Thread: strongman

Hybrid View

strongman

hi guys i need a strongman routine but not strong man events as i havnt got any equipment yet. Any suggestions? alot of core work?
    I believe that when the body is strong, the mind thinks strong thoughts. Time spent away from the Iron makes my mind degenerate. I wallow in a thick depression. My body shuts down my mind.

JOURNAL LONG ROAD TO STRENGTH! CHECK IT OUT
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...90#post1999490

Wannabebig Member
    check out ontariostrongman site

Banned
    You would pretty much just be working the core lifts along with some extra heavy GPP work. Press overhead more than benching.

so pretty much what i am doing right now?
    deadlift
    bench

squat
    oh press

pullup
    oh squat
    snatch's

mind my ignorance but what is gpp?
    I believe that when the body is strong, the mind thinks strong thoughts. Time spent away from the Iron makes my mind degenerate. I wallow in a thick depression. My body shuts down my mind.

Wannabebig Member
    general physical preparedness(sp?)

stuff like tire flipps, sledge hammer work, farmers, sleds ect...

Quote Originally Posted by samj View Post
    so pretty much what i am doing right now?
    deadlift
    bench

squat
    oh press

pullup
    oh squat
    snatch's

mind my ignorance but what is gpp?
    Pullups and OH squats before Snatch... think again. You need to put Snatch 1st.
    Sarvamangalam!

I see thanks.

ok this is the plan.

need to start getting seriously realised this when tried OH squats but couldnt peform them due to flexibility issues.

diet:
    meal 1: shake (whey, icecream, banana, milk,peanut butter, honey) + porridge oats

meal 2: natural yoghourt + nuts

meal 3: chicken + rice + milk

meal 4: Tuna + olives + milk

meal 5: home tea (healthy)

meal 6: cottage cheese + shake (as above)

4litres of water throughout

training:

workout A (monday) bench + deadlift + abs

workout B (wednesday) squat + OH press + grip work

workout C (friday) Pullup + OH squat(sort flexibility out) or power clean

workout D (saturday?) strongman events

this could be overtraining but i dont know only if there were 8 days in a week. I could do workout A then days rest workout B then days rest and so on.

make sure i get ATLEAST 10hours of sleep a night.

Things to get farmers, yoke, log, rolling thunder thingy, captains of crush and supplements.

also stretching everynight.

man its going to be hard work,i would breeze through it without a job though. This is getting started next monday will have this week to work on flexibility and do some light work.

Banned
    Why are you snatching if you want to compete in strongman? It has no place. Deadlift heavy, squat as assistance to your deads, and oh press and back work. You don't need overhead squats either. You're overthinking this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
    Why are you snatching if you want to compete in strongman? It has no place. Deadlift heavy, squat as assistance to your deads, and oh press and back work. You don't need overhead squats either. You're overthinking this.
    I would tend to disagree with you Ben about the OH Squats. They help you when you are doing any object overhead press (keg, Log, Axle) Remember, training for Strongman is a little different than training for PL, OLY, General Strength etc... Balancing while pressing a Heavy object overhead is a lot different than pressing a bar or DB.

Samj - Try Zercher DLs. They're great. Good luck.
    "to teach God's word, by his own example; that we must Love all things that God made" - The Rime of the Ancient Mariner

DL: 375 RAW No Belt, No Wraps, No nothing!
    SQ: 325 RAW " " "
    BP: 220 RAW " " "

Total: 920 hahaha Not quite a 1000lbs (This was done back in 2008 )

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BULK_BOY View Post
    I would tend to disagree with you Ben about the OH Squats. They help you when you are doing any object overhead press (keg, Log, Axle) Remember, training for Strongman is a little different than training for PL, OLY, General Strength etc... Balancing while pressing a Heavy object overhead is a lot different than pressing a bar or DB.

I have trained strongman for the past 8 years - but do whatever floats your boat...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BULK_BOY View Post

I could be really mean, but I'll wait for your response to do that. I'll give you a chance to redeem yourself.

The snatch should be put before anything....

Its in no particular order. have you looked at my new routine atall? snatches arnt on there just power cleans.

I have heard oh squat is good for the core but i will happily not do them.

why do i see jesse perform these kevin nee etc?

Banned
    why do i see jesse perform these kevin nee etc?
    Jesse was a former olympic lifting competitor and his background was in that. Take a look at Ortmayer or Poundstone. Neither of these guys train the snatch.

Again - I was pretty successful with the ways I trained strongman, but in no way is my way the only way. Feel things out and see what works for you.

For overhead, I had much more success working push presses, push jerks, and heavy 3 and 4 board presses.

Banned
    You can do whatever you want - I was simply telling you what I did when training for strongman. Personally I don't feel that the snatch has carryover to any other sport besides olympic weightlifting. It is too specific. Plus, if you're ever that deep holding an axle or log overhead you're more than likely going to miss that lift.

Banned
    I love how some of the idiots on this board question the Sponsored Pro-Class strongman

it makes me laugh

dude im no idiot, Also yes questioning to get more knowledge about strongman

Banned
    dude im no idiot, Also yes questioning to get more knowledge about strongman
    samj - I don't believe anyone was calling you an idiot. People tend to discount advice based on thier own knowledge and it's frustrating at times to try and help. That's the basics of what he's saying.

o. I fully apreciate you helping me you dont have to but you do. I really want to go somewhere in strongman and need to start now.