Thread: Dimmel Deadlifts

Dimmel Deadlifts

Really kick your ass, lol! I started with 315 and it was way too easy, so I figured 405 wouldn't be bad......I was wrong, lol. My back was pumped/sore for an hour and a half after I finished my 4th set! This is my new favorite exercise, lol!
    Last edited by NickW; 10-23-2008 at 04:42 PM.

very cool! I have the seminar video and missed this... need to go back and watch but here's a video for the inevitable question...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5NZs97ehGU

and you were using 315 to 405? holy shnikes bro!
    Last edited by huskybear; 10-23-2008 at 05:33 PM.
    He who gains victory over other men is strong; but he who gains victory over himself is strong(er)

"Get rid of all excess in life. The more you own, the more that owns you. Strip yourself of all things, of all the fat, and leave nothing but brain, muscles and cock. That is life." - Jim Wendler

My Journal

Maybe the training protocol for this exercise has changed but I distinctly remember Dave Tate saying at some point in an older video that the exercise was to be done light and something like "225 would be for a 700lb deadlifter"... If you are going that heavy, it's probably not particularly fast.
    Last edited by Sensei; 10-23-2008 at 06:54 PM.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Maybe the training protocol for this exercise has changed but I distinctly remember Dave Tate saying at some point in an older video that the exercise was to be done light and something like "225 would be for a 700lb deadlifter"... If you are going that heavy, it's probably not particularly fast.
    yeah, he says "315 is a tremendous amount of weight." then something about an 800 squat.

if you are doing them too heavy, it might be more of a RDL type movement.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

All my reps were fast, and it was easy doing all the reps.....until my lower back got pumped up so bad, reps were still fast but I took longer between sets.
    Last edited by NickW; 10-23-2008 at 07:23 PM.

Sorry Nick - I didn't realize you were the freak (in a good way) that you are...
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

No, you guys are right, its not just about speed. The whole point of them is to get blood back to the area. its a lower back rehab movement. Not to be heavy. 315 is super heavy, but then again Nick is a pretty impressive lifter

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

i know 225 kicks my ass! i dont know if i do them right, but i do very slow on the way down and push my but back rather than bend over, then throw hips foward hard for the concentric phase. 2 sets of 20 reps like that is tough! has my hams, glutes, and low back screaming
    All Time 198 Squat Record of 1,050 pounds
    http://ironscene.com/view_video.php?...e=&category=tr

All Time 220 Squat Record of 1,100 pounds

** 1063 squat , 611 bench, and 733 deadlift for 2408 Total
    All Time 242 Squat Record of 1,108 pounds At 228)
    ** 1108 squat , 639 bench, and 700 deadlift for 2447 Total

What I Lack in Genetics, I Make Up For With Determination and Discipline

One of my training partners does these, he is a 700 lbs puller and uses 225 lbs since it is more of a "rehab/pump" movement.

They seem pretty effective for really taxing your low back and glutes.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

I've done deads like with with 315 and 405 but I can't squat for anything which makes me wonder if I'm doing them right.. but partials have always been my strong suit.. if anyone has seen me pull..it's pretty much a sldl LOL

that looks like it would be hell on the pud though popping them through like that.. I was just repping them out from below my knees as fast as I could. Looks like I answered my own question.
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

To be honest ryan, if you are doing these with 315 and 405 you are not doing them right. Its not supposed to be a strength exercise. its for rehab

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Ive had some pretty good luck with them bringing up my hip strength. I use 225-245lbs. 2 sets of 15-20.

I do them the same way i see people do them, as an explosive movement, bar down then snap up with hips.
    960/530/749 @ 242
    903/524/738 @ 220

Question - would these be a good rotation from Romanian deadlifts for accessory work where I don't have access to a reverse hyper for my Dynamic Lower day? Seems as though this might work to change it up a bit... am I thinking about this correctly?
    He who gains victory over other men is strong; but he who gains victory over himself is strong(er)

"Get rid of all excess in life. The more you own, the more that owns you. Strip yourself of all things, of all the fat, and leave nothing but brain, muscles and cock. That is life." - Jim Wendler

My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by huskybear View Post
    Question - would these be a good rotation from Romanian deadlifts for accessory work where I don't have access to a reverse hyper for my Dynamic Lower day? Seems as though this might work to change it up a bit... am I thinking about this correctly?
    sure. do keep in mind they are supposed to be to get some blood flowing in the back/posterior chain. i like to throw them in on DE squat days. if you are looking for a strength exercise, i wouldn't go to Dimels.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    sure. do keep in mind they are supposed to be to get some blood flowing in the back/posterior chain. i like to throw them in on DE squat days. if you are looking for a strength exercise, i wouldn't go to Dimels.
    cool... so maybe even a good substitute every couple of waves to get blood flowing in or when I'm feeling particularly beat up... much appreciated!

My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    x2 - Lones is smart

so it's not an accessory movement like say floor presses or board presses would be for the deadlift but just rehab like a RH? And the rep scheme is recommended to be high for maximum effect?

Quote Originally Posted by thewicked View Post
    so it's not an accessory movement like say floor presses or board presses would be for the deadlift but just rehab like a RH? And the rep scheme is recommended to be high for maximum effect?
    pretty much...the reverse hyper is a great decompression tool, but when done heavy they will make your posterior chain strong as F***.

think of it like this:

Dimel dead: high rep, lighter weight, rehabilitation
    full range dead (done heavy): heavier weight, strength exercise

reverse hypers (light): great for rehab and decompression (another good idea for a movement on DE or ME squat day to help with recovery)
    reverse hypers (heavy): one of the best movements for gaining strength in the low back, hams, and glutes.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

funny thing was i didn't realize this was an actual movement..but distinctly remember josh bryant using it to warm up with before a push pull meet.. with 585 for the fastest triple i've ever seen.