Thread: Career / Job advice?

Banned

Career / Job advice?

Hey everyone, ive been struggling to find a job and figure this would be a great place to get some advice. My problem is, that I have no clue what I want to do.

I have a Bachelor's Degree in Kinesiology, and am currently working on my Master's Degree in Biomechanics. I enjoy this stuff more than anything, but there aren't any specific careers that really stand out to me.

Ive been a personal trainer for the past 2 years and enjoy much of this as well, but the avg pay of 20-30k isn'ts appealing to me.

Originally in college, I was an Engineering major. I enjoy science, and problem solving, math, etc.., and want a career that invovles these aspects to some extent.

Any suggestions?

Also, any general suggestions on figuring out what I should do. I have already taken a lot of the tests my career center offers, and they aren't too helpful.

In addition, im considering working with a "temp agency" just to get out there and experience some different fields, but I would also like to have some direction before that.

Thanks in advance.... I really appreciate it.
    Last edited by Dan Fanelli; 01-24-2011 at 03:33 PM.

Garage Lifter
    If you an interest in medicine Pharmacy is good. Pharmacists make good money and can get a job almost anywhere and are in huge demand. Depending on your previous course work you're looking at an additional 3 to 4 years though.

Nurses and Physician's Assistant also do pretty well and are in high demand.
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Stay out of education - Haha
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I don't know what kind of careers are open to people with your educational background so my advice will be very general.

Think of a bunch of things that you could do and figure out how much work/time it will take you get there. Pick something that seems interesting and you're willing to put in the time to achieve and then just do it. If you don't have a burning desire to do something in particular, just pick something that sounds good and do it. I have seen a lot of people, probably about your age, who don't know exactly what they want to do so they end up spinning their wheels.

There is nothing wrong with being unsure about what you want to do. But for a lot of people, the only way to be sure is to try something. If you don't enjoy it after giving it an honest try, move on. Your career path doesn't have to be linear, but always make sure you are doing something to move your life forward.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

And again, I don't know much about personal training but I am almost positive there is a market for trainers who make more than 20-30k a year. If you have the ambition, persistence and ability I'm sure you can do better than that. Don't spend your life chasing the career that comes with the largest average salary (or largest salary, unless money is the motivating factor in your life).
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Banned
    @ StLRPh Unfortunately at this point in my life, I need to start making money, and after 8+ years of school im not looking to go for more

@ OR For sure. Not something I want to do anyways.

@ Jorge Thx for the suggestions. Im thinking of trying a temp agency to see if that opens any doors. Im sure personal training is something i'll always do on the side, but I dont have to ambition to do it full time and succeed.

Anyone else have suggestions?

Not sure what you're really looking to get in to, or the demand in CA, but here police and fire services are ALWAYS hiring. Our city, and most in the area, start out at around 50,000 a year. If you go Fire, go for full Paramedic cert, you can get your RN and work swing shifts on your days off making 50-75$ an hour, we have a lot of medics here that went that route. But, like I said not sure what you're interested in. If it's in the OP, sorry, I just scanned through it. Job market isn't wide open right now and all, sometimes you gotta take what you can get.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Banned
    You say you like engineering, math, etc.

Engineering jobs *require* at minimum a bachelor's degree in most cases, unless you are just a natural genius or something. Computer programming jobs, on the other hand, do not require a CS degree. There are great programmers with no degrees and horrible programmers with degrees. I have a degree in CS and fall somewhere in the middle. I landed a job literally within 2 days after graduation after putting a resume on Monster. Programming is easily taught to people who get logic and math. Just buy a few books, start writing programs, and get an entry level job.

Teacher = 3 month pay vacation

Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post

Engineering jobs *require* at minimum a bachelor's degree in most cases, unless you are just a natural genius or something. Computer programming jobs, on the other hand, do not require a CS degree. There are great programmers with no degrees and horrible programmers with degrees. I have a degree in CS and fall somewhere in the middle. I landed a job literally within 2 days after graduation after putting a resume on Monster. Programming is easily taught to people who get logic and math. Just buy a few books, start writing programs, and get an entry level job.
    This. I do prettymuch the same job w/o the education and currently make around 60k/yr in my 2nd year employed and currently lined up to for management.
    Best unequipped meet lifts - 120kg Open class
    Sq: 629lbs
    Bp: 330lbs
    Dl: 585lbs
    Training since Dec 2008.

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fanelli View Post
    Hey everyone, ive been struggling to find a job and figure this would be a great place to get some advice. My problem is, that I have no clue what I want to do.

I have a Bachelor's Degree in Kinesiology, and am currently working on my Master's Degree in Biomechanics. I enjoy this stuff more than anything, but there aren't any specific careers that really stand out to me.

Ive been a personal trainer for the past 2 years and enjoy much of this as well, but the avg pay of 20-30k isn'ts appealing to me.

Thanks in advance.... I really appreciate it.

What? I'm in my 2and year and profit 60k+ in a low cost of living area. Go independent if you enjoy it.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post

Interesting.... This is more in line with what I want to do... I dont know much about programming, but I do pretty well with computers and can learn pretty quickly. I'll definately look into this field.

At the moment, I think im looking at Bioscience, Computer science, or some other general science.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
    What? I'm in my 2and year and profit 60k+ in a low cost of living area. Go independent if you enjoy it.
    Ya, I know it can be done, im just not sure for me at this moment it would work to well. Maybe down the road we'll see.

Banned
    Do what you enjoy and are passionate about and just hope to God it will somehow pay off. It should eventually.

One of the reasons I haven't posted on here too much the last couple of months is because I've been completely broke and haven't been able to afford a gym membership or enough food. It absolutely sucks, but I managed to get a masters in something I really enjoyed and I've just got an internship with my dream employers. Hopefully after another nine months I should have a well-paying job doing something I love. The downside is that I've been doing part-time jobs and been on different forms of housing and jobseeker benefits for a couple of months and will be for a few more. But I've picked my goals and I'm going to make them happen - even if it means relying on the government/my parents for a bit longer and sacrificing my other goals temporarily. Although I need a gym membership soon, I hate not lifting.

If you're wanting to try out different things then a temp agency seems a good thing to do. And like others have said, every other advert on job websites is for IT/programming/web design, so if you can do that you're set. Also, some people do like teaching...

Wannabebig Member
    what kind of engineering were you going for? im currently in my junior year for mechanical engineering, classes are getting tough but i couldnt imagine being in any other field

Banned
    @ J.C. Ya, sounds like good advice. I just dont want to get stuck in a tedious job a monkey could do. I want to have to think, and be rewarded for performance

@ Alphagoose Mechanical engineering was what I was going for. I really wish I would have stayed with it or gone physics, or computer science. But I like biomechanics as well, it just doens't seem to be in as high of demand.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fanelli View Post
    @ J.C. Ya, sounds like good advice. I just dont want to get stuck in a tedious job a monkey could do. I want to have to think, and be rewarded for performance

@ Alphagoose Mechanical engineering was what I was going for. I really wish I would have stayed with it or gone physics, or computer science. But I like biomechanics as well, it just doens't seem to be in as high of demand.
    Dan, you could always take the biomechanics and attempt to get some administration courses as well. Health administration will be a field growing rapidly over the next several years, and the starting pay is quite good.

"Success is never behind you, it is always, always in front of you."

Wannabebig Member

Career Advice

Hey Dan,

I was in the same position as you were...my B.S. was in Exercise Science and at one point I was working 3 jobs just to make a measley 35k. I couldn't even afford, let alone have the time, to keep up with the payments on my CSCS and HFS certifications! This is ok if you are alone, but I also had a wife and pets to support. I had the opportunity to go back to school and am now seeking out my MBA with a focus in accounting. You said you like math, and engineering and accounting are in great demand right now (they work 40hr weeks and get paid $31/hr). Most programs are just two years and you can take classes at night or on weekends so you can continue your training until it can possibly become just a part-time venture. I am very passionate about training people, however, it can be very difficult working for a corporation that takes 70% of what your clients pay you. Here are some things I suggest:

1) Let your passion drive you. There are people that do make it despite the huge turnover rate in personal training. Don't get down on yourself. When you get down, GOYA (get off your ***** and control your destiny).

2) Become an entrepreneur and be your own boss. This is the true way to money. It does take some work to get started. Read as much as you can. www.entrepreneur.com.
    *Be very careful if you have signed a non-compete agreement with your employer. They can seriously f*** you over if you have and start training people on the side.

3) Go back to school for something else. Working split shifts and 50 hours per week while only getting paid for 30 hours doing training does get old. I think training is a great part-time venture when you are the boss and its just you working for the clients and not some corporation in between. Check out the occupational outlook handbook and do your research on an occupation that may be of interest.

You can make it happen man. I hope this helps!
    "I have learned that success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles overcome while trying to succeed."
    -Booker T Washington
    Political Activist

You're only as good as your last meet...which makes me not so good.