The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

lifting and recovery days

when working out should i use enough weight so i can finish 3 sets of 10 without to much strain or do i need the strain and lift enough weight so i can JUST finish a set of 10? basically all im asking is should i make my muscles work really hard when i lift or should i go for muscle endurance and build up gradually?

on the recovery days how should i eat to get maximum results.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I "was" getting tired... 40 Nunc's Avatar
    Rippetoes Starting Strength ...
    "There are no shortcuts. The fact that a shortcut is important to you means that you are a pussy. Let me be clear here: if you'd rather take steroids than do your squats heavy and drink enough milk, then you are a ****ing Pussy. I have no time or patience for ****ing Pussies. Please tell everyone you know that I said this." Mark Rippetoe

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bass slayer View Post
    when working out should i use enough weight so i can finish 3 sets of 10 without to much strain or do i need the strain and lift enough weight so i can JUST finish a set of 10? basically all im asking is should i make my muscles work really hard when i lift or should i go for muscle endurance and build up gradually?

on the recovery days how should i eat to get maximum results.
    It should take everything you've got to get that last rep out so you convince your body it NEEDS to put on muscle in order to SURVIVE (hence my name -- growth rep). Search the net for 5x5 or a basic power lifting routine and remember to eat big if you wanna be big.

Wannabebig Member
    I think the right motto is lift heavy, eat heavy. And you don't have to go to complete failure every time to get bigger. Like a wise man here said, mix it up!
    6'0" 185

I "was" getting tired... 40 Nunc's Avatar
    MisterX, I'm not trying to bust your chops, but if you're working to get back to 175 lbs and wrist curls are one of your main exercises - you may need to reconsider your routine... Squats and deads need to be worked in there somewhere.
    "There are no shortcuts. The fact that a shortcut is important to you means that you are a pussy. Let me be clear here: if you'd rather take steroids than do your squats heavy and drink enough milk, then you are a ****ing Pussy. I have no time or patience for ****ing Pussies. Please tell everyone you know that I said this." Mark Rippetoe

If you're training to a point where you can just barely bang out that last rep, and it's your third set, then you're doing fine. You want to be working with a weight that's 60% of your one rep max or more, and stay below 12 reps. I usually go with 8 for my "increase the weight" point. Some people dosets of 5 or 3. It really all depends on what you're after. 15+ reps is more endurance.

Find yourself a decent routine and follow it, though. There's several on this site. Top left of the page in the dropdown.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083