Thread: Martial Arts

Martial Arts

Hi everyone,

Just curious to how many people on here study/participate in some sort of martial arts? I'm 19 - 20 in a few days - but would really like to give it a go. I don't know which sort I would like to take up, but it's something I would like to do. Whither I will do it or not is a different story!

So what do you do? Is it fun? What sort of contact is involved?

The Time is Now - My Journey to 180lbs
    Skinny Guy Starts Training
    Progress Pictures

Height: 6'-6'1" | Weight:160lbs | Start Weight: 140lbs | Goal Weight: 180lbs
    Bench: 176.4lbs x 5
    Squat: 187.4lbs x 2
    Deadlift: 264.6lbs x 5

Nothing maxed yet!

I study Krav Maga, but I don't participate in any sort of MMA anymore.

What re your reasons/goals for wanting to study a martial art?

I'm finding myself attracted to capoeira lately, because it seems much more graceful and more "dance-like" to imprve flexibility.

I really enjoyed KM. That said, my KM instructor was a full-contact kind of guy, so I often limped out of there with a bloody nose and sore muscles/joints.
    "This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time."
    -Tyler Durden

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    I study Krav Maga, but I don't participate in any sort of MMA anymore.

What re your reasons/goals for wanting to study a martial art?

I'm finding myself attracted to capoeira lately, because it seems much more graceful and more "dance-like" to imprve flexibility.

I really enjoyed KM. That said, my KM instructor was a full-contact kind of guy, so I often limped out of there with a bloody nose and sore muscles/joints.
    I've never heard of that before, I'll need to look it up.

I would like to improve my flexability, be able to defend myself a little if need be - although, it may not help that area much - and just for the fun/enjoyment.
    The Time is Now - My Journey to 180lbs
    Skinny Guy Starts Training
    Progress Pictures

Height: 6'-6'1" | Weight:160lbs | Start Weight: 140lbs | Goal Weight: 180lbs
    Bench: 176.4lbs x 5
    Squat: 187.4lbs x 2
    Deadlift: 264.6lbs x 5

Nothing maxed yet!

do some teaknowdo sparrring is madd fun. I did it when i was 6-13 y/os but i got too busy or else i would have continued
    Last edited by powerboy93; 09-16-2008 at 02:13 PM.
    Lifting is my life

I am 15
    @ 155 lbs

Wannabebig Member
    I train in BJJ, submission wrestling under Relson Gracie black belt Phil migliarese. We have BJJ and MMA classes that run all week. Its the greatest thing i have done in my life. I enjoy training in the greatest fighting style in the world. Its a small community thats growing all the time. When you enter a BJJ tourney you may have a chance to compete against UFC fighters. On my team alone we have many fighters which range from low level tourneys to the best fighters in the world. If you looking to be a serious BJJ'er or MMA fighter than definetly look into Muay Thai kickboxing and Brazilian jiu-jitsu. Plus you'll develop functional strength and learn to defend yourself

Wannabebig Member
    I train Krav Maga and some Muay Thai Kickboxing incorporated into the KM curriculum.

I wanted practical street self defense, so I'm very happy with Krav Maga so far. It is such a brutal fighting method, which is why I love it haha.

I am training with Mike Lee Kanarek this saturday, pretty pumped about that.

I would like to get involved with mma and bjj eventually, but I don't have the time or resources at the moment, and the closest school is too far away.

Wannabebig Member
    Hey BassBoy, Ricardo De La Riva has an affiliate school in Buffalo. Buffalo BJJ. Not sure if its that close to you but its a good school under a world class BJJer

I honestly wouldn't suggest setting up under a world class dojo just yet. Many require you to drop large sums of cash before they begin to train you. Around here there are a lot of places that require good solid fundementals of martial arts for a much lower fee. I would start with that and work your way into it. Eventually research a particual form and go for that. I started in Judo when I was 8 years old, and have been doing it ever since. There is always contact but its pushing, pulling, throwing and grappling. If you like ground work and wrestling judo is a lot of fun and pretty easy to get in to. There are a lot of beginner classes around here, not sure if it's the same in your area or not. Whatever you choose to do, keep an open mind and make it fun. Some instructors are more interested in making you fear them rather than helping you develop.

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by powerboy93 View Post
    do some teaknowdo sparrring is madd fun.
    Yeah man he is right Do taekonwdo it is awesome I've been doing it for years.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    I honestly wouldn't suggest setting up under a world class dojo just yet. Many require you to drop large sums of cash before they begin to train you. Around here there are a lot of places that require good solid fundementals of martial arts for a much lower fee. I would start with that and work your way into it. Eventually research a particual form and go for that. I started in Judo when I was 8 years old, and have been doing it ever since. There is always contact but its pushing, pulling, throwing and grappling. If you like ground work and wrestling judo is a lot of fun and pretty easy to get in to. There are a lot of beginner classes around here, not sure if it's the same in your area or not. Whatever you choose to do, keep an open mind and make it fun. Some instructors are more interested in making you fear them rather than helping you develop.
    If you want good training then you definetly want to go to a world class BJJ/Judo/Grappling school. Most have beginners classes,and most do not make you sign long term contracts. Schools that make you sign long term contracts are sometimes afraid there going to lose your buisness. Im in A.C New Jersey and i train with Relson Gracie bb Phil Migliarese,a world class BJJer. He has beginners,fundamentals,mixed and Advanced classes. Most good schools do.There are too many places popping up that teach garbage grappling/bjj. If your instructor cant trace his belt lineage back to a Gracie family member its not worth going. ex.... Me < Rich Komar < Phil Migliarese < Relson Gracie. I dont know how it works in Judo though. If i didnt train BJJ,Wrestling i would definetly train Judo.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GTA View Post
    Hey BassBoy, Ricardo De La Riva has an affiliate school in Buffalo. Buffalo BJJ. Not sure if its that close to you but its a good school under a world class BJJer
    Hey thanks for the feedback.

I have heard of the school, but its way out in a suburb of buffalo so its not possible at the moment.

Eventually I will train in some bjj. I have done some seminars and liked what was taught, its just a matter of time.

They're supposed to be opening up a Gracie affiliate school here near me, I absolutely cannot wait for that to happen. I know me and about 5 guys that are drooling over this.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    They're supposed to be opening up a Gracie affiliate school here near me, I absolutely cannot wait for that to happen. I know me and about 5 guys that are drooling over this.
    Where are you located?

Dallas, TX
    "Light Weight"

260's by May