The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Becoming a Personal Trainer

So I have recently been laid off, and judging from my discussions with various recruiters, I get the feeling that it is not likely that I will be employed again in the same industry (finance) for quite some time. So at this time I am contemplating a career shift. I am looking at the various certifications and am wondering which, if any, carry more weight in the industry (I have heard NSCS CPT or CSCS) as the most well-regarded. I also know that for any NSCA exam you potentially have to wait until the next exam date (I am looking at getting the certs done ASAP). So someone else pointed me in the direction of the ACSM certification which you can take at anytime. I have also thought about just getting a quick and easy certification first, getting my feet wet, and then taking the CSCS.

Anyway, if anyone could offer some advice on the above and getting into the industry in general that would be greatly appreciated. I realize that my biggest obstacle will be the sales part of the job (particularly in this rapidly depreciating economy). But I would like to get a feeling for what, if any, weight the various certifications carry. I would also like to add that I would prefer to work with younger athletes, but would defintely take on any client at first, which is part of the reason I am considering the CSCS. Thanks!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

you can take nsca cpt or cscs at online testing center. They have testing dates bi weekly or monthly
    Blocka Blocka

I am AMINAL

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    yeah the CSCS takes a while, u can try NASM u can buy the books study and take the test, and its accepted at a lot of places
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    I've heard ACE is a great certification.. Its what a personal trainer recommended to me to become certified.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Banned
    It really depends on who you want to work with. If your goal is to get into schools and work with athletes, then the CSCS or NASM are the ones to have. If you want to work at the gym down the street getting people in shape, use whatever the gym recommends.

I have NASM which is good.It complements for me the two top NSCA and NASM. Nasm has a lot of corrective and assesment that I like. The other is old school which I like too. And then to complement I am doing NSCA Cpt soon. and then CSCS because my goal is to work with athletes.
    Last edited by Donnajo; 10-16-2008 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
    It really depends on who you want to work with. If your goal is to get into schools and work with athletes, then the CSCS or NASM are the ones to have. If you want to work at the gym down the street getting people in shape, use whatever the gym recommends.
    I would rather have my own place and work with athletes there than work as a college S&C coach. I guess the idea is to get my feet wet training Joe & Jane Six Pack and then progress to finding a niche with local athletes.

Wannabebig New Member
    Great! thanks for the advice too.. I wanted to move out as well because I am not happy with my career. I guess, this is something I would have to do for a while now... I need a break from work though. Nice to read your comments.. it's helpful for my reflection.

Wannabebig Member
    To take the NSCA CSCS you need to have a four year degree or at least 90 credits in the field. It is also very difficult to pass (last time I checked the pass rate was 80% or so).

Also, be ready to put forth about $1500 in continuing education credits. Make sure you have the available income and are truly passionate about the field!

The NSCA CSCS and CPT are the most recognized. ACE is pretty easy and ok. ISSA is a joke. Be careful which cert you get.
    "I have learned that success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles overcome while trying to succeed."
    -Booker T Washington
    Political Activist

You're only as good as your last meet...which makes me not so good.