Thread: Logic!!!

Logic!!!

I have a question, and I'm prolly gonna get some shiat for it, but here it goes. If someone is just starting to work out, I'm assuming that their body can handle doing a few more sets than what is recommended. Would it make sense to do somewhere around 16 sets per muscle for the first month or two, then start to the recommended 4-10 sets per muscle? Let me know your guys's thoughts please.

Beardy Bloke
    No, imo your tendons and joints will still suffer from the stress, and I don't beleive you are any less prone to overtraining.
    AL
    Winners never quit, quitters never win, but those who never win and never quit are idiots.

Extremely Disturbed
    Why start with bad habits? I had high volume habits for a while and nothing good came of it.
    H

3:16
    the point of doing more sets is?
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Well, when I worked out a few years back, I did high volume and saw some pretty good results. I would do about 4 exercises at 4 sets a piece. Sets of 10 8 6 6. That's why I am curious if it will be that bad to do something like that.

Originally posted by BIG-AL
    No, imo your tendons and joints will still suffer from the stress, and I don't beleive you are any less prone to overtraining.
    AL
    That's not a bad thing over the short term.

I don't see why you'd train any different at the beginning, though. If you want to try high volume, go for it. Just remember to add in deloading phases every month or so.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Power, what's deloading phase? How does that work?

Without going into the complexities, its basically a week of fewer training days, fewer exercises, fewer sets, lighter weights, or any combination.

The idea is to provide a period of less stress after a period of heavy stress for recuperatoin purposes.

Every 3-6 weeks is a good idea on heavy training programs.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

:wtihstupi
    Started Lifting Again!
    Msn Messenger: delveyboy@hotmail.com
    Im always pissed off and have occasional peaceful spells - By MrWebb78
    Nothing says masculin like a dump on the floor - by Intensity

i use to do like 12 sets of bp, little to no gains, do like 6-8 sets instead

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    hahaha delvey you screwed up your stupid smiley

::currently on a deloading phase::

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    God would never screw up a smiley.

I know God, and you are no God.

BTW, your muscles, first starting out, are soft and weak, like a bowl of soba. You must work out correctly, that is, for strength and mass.

First starting out, your muscles will react to anything you do to them. Just like when a seasoned BBer changes up his routine to shock his muscles to grow, you are, in essence, shocking your muscles for the first time, so do it correctly, zombie bait.

I thing beginners (and I mean those just starting out), spend a little more time doing more sets of the basics in order to learn the movements.

So I don't think it is a bad idea.

As the loading increases and intensity increases, the individual will have to adjust the workout to find the optimal volume.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Beardy Bloke
    I think that doing more as a new trainee than you would as a seasoned lifter is asking for injury.
    AL
    Winners never quit, quitters never win, but those who never win and never quit are idiots.

So let me ask you this...

Is it bad to do supersets on your muscles every week or should they be done in moderation (meaning every other week or two)?