The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member
    CALIFORNIA, Bally total fitness is where i shake my ass every day to lose the fat and get into shape do my cardio and lift the weights heavy.

Lifting weights confusion

Hey guys im 5' 10" 360 lbs. was at 392 lbs. 2 months ago. My question is, should i lift heavy weights? for example 3X12 heavy or 3X25 comfortable. i lift weights at least 3 times a week. and cardio 6 times a week. wanna be big with muscle while burning all my fat away. so i'm lifting pretty heavy weights for the build and im good with that. the trainer at my gym which has no muscles told me to take some weight off and do more reeps now im all f***ked up help in this matter. P.S. i eat very lean 6 times a day also take protein shakes.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by bigeddy200 View Post
    Hey guys im 5' 10" 360 lbs. was at 392 lbs. 2 months ago. My question is, should i lift heavy weights? for example 3X12 heavy or 3X25 comfortable. i lift weights at least 3 times a week. and cardio 6 times a week. wanna be big with muscle while burning all my fat away. so i'm lifting pretty heavy weights for the build and im good with that. the trainer at my gym which has no muscles told me to take some weight off and do more reeps now im all f***ked up help in this matter. P.S. i eat very lean 6 times a day also take protein shakes.
    You answered your own question right there Big Eddy.

Banned
    12 is quite a few reps for lifting "hevy weight." I think alot depends on your goals. You mention burniung fat but also mention getting strong. I'm not saying both can't be done at the same time, but if you preferred one over the other it could make a difference on how people answer.

Exactly. The plus that you have going for you in the build muscle/lose fat at the same time, is that you're already overweight. Lifting hard and heavy, while it can be harder on overweight people, will help build muscle and burn fat at the same time.
    Like Travis said, 12 reps isn't really considered heavy - 3-6 reps usually is. Also, as ehubbard said, look at your trainer. No muscle and telling you what you need to do - I'm always in awe of those people.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Wannabebig Member
    CALIFORNIA, Bally total fitness is where i shake my ass every day to lose the fat and get into shape do my cardio and lift the weights heavy.
    Quote Originally Posted by =Travis= View Post
    12 is quite a few reps for lifting "hevy weight." I think alot depends on your goals. You mention burniung fat but also mention getting strong. I'm not saying both can't be done at the same time, but if you preferred one over the other it could make a difference on how people answer.
    my goal is to get ripped lose the fat to expose my muscles.

Wannabebig Member
    Yeah, low weight and higher reps, like 15+ and you will see some tone begin to develop. I'm on the other end of the spectrum personally and wish I was in your position.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterX View Post
    Yeah, low weight and higher reps, like 15+ and you will see some tone begin to develop. I'm on the other end of the spectrum personally and wish I was in your position.
    Nope. He needs to train the big compounds really heavy. If he wants to lose fat, cut cals below maintenance but trust me. Lifting light for 12 reps cuz you wanna be tone will amount to a collosal waste of time and a large amt of frustration. Lift heavy on the big compounds. Forget iso movements.

I'd say go heavy for 3 x 5.

So heavy that you barely get that 5th rep each time.

Trying not to die young.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by McLaughlin View Post
    I'd say go heavy for 3 x 5.

So heavy that you barely get that 5th rep each time.
    yea that what i been doing, lifting heavy til i cant pick it up any more, rest a minute or two and do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by bigeddy200 View Post
    yea that what i been doing, lifting heavy til i cant pick it up any more, rest a minute or two and do it again.
    Right, but I think you should do 3 sets of 5 reps instead of 3 sets of 12.

Trying not to die young.

No offense but you are 140 pounds sir. Just like the misinformed trainer.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
    You answered your own question right there Big Eddy.
    so u think if i keep doing it heavy im doing it right. thanx buddy

You are misinformed. It isnt cool to give advice when you dont know what you are talking about.
    Sarvamangalam!

Yeah, low weight and higher reps, like 15+ and you will see some tone begin to develop.
    Couldn't be further off the mark. When you train with higher reps (>12), the adaptations are mostly metabolic and cellular. With that rep range you will achieve a significant amount of muscular endurance, a small degree of hypertrophy, and very little strength. So if you're after an increase in muscle size (i.e. "toning") then avoid this rep range like the plague.

I would advise training in the 1-5 range with the major compounds (squat, bench, deadlift, overhead press, and maybe even barbell rows) to build your power and strength, and the 8-12 range with the assistance stuff for hypertrophy.

Lose the crappy trainer, and lift heavy. The most important aspect to losing weight, however, is diet.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kastro View Post
    Lose the crappy trainer, and lift heavy. The most important aspect to losing weight, however, is diet.
    Thanx man il lift heavy F**K all those light weights waste of my time i wanna build like, i said like, Mike Wolfe, dam homeboy is big.