The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Croxdale View Post
    So, does that mean you "only take 5 lb jumps" on your 1RM, max deadlift?

While being cautious is a good thing, you don't want to be overly conservative.

Let you training poundage and reps guide you in your 1RM, max, selection. Over time, we all learn what our training poundage/reps will equate to on a 1RM, max lift.

Another thing that I learned from one of the great deadlifters, Chip McCain. McCain pulled a world record in 1979 of 799 lbs at 198 lbs.

In going over McCain's deadlift training, I noticed that McCain jumped his training weight in one session BEYOND what it should have been. McCain pulled the weight with power to spare.

I ask McCain why he jumped BEYOND what he should have taken. McCain replied, "Because I knew that I could."

Great athletes, at times, know what they can do. We all, to some extent, have this quality.

Kenny Croxdale
    You do make sense man. I've been working in the 5 rep range, so I just add 5 lbs. each time I deadlift. I would say that I've been taking a conservative approach to it to avoid injury. I've been considering competing, so I may become more agressive if I do start to compete.

Quote Originally Posted by CMAND21 View Post
    I alway find that when I have had a really good Dead workout my hams and glutes are burning and not my low back. That pain comes the next day.
    If it does not hurt a little is it worth doing?
    As you know, you cannot solely judge the quality of pain, if it hurts. But it is a good indicator that you have sufficiently worked the muscles involved.

That does not mean that easier workout are unproductive. Each training session build on the next. You start out with an easy session, then progress to a medium, and then harder session. That is what "Periodization" is about.

Training sessions are like warm up set at a meet. Your warm up sets prepare you for you 1RM, one repetition max.

That is exactly what your training sessions are. As an example, let's say your "Periodization" program is four weeks.

Week 1 is your first warm set.
    Week 2 is your second warm up set.
    Week 3 is your third warm up set.
    Week 4 is where you squeeze everthhing you can get out of your workout.

That means the day after Week 4 you going to feel it, you body was taxes and you know it.

Week 5 is where you start over. Week 5 is Week 1 of your new "Periodization" program. It is a light easy week. It is a recovery week.

Just because it is an easy week dosen't mean that is it unproductive. It allows restoration to take place.

Kenny Croxdale