Thread: Push/Pull/Legs 3 day Split

Wannabebig New Member

Push/Pull/Legs 3 day Split

Hey everybody,

I'm currently 6 ft and 158 lbs, my goal is to be about 180 lbs and maintain my BF% (somewhere around 10%). Also, I know cardio isn't going to help me gain weight, but playing basketball is FUN and I'm not going to quit.

I'm trying to put together a 3 day split. The reason I want to do a split that only trains each group once a week is because I'm usually sore for 48 hours after lifting.

Day 1: Chest/Tri/Abs
    Day 2: Cardio (basketball)
    Day 3: Back/Bis
    Day 4: Cardio (basketball)
    Day 5: Legs/Abs
    Day 6: Off
    Day 7: Cardio (basketball)

I have some questions:

1) In all of the example PUSH/PULL/LEG workouts I've looked at, deadlifts are always grouped in with the PULL day. I understand that deadlifts work your back, but it seems weird to me that they don't go on the Leg day. Wouldn't it be counterproductive to do Deadlifts on Day 3 as part of my back routine and then try to do Legs on Day 5 (when my legs are still sore)?

2) What rep range and number of sets should I be looking at for each muscle group? In other words, if I do a 5x5 of Bench Press, can I then follow it up with a 5x5 of Incline Bench on the same day, or is that too much stress?

3) For my compound exercises (bench, incline, squat, deadlift, rows, etc) I was planning on doing 5 sets of 5 reps. Appropriate?

4) For my non-compound exercises (i.e. skull crushers, hammer curls, and calf raises), should I be doing 5 sets of 5 reps, or 3 sets of 8 or 10 reps or what?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsButNoHops View Post
    Hey everybody,

I'm currently 6 ft and 158 lbs, my goal is to be about 180 lbs and maintain my BF% (somewhere around 10%). Also, I know cardio isn't going to help me gain weight, but playing basketball is FUN and I'm not going to quit.

I'm trying to put together a 3 day split. The reason I want to do a split that only trains each group once a week is because I'm usually sore for 48 hours after lifting.

Day 1: Chest/Tri/Abs
    Day 2: Cardio (basketball)
    Day 3: Back/Bis
    Day 4: Cardio (basketball)
    Day 6: Off
    Day 7: Cardio (basketball)

I have some questions:

1) In all of the example PUSH/PULL/LEG workouts I've looked at, deadlifts are always grouped in with the PULL day. I understand that deadlifts work your back, but it seems weird to me that they don't go on the Leg day. Wouldn't it be counterproductive to do Deadlifts on Day 3 as part of my back routine and then try to do Legs on Day 5 (when my legs are still sore)? Yes. I would do Back and Bi's on Day 1. Chest and Tri's on day 2

2) What rep range and number of sets should I be looking at for each muscle group? In other words, if I do a 5x5 of Bench Press, can I then follow it up with a 5x5 of Incline Bench on the same day, or is that too much stress? That would be fine and I personally wouldn't do anything else for chest or shoulders after that either. But, it depends on YOUR experience.

3) For my compound exercises (bench, incline, squat, deadlift, rows, etc) I was planning on doing 5 sets of 5 reps. Appropriate? Yes

4) For my non-compound exercises (i.e. skull crushers, hammer curls, and calf raises), should I be doing 5 sets of 5 reps, or 3 sets of 8 or 10 reps or what? I would do 3 of 8-12 stopping a rep or 2 before failure.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
    My answers in Bold.
    Last edited by joey54; 10-10-2008 at 05:20 AM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

I agree with Joey here. Don't forget to do shoulders. Putting back/bis on day 1 puts 4 days between deads and squats, so you should be OK.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Banned
    my journal has a 3 day split
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=115686
    originally it had monday for cardio, but i havent done that for a while and plan to replace it with an equipped squat day once i get my house finished up.

yes make sure you slap some shoulder work in there. push day would be great to add them to. other than that it looks like you have the right mindset
    Green Tea
    17ys -175lbs
    Squat: 300
    Bench: 200
    Deadlift: 360
    Clean: 235

Wannabebig New Member
    Thanks for the suggestions guys, especially moving my pull day to Day 1 and adding shoulders. Here's what I think I'm going to try:

Day 1: Pull
    Day 2: basketball
    Day 3: Push
    Day 4: basketball
    Day 6: off
    Day 7: basketball

Pull:
    Deadlift 5 x 5
    Weighted Chin-Ups 3 x 8
    Barbell Row 5 x 5
    Hammer Curl 3 x 8

Push:
    Flat Bench 3 x 5
    Incline Bench 3 x 5
    Seated Dumbell Press 5 x 5
    Weighted Dips 3 x 8

Legs:
    Squat 5 x 5
    Stiff-Legged Deadlift 3 x 5
    Lunges 3x8
    Crunch: 3 x 15
    Prone Bridge 3 x 30 sec x front/left-side/right-side
    Last edited by HoopsButNoHops; 10-11-2008 at 12:49 PM.

not bad. I really think you would benefit by throwing some squats in on day 1.
    Sarvamangalam!