tried searching topics for help but I couldnt find what I was after ,after a long time to get a specific answer.

So im quite small, not tall,not fat, not uber skinny though.

Ive got an 8 kg dumbell, and a barbell with about 15kg or 20 kg of addable weights in total,can get more.

my shoulders kind of slant down, and i want to get them more defined and horizontal,also looking to build the biceps abit.

Im not after any massive build or anything, I just want more muscle around the shoulder and arms.

I dont belong to a gym and just lift in my room after i finish my day which is late at night.

ive just been doing about 5 sets of 15 reps with the 8kg dumbell doing the bicep curls. and barbell shoulder shrugs with about 15 to 20 kg.

Im pretty sure I could add weight to both of these.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Don't add weight. You could end up getting to big. That'd be icky.

I suggest you do atleast 9 sets of bicep curls (try for 3-4 different variations). I also suggest you do 4 sets of front raises, 4 sets of lateral raises, 4 sets of reverse raises and 4 sets of overhead press with the barbell. This will really add some mass to your shoulders and bis.

Don't work the triceps, this will only take away from the visual image of your biceps. Also, back work is definitely out. Too much back work and your shoulders will look even more slanted. For the traps, I suggest only high rep shrugs. Aim for 50-75reps in a set. The 8kg dumbell should be more than enough for that.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Wannabebig Member
    thanks alot, would you sugguest heavier weights for the curls?

would you say 8kg is to much for lateral and front raises, i find them alot harder than curls. gona go out and buy another 8kg dumbell to do the dumbell shrugs.

Wannabebig Member
    wow i hope he doesn't take that literally...

Wannabebig Member
    take what literally exactly?

Everything.

Wannabebig Member
    But basically 99% of what has been said has been things to do literally.

Wannabebig Member
    well i thought deeders post was legit ,and he meant what he said, can someone show me or explain how it wasnt?

2/3 of the arm make up the triceps if im not mistaken. working the triceps will give you bigger arms than if you work the biceps. i would say stick to more tricep work with some bicep work on the side and you'll see that your arms are getting bigger, and your biceps are more noticeable. do dumbell flies and other chest exercies with your dumbbells and you can do some other variations of bicep curls and other things with your barbells.

Wannabebig Member
    ah k thanks. At the moment im doing my bicep curls with my dumbell , doing 1 arm at a time, would it be better to be doing them with about 15 kg (needa get more weights) on the barbell instead of doing 8kg dumbell curls?
    Last edited by mistamista; 10-02-2008 at 04:39 AM. Reason: didnt finish post

Ugh.... Do the exact opposite of what I said. Join a gym, work your WHOLE BODY. You're not going to accidentally put on a bunch of size but you will look ******ed if all you work is your biceps.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Wannabebig Member
    wow you were being sarcastic,your wit level is through the roof.

#1: save up money to join a gym where you have access to more weights and equipment.

#2: In the meantime, load up the barbell and do cleans, front squats, overhead presses, and pull-ups (go to a playground or a tree if need be).
    Currently: 6'3", 220#, 295/235/430

Goals (for now): 230#, 355/260/445

Some time in the distant future: 275#, 750/500/750

Quote Originally Posted by mistamista View Post
    ah k thanks. At the moment im doing my bicep curls with my dumbell , doing 1 arm at a time, would it be better to be doing them with about 15 kg (needa get more weights) on the barbell instead of doing 8kg dumbell curls?
    yeah it would be better to use the heavier ones if the 8 kg ones are too easy for you. anyways, mosnar was right on with his post so check that. you can also add some barbell curls if you want.

See if you can get into a gym. The school gym or the local YMCA is a good, cheap place to start. Work you entire body (deeder was being a smart-ass and I laughed when I read it) and your shoulders and arms will get bigger. Remember, shoulders and bis aren't the only thing - legs, back, chest and yes, tris need to be included in your workouts. Concentrate on the big, compound movement exercises - squats (back preferred, front is OK), deads, bench press, military press, bent rows, cleans, etc. These will all help your shoulders and arms to get bigger.
    Last edited by rbtrout; 10-06-2008 at 09:25 AM.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Wannabebig Member
    thanks alot guys, might join a gym in the future in the mean time ima get some more weights to use at home. Is buying something like the ab king pro the best idea for ab workouts?

and I see now that working the whole body is important will try my best to join a gym asap/

Too many ab exercises you can do without buying something (including squats), I would not waste my money on that. If you already have one, then use it away. A chin bar can be used for hanging leg raises (tree branch, as well). I frequently do sit ups on the end of a bench (piano bench), with my upper body off the end, so I can go past parallel.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Wannabebig Member
    ah k cool, for a beginer how much weight on the barbell would you reccomend for squats to work the ab region.

Just doing squats works the abs and core quite well. I can't recommend a weight for you, I don't know how strong you are; just keep squatting and it will help your abs. Do other ab work, as well. Always try to increase the weight used on any of your lifts.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench