The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

looking for advice on gaining weight - 6'3" 130lbs and cant gain a pound

Thank you very much in advance for reading this and it is not a joke so serious help would be appreciated. I apologize for the length of this post. i have a unique problem which i cant find much information on because i cant find anyone else having the same problem as bad as mine. i am 25/m and 6'3" weighing in at 130lbs on a good day - I know I am underweight, skinny, skin and bones - I have heard it all. My BMI is prob 0% cause I do not think I have any fat. This has been a problem my whole life and I am getting tired of hearing oh my god you have to eat something everyday of my life from friends and family. Now the weird thing is, I tried so much to gain weight and it seems the more I try the worse I get. Before getting the "just eat more" comments, I would like to say I eat 2500-3000+ calories daily, I eat healthy - My protein intake is more than enough for gaining muscle. I been working out at home since I was 17... I tried the gym with no results... saw a nutritionist with no results and even went to the hospital for a checkup and they were boggled on how I can't gain weight. I don't care if I gain fat or muscle I just need help before the next "your so skinny comment comes" and I go muah thai on their ass lol. I took many MMA classes so I know my eating habits are more than enough for someone normal to gain weight and I was educated on good and bad diets. I tried weight gainer shakes and even prolab nlarge2 (3 times a day for 30 days) and I actually went to 127lbs. I tried even muscletech to see if I could look a little better with water weight but nothing after drinking 3 gallons daily for years. Sorry for the long post but I am just hoping someone had this problem and could help me narrow down what could be causing this.

On a side note - last year I was in the hospital for 2 weeks and ate everything in sight figuring I'd use my insurance to the full use. Anyway I ate and ate junk food, anything I wanted they brought. When I went at first I was 129lbs and stayed in bed for 2 weeks - not moving and eating like a pig. Sorry for this little detail but in 2 weeks I did not use the bathroom so you could imagine the amount of food I thought was still in me. Before checking out of the hospital I was weighed again and was 129lbs and they even brought me to 3 scales to check because they couldn't even imagine how I was the same without specially with eating so much, not using the bathroom and not moving.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

what does your routine in the gym look like?
    You cant buy strength, but you sure as hell can work for it

3000 calories is nothing, eat more.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by goodtimez View Post
    Before getting the "just eat more" comments, I would like to say I eat 2500-3000+ calories daily
    You train MMA so energy is not a problem, and have seen doctors who, presumably, found no problems? Then the answer really is the one you don't want to hear: eat more. I don't care if a "normal" person (not sure who that is, BTW) "should" gain on 2500-3000+ daily, you aren't. So, unless you somehow defy the laws of physics, you need to take in more energy than you use. That may mean you need 4000 a day. Or 5000. Or ??? You may "feel" like you eat a lot, but if you have no medical conditions and the scale isn't moving, you aren't eating enough. PERIOD.

You will feel bloated throughout the day. You will feel like you can't possibly eat another bite, and tehn you sit down to another full plate of food and work through it. You will feel like you're about to puke after many of your meals. Eating will interrupt your life. You will find yourself staying up to finish a meal that you didn't even feel like eating in the first place. You will plan your day around your meals. YOu will add cheese to everything you can think of. You will hit the McDonalds and pick up 3 double cheeseburgers, and eat them, even though you just ate 2 hours ago. And you do this several times a day, day after day after day. And at the end of the week, if the scale hasn't moved, you eat even more.

I eat healthy
    Huh? You already admitted you're skin and bones. That sounds unhealthy to me. Teh cold hard fact is, you (meaning, YOU specifically) cannot gain on "healthy" food alone. You will have to resort to eating anything and everything.

Look, it's real simple. IF you have the will power, you can make a "Get Big" shake every single day, and drink it throughout the day, and EASILY get 3000 calories ALONE from that drink. With a regular diet, and the shake, you'll hit 5000 calories a day easy.
    Last edited by Brad08; 10-13-2008 at 04:29 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    hey, thanks for writing back. currently i workout 3-4 times a week for no longer than an hour. i focus on more weight/less reps rather than 3 sets of 15 of a lighter weight. i do the exercises in proper form and focus on each rep. For example if doing free weight curls, I will count the seconds of curling it and go back down the same seconds which I feel causes more muscles to work.

i switch around the days and routine every month to keep my body from getting tolerant to a certain routine. here is a example of what i have been doing (i will leave days out to make sure im not soar or over training) i also keep a journal of my progress which isn't looking very good but im dedicated to this.

one day: back, biceps
    next workout time: chest, triceps, shoulder/neck area
    next workout time: legs, abs, light cardio for 15-25min run just to keep my heart in good health lol (sometimes my fourth day of the gym will just be a quick run for 30min and I leave)

for each muscle i will do 2 exercises and keep the reps low and use more weight obviously not an excessive amount of weight to injure myself.

i focus on squats and legs alot because I know the benefits to squats but the benefits haven't found me.

i go with someone usually so I have a spotter and his frame and size was skinny but not like me. over the past year we did so much of the same and he gained muscle and I am amazed of how much he changed in the past year. Myself I have not changed and been doing this for 6+ more years than my friend. I even tried skinnyguy.net and followed the whole package which has awesome information and makes sense but just wouldn't work for me. i think there is something else going on because I can do 300+ push ups with ease, can run 2-3 miles before needing any rest - I dont eat fast food and I would post a picture but just imagine someone 6'3" with a layer of skin around bones... looking in the mirror makes me wanna cry sometimes because I look like I just came out of a concentration camp with cancer. Thanks again for the reply.

Wannabebig Member
    Sorry for the confusion. I was saying currently I was taking in that amount of calories. When I was 17-23 I would eat fast food 10 times a day, and had times where I was at about 4000 calories daily with the addition of 5-6 cans of tuna out of the can. I didn't gain from that so I have just been changing everything because I couldn't keep up that eating at the time. Even now with 3000 calories and my weight - even 1-2lbs of muscle or weight can't be achieved. My friend eats 2000 calories on a good day and doesn't take it seriously but see's amazing results due to following my plan and no he doesn't do steroids lol. Thanks again.

Your lifting routine is irrelevant at 6'3 130 lbs.. You are starving son... You need to eat a ton of food -high fat, high carb. It's that simple.

1 gallon of whole milk a day my friend and you will be huge
    Lifting is my life

I am 15
    @ 155 lbs

I think brad had alot of good points you should listen too. Also maybe consider adding dextrose to your protein shakes for added calories or even think about adding waxy maize starch or swedish oat starch to your shakes... the low molecular nature of these carbs will help you up your calorie/carb intake but empty out of your guts quicker allowing you to eat food soon after and help make real food intake easier sooner.

As for your routine... it depends on your goals, but maybe a Westside for Skinny Bastards routine? focus on compound movements and strength for size gains instead of body part splits. probably have to find a routine that will help with you mma goals if that is priorty.

Just my .02 good luck bro!

Here are some links in case your interested...

These 2 deal with dextrose...

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=78966&tid=

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=78988&tid=

and here is WS4SB for you to read about

http://www.elitefts.com/ws4sb/WS4SB.pdf
    He who gains victory over other men is strong; but he who gains victory over himself is strong(er)

"Get rid of all excess in life. The more you own, the more that owns you. Strip yourself of all things, of all the fat, and leave nothing but brain, muscles and cock. That is life." - Jim Wendler

My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    3000 calories is nothing, eat more.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyBomber View Post
    Your lifting routine is irrelevant at 6'3 130 lbs.. You are starving son... You need to eat a ton of food -high fat, high carb. It's that simple.

yea. eat more.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 10-13-2008 at 04:58 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by goodtimez View Post
    Before getting the "just eat more" comments, I would like to say I eat 2500-3000+ calories daily
    If 3000 calories a day isn't enough, then eat 4000. ( 4000 calories isn't THAT much )

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyBomber View Post
    Agreed. It's that simple.
    Last edited by BigTallOx; 10-13-2008 at 05:08 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    thanks for the response. yes brad did have good points and i am taking all this advice with a open mind. i am here for advice so anything said won't be taken offensively and i am reading everyone responses. i expected alot of "eat more" responses and expecting more lol. any suggestions on achieving this on a more professional level. i work full time as a office manager so I cannot stuff my face how I would like to throughout the day lol. Right now I have breakfast, a snack, lunch, a snack, then dinner and something before sleeping. I usually make protien shakes to have throughout the day but maybe a change in the food itself could help me achieve more calories at the times I can't whip up a full meal. once again thank you to everyone for your advice and i do appreciate it.

side note: this is not prob not the right forum section im sure... but if i could help anyone with general mma, kickboxing, muay thai, krav maga, bjj or judo - please let me know. i have been studying martial arts since I was a young boy and my height with weight give me a huge advantage since the weight classes I fight in people are usually 5'7" on average lol. also if someone knew the correct forum to post in.

This does not warrant very much professionalism.

High fat, high carb...
    Beef,
    Whole milk,
    Cheese,
    Whole eggs,
    Bread,
    Pasta,
    A doughnut,
    Potatoes, French fries... fried food.
    Eat Hamburgers, sausage, Pizza, Doritos... everything.

Any high carb, high fat food you can find... EAT IT!

Oh also, if you're doing any cardio, Stop!
    Last edited by HeavyBomber; 10-13-2008 at 05:23 PM.

It does just come down to eating more. There's no reason to think beyond that.

For a start, add a tbs of olive oil to each meal. Macaroni and cheese is not filling and 1 box is 1200 calories. Do that and you just added about 1500 calories and you will be gaining weight. as you gain muscle, you will need more calories and you will have to continue eating more. This sucks, but there's no way around it.

Another thing I've noticed, if you drink a whey shake in milk w/ olive oil (3 scoops-669 cals, 88pro, 41carbs, 17fat) about a half hour before your meal it will be out of your stomach and not interfere with how much food you can eat. If you drink it after eating, you will be a lot more full a lot longer. My experience anyway.

Oh and make sure to eat a large meal before bed so you're not fasting for much of the night.

And you can schedule a 330 AM proetin shake too. Have it waiting in the fridge. There is 200-1000 more calories for you. Have 2 at work, there is another mass of calories for you. If you want to get bigger you have to eat enough to gain. That can be a big undertaking. Berfles, on this board, has to eat something like 6000 calories a day to maintain 185ish. It takes a commitment. There is no secret.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 10-13-2008 at 05:42 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Make sure your ALWAYS eating no matter what. Make sure each of those meals/snacks are 1000+ calories. Eat trail mix ALL THE TIME no matter what. It's easy and cheap. You may come to a meal during the day and feel full... but eat it anyways, expand that stomach. Wash down EVERYTHING you eat with something that has calories.

Wannabebig Member
    I'm 6'3 also and until last week was 135.

I just bought a weight gainer and drink it twice a day, which adds about 1,500 cal to my diet. I gained 5 pounds in one week already. Coming from someone in the same position, if money is not an object, you can get two cases of them for 60 bucks and that will last you about a month.

EDIT: Just saw that is what you did already.
    Last edited by ACCOLADE; 10-13-2008 at 06:37 PM.

3000 is nothing. 4000 is easy. Eat 4000 for a few weeks and see what that does.
    22 - 5'10@236lbs!
    Bench - 325 (old)
    Squat - 455x2 (old)
    Deadlift - 500(old)

Total: 1280lbs 100% raw

The key to my exercise program is this one simple truth: I hate my body.

Eat 5,000 and see what that does. lol

eat until you puke, keep the puke in your mouth and swallow it down, keep eating. repeat until you are 300 pounds.
    Roll Tide.

All of this advice has been good so far. Really there isn't much more we can tell you. Have you been checked out for type 2 diabetes? thats all I can think of. You just have a really high metabolism. Another thing I would look into is downing straight up natural peanut butter (try and stay away from the processsed stuff... a bit here and there isn't gonna hurt ya, but an entire jug a week and the trans fats will really add up). Finish a few of those every few days and you should be set.

Finally, record your calories on fitday.com so we can get a good idea of how much you're really eating.
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

Wannabebig Member
    thanks for the responses everyone and mrelwooddowd thanks for the links. the first one is very helpful and i understand alot more about the finer details of how it all works.

and with the prolab nlarge2... i drank 2 shakes a day until the 10lbs tub was gone and gained nothing but 20 extra visits to the bathroom lol but that was my experience. im sure the weight gainers work good for alot of people because it was like 900 calories and 52g of protein x2 a day extra.

This is just what runs through my head sometimes and is a OPINION "Knowing that I have had times where I ate ate and ate and drank shakes every chance i could with no results just has me always thinking that if in those years I gained nothing, whats more of doing the same (eating more) going to do for me." Going from 3000 to 4000 is a start but 5000 and 6000 is just not possible without puking and being professional about it. I do have good cardio from training mma currently so I agree that I should up my calorie intake because I am burning alot off doing multiple martial arts and fighting local shows. I just cant do 5000-6000 calories because it won't mix with training and I'd prob puke in the ring before the fight started haha but I'll still never quit or give up. I should train with a stick of butter melting in my mouth LOL that would be a nice high fat meal. Thanks again everyone for replying.

I'll post my calorie intake at the end of this week.

Wannabebig Member
    oh yeah, i forgot to tell Hazerboy that yes i have been checked for type 2 diabetes and tons of other things. one doctor thinks hyperthyroidism could be the cause of not keeping weight on and it is a possibility. anyone know of that being a issue for people trying to gain weight.