Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: random gym rant

Banned

random gym rant

What the hell is wrong with the average male/age 18-25 who lifts at a commercial gym. These two losers who lift at my gym(the one upstairs in my apartment building) were there today rocking weight lifting gloves doing a hardcore chest workout. They got there at the exact same time as me and took my favorite bench so I had to use the other one which is kinda rickety so this already pissed me off. While I was warming up they were just watching me and kinda sneering cuz I like to do the bar first for a bunch of reps, then 95 lbs for a bunch of reps, then 135, etc etc.

Meanwhile, these *******s throw 195 on for their very first set with no warmup and do it like 8 times. Each rep is slow and grinding and looks absurd. They also only go halfway down. By the time they are done with this set, I'm at 225 and bang out 5 quick reps then 255 for 8. They are just staring the entire time and probably thinking "how the **** is this tall skinny guy benching more than me". Their flat bench workout basically went 195x8, 195x4, 195x1, 135x5, 135x5 wtf?
    Last edited by cphafner; 10-14-2008 at 08:53 PM.

Yea man... I attend a college gym. 90% of them curl and bench and then do some cable flys then go home.
    Sarvamangalam!

This came at a good time because I actually experienced almost the same exact thing yesterday with two HUGE guys, and the whole time all they did was freaking bench. I'm talking the the whole hour and 15 I was there, they were on the bench pushing over 400 pounds, and than declining to 300, than 225. Than after, moved onto DB bench press, pressing over 130 dbs. They were there before I came in and I left before they did, and they were still at it.
    8:45 Heaven

Well, just keep doing what your doing I guess. There is going to be guys like that in every gym. My local gym has a threesome of curl jockeys that literally stand in a triangle and do curls so they all face each other. Best part is they are passing around one of those 55lbs fixed mini-barbells. Those guys are gunna be friking jakd dezel.

Ignore em.
    "Fine, if I'm not allowed to light it on fire, can my imaginary friend?"

Quote Originally Posted by Shouji View Post
    This came at a good time because I actually experienced almost the same exact thing yesterday with two HUGE guys, and the whole time all they did was freaking bench. I'm talking the the whole hour and 15 I was there, they were on the bench pushing over 400 pounds, and than declining to 300, than 225. Than after, moved onto DB bench press, pressing over 130 dbs. They were there before I came in and I left before they did, and they were still at it.
    What they are doing apparently works... I would love to bench 400 lbs.

Haha, I have a couple of kids like that at my gym. The one kid deadlifts the bar off of the rack for his friend, then his friend brings 275lbs. down about 4 inches two times, both with his friend straining behind him to help him get the bar up, and then he gets up talking about how easy it was, haha! Good times, haha!

They then proceed to say, "Hey, have you been to Max Nutrition lately? They have this new protein powder that will make you huuuuuge!" I get a little chuckle from those two.

Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    I'm trying to understand what the problem is with this one?

Two huge guys, with huge benches, who spent an hour benching? I've had bench days last >2hours, squat days that have taken 3+ hours...
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Ah, well I haven't been lifting that long so in the eyes of an amateur it seems excessive. O.o
    8:45 Heaven

Always learning
    I love to watch the guys that sling the weight around acting like you need to get your entire body into a curl.
    "Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but no one wanna lift this heavy ass weight."

Quote Originally Posted by LilHillbilly View Post
    I love to watch the guys that sling the weight around acting like you need to get your entire body into a curl.
    Hahaha...I see this every time I'm at the gym. They slap about a 45 and 10 on each side of an Olympic bar, then throw their body around to get the thing up to their chest.

Always learning
    I think they can't decide if they want to dance or lift.

My own personal trainer dumbbell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    That's what I'm talkin bout.

Maybe I should just do hrs. of chest work? Nope.
    But I'm not HUGE.
    Just goes to show that different things (volume, intensity, etc.) do WORK with variables like genes, experience or dedication levels, or even where one's at in the cycle of your training.
    It seems to me that there's lots of room to experiment with the many details after the basics are covered. And the might all work for someone at some time.
    Maybe when my chest is huge it'll take over an hour to stimulate the muscle fibers or whatever.
    For now I'm still covering those basics while lifting with nuthin to distract me from my mission to move demsumbeeches exept the weights themselves cuz I'm liftin at home!
    Yes, I would love to lift 400lbs, but I'm still workin up to 300.
    There's my rant.
    Jason

It is currently a fad, at this writing, for boys to think they need a "six pack", although most of them don't have an ice chest to put it in.
    -Mark Rippetoe

Banned
    I go to a pretty serious commercial gym that caters to powerlifters with a separate room set up with all powerlifting style equipment normally, but sometimes I still have to go to the college gym whenever the commercial gym's hours don't agree with my particular schedule for the day.

College gyms are hillarious, so many idiots it's not even funny. One night I was doing some bench presses, working my way up from the bar to 255ish, and this little dude on the bench beside me decides he's going to go straight from 135 to 225 for his 2nd set. I was thinking oh great, I better offer him a spot, which he declined. Next thing I know he couldn't get the bar up after rep 3 and someone had to rescue him. So what does he do for his 3rd set? 245!!! WTF!!! this time his budy gets there and damn near does all the work each rep. Too stupid to even bother giving advice to him.

Quote Originally Posted by LilHillbilly View Post
    You mean that doesn't qualify as a heavy compound lift?

Damn it, I'm going to have to start over.

Trying not to die young.

Banned
    My biggest gripe is with the morons at the dumbell rack who select a pair and stand so ^*^&** close to the rack that noone else can get in there and get a set of dbs. I was politley waiting for one to finish his set and the guy could see me waiting because there's a big mirror in front of us. When I understood he thought he was a bad ass for not moving I said "are you actually serious, man?" He looks at me in disbelief and says "oh sorry, dude." Unreal!

Quote Originally Posted by Runty View Post
    My local gym has a threesome of curl jockeys that literally stand in a triangle and do curls so they all face each other.
    Where do you work out? I live in the same area...and it might be fun to check this out!
    5'6", 145 lbs.

My rant from yesterdays workout.....I know some of you may not like to let people work in between your sets but I get furious when i ask and the answer I get is "I only have 3 more sets." This guy finishes his set and reads the paper for 10 minutes, does another set and reads for 10 minutes. With the amount of time your taking I will be done lifting and have your weight back on that you wont even know I touched it.
    5'10" 200lbs
    BF-15%
    Bench-305x1
    Deadlift-440x1
    Squat-will know soon

Quote Originally Posted by 300for1 View Post
    My rant from yesterdays workout.....I know some of you may not like to let people work in between your sets but I get furious when i ask and the answer I get is "I only have 3 more sets." This guy finishes his set and reads the paper for 10 minutes, does another set and reads for 10 minutes. With the amount of time your taking I will be done lifting and have your weight back on that you wont even know I touched it.
    Been there and done that. Typically, I don't workout on Saturdays, but I'd missed a w/o during the week and thought I'd make up for it. Saturday is a zoo at that gym. This guy sitting on the bench reading the paper. I asked if I could use the bench and he said no, he was working out. I asked if I could work in with him, again no. So I went to do some db inclines. Same thing, he'd do a set then read the paper for 5 minutes. I finally went and told him to start lifting, finish up and move off the bench or I'd throw his a$$ out of the free weight area. This got several to start laughing. He threatened to tell the manager and I told him to do so. He didn't know that I knew the manager rather well. The 2 of them came back, I told the manager what was going on and the manager told the guy to get rid of the paper in the workout room. The guy left......of course, I really didn't care. What a bozo.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Banned
    Ah, well I haven't been lifting that long so in the eyes of an amateur it seems excessive. O.o
    When you have 3 or 4 guys getting up to those weights even the warmups can take some time. Hell we can be 45 minutes into our squat workouts and not even up to singles yet.

Even more so if suits/shirts are involved.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Reko View Post
    When you have 3 or 4 guys getting up to those weights even the warmups can take some time. Hell we can be 45 minutes into our squat workouts and not even up to singles yet.

Even more so if suits/shirts are involved.
    Ah yes, such is the way of the fat powerlifter. More rest...

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
    Ah yes, such is the way of the fat powerlifter. More rest...
    It's a slow process for me getting stronger. When I do some really hard reps, it takes a bit of time to catch my breath, then rest a few before being ready to go again. So my rest times can be rather long. I do try to move fast if I'm going lighter.

So to the bigger guys do you feel you almost have to rest several minutes between sets, at times? Or is it just my endurance & conditioning lacking.
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bill View Post
    It's a slow process for me getting stronger. When I do some really hard reps, it takes a bit of time to catch my breath, then rest a few before being ready to go again. So my rest times can be rather long. I do try to move fast if I'm going lighter.

So to the bigger guys do you feel you almost have to rest several minutes between sets, at times? Or is it just my endurance & conditioning lacking.
    On squats and DL, I usually have about 2-3 minutes between sets.......

For me, as well. On 1 and 2 reps of dls or squats, 2-3 minutes rest, some times longer.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rbtrout View Post
    For me, as well. On 1 and 2 reps of dls or squats, 2-3 minutes rest, some times longer.
    Same here. If you're working out with enough intensity on the big 3 (deads, bench and triceps kickback), you will need a few minutes to get ready for the next set.

Always learning
    Quote Originally Posted by McLaughlin View Post
    You mean that doesn't qualify as a heavy compound lift?

Damn it, I'm going to have to start over.
    Well, only if you are bending your knees, thrusting with your hips, bobbing your head, and slinging the dumbbells so momentum helps you out. *nods*