The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Back workout

Back workout

Hey

I don't really want a wide back so is there any point in me doing a back workout? My aim is to look slim but with a larger chest and arms.

Also, if I was to do a back workout, instead of chin-ups could I hold dumbells the same way and move them up and down to do the same thing?

Thanks

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by greemah View Post
    I don't really want a wide back so is there any point in me doing a back workout? My aim is to look slim but with a larger chest and arms.
    Working the back is what will actually give you the stereotypical "V shape" that you are probably referring to. You must do deadlifts, bent-over rows, and chin-ups. These 3 are non-negotiable for anyone who considers themself to be of the male species.

Also, if I was to do a back workout, instead of chin-ups could I hold dumbells the same way and move them up and down to do the same thing?
    Um, no...
    Last edited by Lunar Effect; 10-14-2008 at 04:37 PM.

I 2nd^^
    Sarvamangalam!

Ok thanks I will do deadlifts and bent over rows (do they work the same muscle as the rows where you kneel on one side and row with one arm?).

But for chinups I don't have access to a gym/bar and there are no good tree branches around (lol), is there an excercise you can do using weights or something that has the same effect?

I "was" getting tired... 40 Nunc's Avatar
    What do you weigh? My son weighs 120 lbs and does chin-ups on his bedroom door. He literally drags his nose up the door and gets his chin over the top. I weigh 195 now so I'm afraid I'll tear up the hinges if I try - lol!
    "There are no shortcuts. The fact that a shortcut is important to you means that you are a pussy. Let me be clear here: if you'd rather take steroids than do your squats heavy and drink enough milk, then you are a ****ing Pussy. I have no time or patience for ****ing Pussies. Please tell everyone you know that I said this." Mark Rippetoe

Your genetics will determine if you have a big chest and arms, especially since you are not very serious about this. Training should be well rounded or you will develop imbalances that look stupid and cause problems that lead to injury over time if you actually stick to working out.

I'm about 80-90kg (nearly 200 pounds) so don't think the door option would would work too well lol. Any other ideas?

I will do the back workout. I'm doing shoulders, chest, arms, back, legs, and abs. Should we well rounded enough

Always learning
    You need a back workout.

Build your own pull-up bar. Take some 6x6 posts and drill a hole into them, stick some rebar or any metal pipe into it. Then give it a base or dig a hole.
    "Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but no one wanna lift this heavy ass weight."

You should stop into Wal-Mart/Dick's and get one of those chin up bars that screw into your door frame. They are about $20.

Good back routine:
    BB Row (off floor)-5x5
    Chins-5xfailure until you can get 50 reps in 5 sets.
    Deadlift-3x5

This would be if you prefer to do a split routine and devote each day to a general area. If you are a complete beginner (3-6 months in) you will probably be better off with something like Starting Strength or one of the routines ZenMonkey posts all over the place. Most important thing is consistency, so pick something you are cool with that follows the correct principles and stick to it long term. You must add weight and/or reps each workout or you are wasting your time.

Form in #1. It is very easy to progress via slight breakdowns in form and end up having to back track and break bad habits, or get injured.

Good start: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224
    Last edited by anonymous1; 10-14-2008 at 10:01 PM.

Always learning
    I hate relying on those things that you put in a door frame haha. The things you screw into the frame never fit my frame.
    "Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but no one wanna lift this heavy ass weight."

mate this would be called a dumbell shoulder press lol

Banned
    Hey

I don't really want a wide back

Thanks

I do not understand these words you have strewn together.

I "was" getting tired... 40 Nunc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Mike View Post
    I do not understand these words you have strewn together.
    Ha-ha! lol...
    "There are no shortcuts. The fact that a shortcut is important to you means that you are a pussy. Let me be clear here: if you'd rather take steroids than do your squats heavy and drink enough milk, then you are a ****ing Pussy. I have no time or patience for ****ing Pussies. Please tell everyone you know that I said this." Mark Rippetoe

Banned
    Hey

Thanks
    It kills me the way folks think it's so easy to put on muscle. When you say you are afraid to do a certain exercise for fear of a certain muscle getting too big, it is just egregous, pal. Putting on muscle takes incredibly hard work and a lot of time. You're not going to accidentally have a big strong back. Furthermore, a strong back will only make your waste look slimmer.

Quote Originally Posted by growthrep View Post
    It kills me the way folks think it's so easy to put on muscle. When you say you are afraid to do a certain exercise for fear of a certain muscle getting too big, it is just egregous, pal. Putting on muscle takes incredibly hard work and a lot of time. You're not going to accidentally have a big strong back. Furthermore, a strong back will only make your waste look slimmer.
    Yeah, I know what you mean because there's nothing worse than finishing up a back workout on Thursday night and then waking up on Friday with a back like Dorian Yates. It's like "Damn it!!! I just bought a bunch of shirts earlier this week that are now 3 sizes too small."
    Last edited by Lunar Effect; 10-16-2008 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunar Effect View Post
    Yeah, I know what you mean because there's nothing worse than finishing up a back workout on Thursday night and then waking up on Friday with a back like Dorian Yates. It's like "Damn it!!! I just bought a bunch of shirts earlier this week that are now 3 sizes too small."
    I don't care who you are, that's funny stuff right there.

Greemah - these guys are right. You're wanting to look good, albeit slim. Part of the 'looking good' is the V taper from shoulder down the back. That is caused by wide shoulders and big lats, not from chest and biceps.
    You've already said you'll do a back workout, good for you, just make sure you put as much into it as you do your chest and arm workouts.

Think of it this way - having a strong back (legs, too) will help you bench more.

Excuse me, I've got to go eat.
    Last edited by rbtrout; 10-16-2008 at 11:49 AM.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Ok haha I'll take your word for it. I'm doing a back workout twice a week (I do the main muscle groups twice a week with at least one day between them, and two full off days). Only problem now is finding a way to do chinups. That bar that goes in your doorway sounds perfect but I am having trouble finding one in New Zealand (where I live)... Bound to find one sometime though lol

http://www.amazon.com/Door-Gym-Longe...211817&sr=8-14

Lots of other options too if you search around. I used them back in the day and they are less comfortable than a real chin up bar but better than doing DB shoulder presses instead.