The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Skinny 17 yo wants to bulk - new gym membership!

Hi everyone, i have been a member for a while, but not an active member. Pretty much using the site to read around the information before asking lots of silly questions.

I just joined up to a local gym and am going to start weightlifting. (I have done previously but only occasionly and not for a few months) but now i want to get serious.

Stats:
    17 yo
    150lbs (about)
    6 ft 1

Tomorow i have a fitness assessment at the gym in which more stats will be recorded (body fat, heart rate etc) which i will update soon. They are also going to make me a workout plan which i will see how good it is. I am aware that i need to eat, and eat BIG, with plenty of protein. Iv got myself some whey protein and creatine.

Sorry pics are bit terrible, will get some better ones soon.

Would love some hints, tips, comments, constructive criticism etc?!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    No need for supplements, just eat good. Post the routine they give you so the members here can see if it needs to be improved.
    5'9"
    body weight 180lbs
    Raw bench: 385
    Deadlift: 445
    Squat 455

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DTF View Post
    No need for supplements, just eat good. Post the routine they give you so the members here can see if it needs to be improved.
    Will post it when i get it so wbb members can critique it. I was planning on just using the whey for a protein boost straight after workout. With college(UK version!) its difficult to work eating right, while living with a parent.

A:squat
    row
    flat press

B:dl
    OHpress
    pullup

MWF. MWF
    ABA. BAB
    Sarvamangalam!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    row
    flat press

OHpress
    pullup

MWF. MWF
    ABA. BAB
    Thankyou zen monkey, is that a simplified rippitoes routine?

The gym i signed up to is unfortunately machine based with freeweights limited to a wide selection of dumbells - so no barbell for me

row
    flat press

OHpress
    pullup

MWF. MWF
    ABA. BAB
    you ever get tired of posting this?
    6'0" 202lbs @ 16.2%bf
    ~~Current | Goal
    BP 175x1 | 250x5
    Dl 325x1 | 310x5
    SQ 265x1 | 310x5

Quote Originally Posted by Be_Rye View Post
    you ever get tired of posting this?
    Im not sure what you are trying to get at, if ou have a problem with it please say so explicitly.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 10-10-2008 at 06:03 AM.
    Sarvamangalam!

get a new gym. seriously. you need to be able to squat, DL, press and pull HEAVY!!!!!!
    Sarvamangalam!

Wannabebig Member
    get a new gym. seriously. you need to be able to squat, DL, press and pull HEAVY!!!!!!
    I wish i could but i live in a v small city in the UK and the nearest "proper" gym is about 30 miles away. This gyms got all the same movements just without it working the core stability which i can supplement with seperate core work. I can still lift heavy, but id rather be able to attend as many times a week as i want to to access this than not be able to access it v often.

You can make due with DBs, but I have a really hard time lifting heavy for legs w/ DBs. It can be done though with movement variations.

I would also look into Crossfit if you cant seem to go heavy enough
    Sarvamangalam!

Wannabebig Member
    You can make due with DBs, but I have a really hard time lifting heavy for legs w/ DBs. It can be done though with movement variations.

Il lift as heavy as i can with dumbells, i guess its my grip limiting it, and for the heavier lifts il use the leg press to mimic the squat movement?

Thankyou v much zenlift, help v much appreciated!

Umm..Just about all the Crossfit lifts are barbell exercises. For example, today's workout includes 250lb deadlifts (5x15).

Link to Baby Got Back here
    Last edited by manowar669; 10-10-2008 at 12:01 PM.
    The Gods taught us to forge Iron so that we would not be slaves-----old Germanic saying

buy a chin up bar, sell the arm curl bar---Roddy

Quote Originally Posted by manowar669 View Post
    Umm..Just about all the Crossfit lifts are barbell exercises. For example, today's workout includes 250lb deadlifts (5x15).
    This is not true in through any conception of the word. Crossfit implements everything. KBs, DBs, swim, bike, imaginationn is the only limiting factor.

You can do crossfit easily w/o BBs
    Sarvamangalam!

This is not true in through any conception of the word. Crossfit implements everything. KBs, DBs, swim, bike, imaginationn is the only limiting factor.

You can do crossfit easily w/o BBs
    I've been following crossfit for over 2 years. Biking and swimming are never part of the workouts. Kettlebells sometimes, and dumbells rarely. Maybe if you had a set of dumbells going up beyond 150s, you'd probably be ok with squats, deadlifts, and overhead presses. A barbell would be cheaper. Of course, it's assumed that you play or practice a sport (biking, running, whatever), since it's a GPP program.
    The Gods taught us to forge Iron so that we would not be slaves-----old Germanic saying

buy a chin up bar, sell the arm curl bar---Roddy

Quote Originally Posted by manowar669 View Post
    I've been following crossfit for over 2 years. Biking and swimming are never part of the workouts. Kettlebells sometimes, and dumbells rarely. Maybe if you had a set of dumbells going up beyond 150s, you'd probably be ok with squats, deadlifts, and overhead presses. A barbell would be cheaper. Of course, it's assumed that you play or practice a sport (biking, running, whatever), since it's a GPP program.
    I see your point. What I am getting at is the nature of crossfit. Maybe I should say GPP instead... but the point is you dont have to follow a WOD to do corssfit/gpp. All you need to do is push yoursefl hard in novel situations making your body adapt to new stimuli as often as possible. This is very very possible to do in the OPs position.
    Sarvamangalam!

Always learning
    Why not point him in the direction of Baby Got Back? I love that workout. =p
    "Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but no one wanna lift this heavy ass weight."

I think he just copy and pastes now lol
    |A:26 | H:6'5'' | W:198| GW: 215|
    Stats: Start | Current | Goal
    Bench: 135lb |170lb| 225lb
    Squat: 135lb |185lb| 225lb
    Dead: 180 |185lb| 315lb
    OH Press: 85lb |100lb| 150lb
    (all 3 x 5 reps)

Banned
    I had the same problem. You got to eat, eat , eat but you go to eat the right food. I was the same size until I hit 21. I wasn't sure how to lift for a skinny kid. I took weight gainers and just go chubby and lost my six pack. I found this workout plan online. It helped me out maybe it will help you too. i posted a picture too of what I look like now. Good Luck kid
    Burnthefat.com.

[IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Vinnie/My%20Documents/Build%20the%20Bulk/Photoshop%20Images/Zahn%20after%20photo%20copy.jpg[/IMG]

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LilHillbilly View Post
    Why not point him in the direction of Baby Got Back? I love that workout. =p
    - Iv searched google but to little result, any links?

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnieg123 View Post
    I had the same problem. You got to eat, eat , eat but you go to eat the right food. I was the same size until I hit 21. I wasn't sure how to lift for a skinny kid. I took weight gainers and just go chubby and lost my six pack. I found this workout plan online. It helped me out maybe it will help you too. i posted a picture too of what I look like now. Good Luck kid
    Burnthefat.com.

[IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Vinnie/My%20Documents/Build%20the%20Bulk/Photoshop%20Images/Zahn%20after%20photo%20copy.jpg[/IMG]
    - Link doesnt work points to a file on your comp, you can upload it though through the same panel on the forum.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnieg123 View Post
    Burnthefat.com.

Affiliate link spamming... same as all your other comments in the forum.

Wannabebig Member
    OK well I have a barbell and dumbell set at home but am limited to 40kgs in weight?

I got the fitness assessment done:

Weight - Around 154lbs i think
    Body Fat - 10.04%

The routine he wrote for me didnt seem that great? Im not sure, let me know what you think:

Warm up: - 15min cross trainer or 2000m row.

3X10 ball squats
    3X10 lunges
    3X10 leg press

3X10 Lat Pulldown
    3X10 Chest Press
    3X10 Shoulder Press

Warm Down:- 15min cross trainer or 2000m row.

Think that was it, there might be one more upper body excercise missing, im going back tomorow will check.

What does everyone think?

Wannabebig Member
    They also said its fine to do this, 4 times a week even on consequetive days? No 3 day split or anything :S?