Thread: arms/hands falling asleep while i'm sleeping?

Wannabebig Member

arms/hands falling asleep while i'm sleeping?

i first started weightlifting when i was 18, and i remember after about 4 months of lifting my arms/hands started falling asleep every single night and i would wake up every morning and my arms would have absolutely no feeling in them.

i took about 1.5 years off and everything went back to normal again, arms stopped falling asleep, now I started lifting again about 4 months ago, and for the past week or so my arms have started to fall asleep again just like they used to before. Every single morning i wake up to this lol, does this also happen to any1 else?
    i always sleep the same way (on my side, with my arm under my pillow and that's the only way i feel comfortable sleeping)
    does any1 know why this is happening?
    i googled it and ppl started talking about diseases and stuff!

If I sleep with my biceps above my heart, my arm falls asleep. I don't really remember when it started. I just don't sleep that way anymore. As you age and increase in weight, you just can't sleep all contorted like when you were a kid.

For you, it may just have to do with a change in resting heart rate or blood pressure.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

it's your hand position.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Happens to me almost every night. It's just your hand position. I turn my body around a lot when I sleep and what happens is as I turn, one of my arm ends up getting pinned under my body.

Wannabebig Member
    how sure are u guys about the hand position?
    how come this didn't matter when i wasn't lifting?

Quote Originally Posted by jocs View Post
    how sure are u guys about the hand position?
    how come this didn't matter when i wasn't lifting?
    Well, I'm sure because I always wake up when one of my arms goes numb. Just a lack of blood flow to the area, that's all.

Wannabebig New Member
    Very interesting. Near the end of a bulking phase last winter that was happening to me ALL the time. It was really annoying because i would wake up because of it sometimes. Since then I have been cutting down a little bit and stopped having the sleeping arm issue. I am now starting another bulking phase and i will see if it starts happening again. I have only lost about 10 lbs max and went from like 183-173 and 7.5-5.9% body fat so i dont know if the change in weight is enough to explain that though. At one point i was thinking it was the excessive food and type of protein i was taking at the time. If someone has a real answer to this i will be very interested to hear it.

This is odd that it correlated with lifting. It may also be diet related assuming you eat differently when lifting...its hard to keep track of every nutrient and keep it in a correct balance and symptoms will show up. When something weird happens with your body, something significant if usually going on. That said I've never looked into this specific thing, but rarely do people break down their diets on a basis of micronutrients to see what could be off and when you do you will usually find something.