The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

question about squat form

quick question about squat form...

well I am doing high bar olympic style squats, and trying to up the weight 5 pounds a week....which is going very good actually (I have discovered I am stronger than I believed)

Now I am doing sets across with more weight then I am used to, and my forms is in question. Since I do not lift with anyone but myself, I can only go off how it feels.

My back remains in extension, and the bar is moving over my midfoot the whole way as I struggle not to lean forward. However, its very hard to keep my knees wide as they seem to come together a little as the bar slows a lot.

I am still getting all the reps up, but how important is the knees thing?

I understand that this is a subjective question, but I get no feedback from anyone when I lift and this is the only place I can ask this question.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sandcracker21 View Post

However, its very hard to keep my knees wide as they seem to come together a little as the bar slows a lot (snip) but how important is the knees thing?
    Its VERY important. You do NOT want your knees moving to the inside, ie moving together.

but I get no feedback from anyone when I lift and this is the only place I can ask this question.
    Video yourself. Post them here if you're so inclined. People here will help.

Two things about your post -
    It is common to lean forward on squats, more so on low bar than hi bar, but there will be some lean. Much of that depends upon body height vs. torso length, etc. So, if you lean some what, don't worry about it.

Keeping your knees going out prevents the knee joint from twisting when the knees go in. Make sure your toes are pointed out to a comfortable position, this helps a bit with the knees, but like form on any exercise, it's frequently and learned and concentrated on thing. That's on of the areas that I've always had to watch for, thus making myself concentrate on keeping my knees out.

Keep lifting! Hope this helps.
    Last edited by rbtrout; 10-10-2008 at 02:10 PM.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

If your knees are already caved in by the time you hit the bottom, you will not be able to correct it--your abductors are far too weak in this position. Instead, you have to maintain a conscious effort to keep the knees tracking in line with your feet the whole time you are lowering yourself.

Intermediate Lifter
    Quote Originally Posted by sandcracker21 View Post
    Now I am doing sets across with more weight then I am used to, and my forms is in question.
    Be careful.

I would make sure that my form was not falling apart as I attempted to increase the weight. It sounds like you feel yours is, so I would recommend slowing down on increasing the weight.

Strengthen your muscles involved in this movement gradually. The Squat is a powerful lift when performed correctly. If your form is not good, you can have some potent problems.

You have received some good advice prior to mine.

5'9" 197 lbs 50 Years Young
    Powerlifting Total (single ply): 1101 lbs.
    Bench (raw): 245 X 8
    Incline Bench Press (raw): 225 lbs. X 8
    Strict Standing Military Press: 190 X 1
    Training Journal.

You need to keep your knees out for safety's sake. It's also a much stronger position to lift from. I'd say drop the weight and focus on really pushing your knees out, not just keeping them from caving, but actively pushing them out to the side.

When I squat, that is the one cue that I always keep in my mind. More than just protecting your knees, it does so much to help keep you in the proper position throughout the lift.