The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

When should I start bulking again?

Just a little background 9 months ago I started taking up body building and I went on a bulk for 9 months. I went from 112lbs to 145 lbs from Jan to Sept as of now. My bodyfat shot from roughly 7.5-8% to 13.3% roughly so about 5%, I just started a cut last thursday to try to get it back down to single digits before I start my bulk again. I dont want to bulk and get to such a high bf that it will be extremely difficult to get back to single digit numbers. What do you guys think? im currently at 11.6% bf and I want to reach 9%, whats a realistic timeframe to get to 9 bf% on a good diet ... I take WHEY protein morning, post workout and before I go to bed. I eat about my weight in protein, I am also on the Starting Strength program, stats are bench 125, squat 140, deadlift 170 (roughly 141lbs 11.6% bf)
    Last edited by foth; 10-02-2008 at 08:44 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I think it really depends on your goals.

Do you wanna be huge and strong as a bull?

If yes. Eat your ass off, and train harder.

If no, cut weight and bulk later.

I think its all personal choice, if you wanna be in single digit bf%, go for it. Just decide your goals, make a plan and stick to it.

Good luck.

You're 145lbs. Your only focus should be weight gain at this point. Just up your cardio, watch what you're eating and keep an eye on your body fat.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Im having the exact same dilemma, but im at 18% bodyfat, so I'm expected to cut... you can probably bulk a little more since you have some fat to gain before its an issue for you...

Start bulking now.

Trying not to die young.

HIIT (high intensity interval training on the stationary bike, using a 20on:40off cycle, 2 minute warmup, 2 minute cooldown, and start with like 7-8 reps, adding a 'rep' a week until you get up to like 12 reps or so then just add intensity (RPMs))

Banned
    you should have stopped typing halfway through that post and ate again. Seriously? 145lbs.?

Eat Kid, EAT

Quote Originally Posted by WillNoble View Post
    you should have stopped typing halfway through that post and ate again.
    LOL

eh not sure about that. He didn't say how tall he was and what his goals were, really. He's already said he doesn't want to get fat. Cramming your face full of food is a sure-fire way to get fat (and strong since you have such an excess amount of calories available for growing).

A better way is to bulk very slowly, yes you'll gain less muscle, but a) you won't have to feel like crap when you gain 5-10 pounds of fat (some of us like to be in shape year around) and b) it will probably be healthier for you long-run.

You can drop the whey before bed and switch to casein protein. A good idea is just to eat a (relatively big) chunk of cheese before bed. It releases much slower throughout the night and provides protein longer than whey does (which is a fast releasing protein). Or if you still want to stick with your whey, then just toss some peanut butter in there to slow down absorption.
    Last edited by samadhi_smiles; 10-05-2008 at 09:24 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by samadhi_smiles View Post
    eh not sure about that. He didn't say how tall he was and what his goals were, really. He's already said he doesn't want to get fat. Cramming your face full of food is a sure-fire way to get fat (and strong since you have such an excess amount of calories available for growing).

A better way is to bulk very slowly, yes you'll gain less muscle, but a) you won't have to feel like crap when you gain 5-10 pounds of fat (some of us like to be in shape year around) and b) it will probably be healthier for you long-run.

You can drop the whey before bed and switch to casein protein. A good idea is just to eat a (relatively big) chunk of cheese before bed. It releases much slower throughout the night and provides protein longer than whey does (which is a fast releasing protein). Or if you still want to stick with your whey, then just toss some peanut butter in there to slow down absorption.

If you would like to be a yoga instructor, and remain where you are at... read: scrawny

then by all means please listen to this advice.

Banned
    HIIT (high intensity interval training on the stationary bike, using a 20on:40off cycle, 2 minute warmup, 2 minute cooldown, and start with like 7-8 reps, adding a 'rep' a week until you get up to like 12 reps or so then just add intensity (RPMs))
    Wat?

Banned

hey will, good one bro! I like the discourage-any-other-perspective approach to internet discussion, makes for real stimulating conversation

Banned
    hey will, good one bro! I like the discourage-any-other-perspective approach to internet discussion, makes for real stimulating conversation
    No I just love your position of trying to advise on how to get bigger & Stronger, when you yourself know nothing of either...

quite amusing

Do you suggest the slower burning one for use when I just woke up in the morning as well (or do you suggest whey for that?)

I think I decided I will get back on a dirty bulk I want to get to 160 within 10-12 weeks and see if thats possible...

Man your 145 pounds! Even if you were very lean you would look like an Ethiopian. Eat up!

I started out at your weight and ate like a mofo. I got up to about 190 in 8 months. I carried some fat on me though, but I looked a hell of a lot better. I cut down to 175 and than bulked up again to about 205. I than cut again down to about 183, leaner than ever (which isnt incredibly lean, I would say around 13% bf). This is where I am now and I plan on hitting 210 before I even think about cutting!

EAT EAT EAT