The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 162
  1. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    118
    will do thanks for everything, ill make sure to keep ya posted once i start...and reactions...oh one more question...do the days matter of the routine? for ex: start on a monday and have the weekends off? im a new dad and rest/time is kind of an issue. im used to doin a mon wed fri routine but can follow it as much as i can...just wonderin tho

  2. #27
    Speed Coach and Lifter
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by betog22 View Post
    will do thanks for everything, ill make sure to keep ya posted once i start...and reactions...oh one more question...do the days matter of the routine? for ex: start on a monday and have the weekends off? im a new dad and rest/time is kind of an issue. im used to doin a mon wed fri routine but can follow it as much as i can...just wonderin tho
    The sunday workout is very important, so see where you want to go and make your own decision on this.

    Now timing of the workouts, always do the track/running stuff first, THEN do the lifting. On wednesday/friday you can do the running right before the lifting, however on sunday do the track stuff around 12 pm maybe or anytime earlier in the day and then lifting later on.

  3. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    118
    the reason i ask if i can move the routines day like sundays start on monday and mondays on tues and so on is because i know for a fact this crappy town dont open up on sundays...

  4. #29
    Speed Coach and Lifter
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by betog22 View Post
    the reason i ask if i can move the routines day like sundays start on monday and mondays on tues and so on is because i know for a fact this crappy town dont open up on sundays...
    oh i see, yes that would be fine.

  5. #30
    Speed Coach and Lifter
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    45
    btw, how old are you?

  6. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    118
    what are quick feet drills...im 24 btw...lol

  7. #32
    Speed Coach and Lifter
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    45
    Moving your feet as quickly as possibly, and slowly moving forward. For about 5m. If you can purpose a agility ladder and use that for a variety of quick feet drills.

    Later on I will introduce a great drill known as "fast leg" into your routines.

  8. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    118
    ah i see...but what do u want me to do there?

  9. #34
    Speed Coach and Lifter
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by betog22 View Post
    ah i see...but what do u want me to do there?
    Do where?

  10. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    118
    lol on the quick feet drills

  11. #36
    Speed Coach and Lifter
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by betog22 View Post
    lol on the quick feet drills
    Well do 4 sets of the quick feet drill I told you about, the basic one. Then if you purpose a agility ladder, we'll talk

  12. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    118
    still having probs wit the scorpion kicks..any alternatives or be more specific on how to do em

  13. #38
    Speed Coach and Lifter
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by betog22 View Post
    still having probs wit the scorpion kicks..any alternatives or be more specific on how to do em
    Just forget them for now just do some more trunk rotations and you should be fine.

  14. #39
    Speed Coach and Lifter
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    45
    come on guys ask some questions

  15. #40
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    49
    I'm trying to get my 1.5mi time as fast as possible: currently I've been running a lot of 5k's and shorter distances (no less than 1.5mi). The speed is where I run into problems. While I can run 3 miles at a 7:20 pace, I am having a hard time going any faster than that. Over the summer I worked on sprints a lot and can usually run the last 100-200 meters at full force but the middle of the run is what kills me. I think I try and go out too fast then die halfway through and then see the light at the end of the tunnel and can pump out the remaining laps fairly quickly. My last timed 1.5mi was 11:20 but I am pretty sure I could run it faster now. If I want under a 10min 1.5mi, what should I focus on?

    Oh yeah, and I need to do 81 pushups and 100 curlups (Hands crossed over chest then touch thighs) before this 1.5mi run

    I got around 70 pushups on my last attempt but can only knock out around 60 curlups. My core is very strong because I dead and squat around the 300's so I don't know whats holding me back.
    Last edited by Steve24; 10-21-2008 at 10:25 AM.
    5'11" 175lb
    DL: 375 BP: 255 SQ: 275

  16. #41
    Speed Coach and Lifter
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve24 View Post
    I'm trying to get my 1.5mi time as fast as possible: currently I've been running a lot of 5k's and shorter distances (no less than 1.5mi). The speed is where I run into problems. While I can run 3 miles at a 7:20 pace, I am having a hard time going any faster than that. Over the summer I worked on sprints a lot and can usually run the last 100-200 meters at full force but the middle of the run is what kills me. I think I try and go out too fast then die halfway through and then see the light at the end of the tunnel and can pump out the remaining laps fairly quickly. My last timed 1.5mi was 11:20 but I am pretty sure I could run it faster now. If I want under a 10min 1.5mi, what should I focus on?

    Oh yeah, and I need to do 81 pushups and 100 curlups (Hands crossed over chest then touch thighs) before this 1.5mi run

    I got around 70 pushups on my last attempt but can only knock out around 60 curlups. My core is very strong because I dead and squat around the 300's so I don't know whats holding me back.

    You require to do work in the 400-800m range. If you have the 100-200m speed and the 5k endurance, this type of endurance should come together easily after some specific pace work.

    So this is a example workout of what you'd like to do...

    2x600m at medium pace (dont kill yourself on these) - 2 minutes rest
    4x400s at PB! pace (full recovery)
    1x600m at PB pace
    1x800m at PB pace

    The above workout would help you build the specific pace endurance, and you'd like to do this workout twice a week.

    Another time of the week, this workout will help you.

    1x200
    1x400
    1x600
    1x800
    1x600
    1x400
    1x200

    All are at a full speed, and this is known as the ladder peaking workout, do this once a week for now and after getting closer to your race, do this workout twice a week.

    On another day, I'd also like you to do 4x1200s at a PB pace. That being the workout alone.

    Make sure you use a nice easy 15 minute jog for warm ups and about 10 minute cool downs. Use skipping and other general sprint drills to warm up.

    As for the push ups, I want you to do 20 push ups when you wake up every morning. Then later in the day, do 3 sets of 10 clapping push ups. So this is your daily routine 6x a week. Then comes the next part where you only want to do it 3x a week (every other day), do push ups all the way to failure, rest just 10 seconds and go to failure again, rest for 10 seconds and go to failure, and once again repeat for a third time. Then I want you to stretch it all out and do 4 sets of bench press (all being 12-15 reps) and then do a 5th heavier set (3-4 rep range) and then take a good break and do a burnout set of bench press supersetted with a burnout set of push ups.

    On the other 3 days of the week, after the initial daily routine which you do 6x a week, simply do 3 sets of 20 push ups and increase by 5 push ups everyday you do this and increase by a set every week.

    As for the curl ups, do 2 sets of 50 curlups, rest 10 seconds and do as many as you can from there. The 2nd day after, go to failure on this, rest 10 seconds and go to failure again. Repeat 3x. The third routine for this, would be do 5 sets of 40 curl ups, increase by 10 curls ups and one set every week.

    Make sure you always stretch after the workouts.

  17. #42
    Who me? Chubrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,634
    Dude, who are you?

    Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

  18. #43
    Speed Coach and Lifter
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    Dude, who are you?
    im a track coach and phys.ed teacher.

  19. #44
    Who me? Chubrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,634
    Do you work for a university, what have you accomplished, who have you worked with, etc etc? Most people give some sort of introduction before setting up shop.

    Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

  20. #45
    IRL my name is Trent Hazerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,468
    Track coach for who? what team? What are your best times and some of your athletes best times? what specific degrees do you hold and where do you get them from?

    sorry for the prodding, but forums are an easy place to get bad advice. I usually post on the powerlifting forums, and the guys there that I get advice from are all usually pro powerlifters or strongman. If I'm questioning some of their advice, all I have to do is a quick you tube search to see their 900 lb squat or 700 lb bench, so at the very least I know that whatever advice they've given me has worked very, very well for them.

    Now, looking through all the advice you've given, it seems pretty sound, but don't be hurt or surprised if we're all a little skeptical at first. Not many people come here saying "I'm an expert! ask me questions!" In fact, usually its the excact opposite - "I'm a complete noob! Help me, experts!" So if you are who you say you are, this is a refreshing attitude!

    That being said, what do think about speed work in the off days for a powerlifter? Would it help my lifts? also, what do you think of what this guy is doing for his athletes: http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/articles.htm
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

  21. #46
    Speed Coach and Lifter
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    Do you work for a university, what have you accomplished, who have you worked with, etc etc? Most people give some sort of introduction before setting up shop.
    No I havent attempted to coach at that level but I plan to in the future. Im not that old (31 years old) to have the coaching experience to try and climb the coaching ranks, however I believe my knowledge learned simply from the best (charlie francis, john smith, clyde hart, steve franno) and from general research I have done for years.

    Im a high school sprint coach and a club coach and ive coached athletes mainly at a provincial level and have coached athletes who have competed nationally, and continue to.

    I take athletes through several phases of a yearly program.

    GPP
    SPP1
    SPP2
    SPP3
    PCP
    CP

  22. #47
    Speed Coach and Lifter
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazerboy View Post
    Track coach for who? what team? What are your best times and some of your athletes best times? what specific degrees do you hold and where do you get them from?

    sorry for the prodding, but forums are an easy place to get bad advice. I usually post on the powerlifting forums, and the guys there that I get advice from are all usually pro powerlifters or strongman. If I'm questioning some of their advice, all I have to do is a quick you tube search to see their 900 lb squat or 700 lb bench, so at the very least I know that whatever advice they've given me has worked very, very well for them.

    Now, looking through all the advice you've given, it seems pretty sound, but don't be hurt or surprised if we're all a little skeptical at first. Not many people come here saying "I'm an expert! ask me questions!" In fact, usually its the excact opposite - "I'm a complete noob! Help me, experts!" So if you are who you say you are, this is a refreshing attitude!

    That being said, what do think about speed work in the off days for a powerlifter? Would it help my lifts? also, what do you think of what this guy is doing for his athletes: http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/articles.htm
    Ya I understand you're concerns, I assure you my advice is very effective for sprint training and my background knowledge lets me answer questions related to endurance training as well.

    Read through this better for a couple of your questions and I have produced 10.6 runners at best and several 11.2-11.6 runners for younger age groups (pre high school, freshman). Same ratio of times for the 200, with 21.5 being the best and 22.9-23.8.

    You get advice from assisted 700 benchers?

    Speed work on off days, well what did you do the day before or will do the next day? Doing squats and then doing sprints the day letter is suicide for your legs, or doing squats the day after doing sprints. However provided adequete recovery is given between heavy leg work and sprints, then yes I believe sprints/plyometrics will help you out.

    Once a week should be enough, however if you're doing a GPP for powerlifting, doing running 2-3x a week is most effective. With this I want to get into sled pulls, these are great to do once a week and more during GPP, as they develop special strength, and combined with about 30 touches of plyos, they can be used for a new edge to better enhance your lifts.

    Once you're comfortable with doing the once per week, you can look for room for twice a week of speed and plyos. Do the plyos first and do 20-30 touches and then proceed to speed and keep the distance 60m and under (generally 30-40m) and allow full recovery inbetween the runs.

    Yes that defranco routine I have seen before, its very good and effective, not something new to me.

  23. #48
    Who me? Chubrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,634
    Quote Originally Posted by speed_expert View Post

    You get advice from assisted 700 benchers?
    We have several 700lbs benchers and 900lbs squatters on this board.

    Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

  24. #49
    Banned markdk86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    1,116
    Here is my question:

    Can you PROVE you have these degrees? No offense. Evidence is nice.

  25. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Posts
    1,903
    and its nice that you MAY have the degrees, however Ive seen some people with as much common sense as a flaming bag of dog s**t who have their degrees in Kinesiology or Biomechanics and a CSCS.


    self important anon is self important
    Last edited by WillNoble; 10-21-2008 at 09:20 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. RESULTS results thread
    By KingWilder in forum AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Replies: 754
    Last Post: 05-18-2008, 01:40 PM
  2. Negative only training
    By drmarkp in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 04-24-2008, 09:58 AM
  3. 100 really cool tips
    By HighSchoolGuy in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-06-2007, 09:22 PM
  4. The Real Deal
    By chris mason in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 04-17-2001, 02:49 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •