Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: (Q&A) Ask me questions about speed training, agility, endurance, strength etc.

Ah ha. I see.

Well then I'll wander over to that thread and get with the program haha

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Since were talking about squats I have a quick question. I play footbal and I am going into my senior year. I have been lifting for a couple of years. With a wide stance (powerlifter stance) I can squat 470 raw, no suit, briefs, etc. but my strength coach recommended i go narrower, he said because you never play football with your feet that wide. So i went narrower yesterday and my squat is about 415. I cant do as much weight but it definintely did a good number on my hammies and glutes. With a wide stance i feel it more on the inside of my hamstring and my glutes. Im thinking about going narrow because it will make me a better football player, but the nice thing about the wide stance is I can really load up the bar and do work. On both i go to parrallel or below parallel. A quick opinion from will, travis, ben or sensei would be nice (or any of the other big wigs on this site, usually there pretty good at answering my questions
    Division 1 shotputter.

Im not one of the big guys on the site but i would mix your stance up every now and then. I dont think its a big deal though as long as you are hitting depth and progressing you will continue to get stronger and better at football.

Stick with the wide stance, just use a lower box. Make sure you are going just slightly below parallel.

Close stance is fine for quad development, but you need the wide stance to develop your hips, glutes and hams. If you're getting that with the close stance, you either have some very big muscle imbalances or you are doing it wrong.

Football players need that wide stance drive though. Use the close stance when you are doing leg press or hack squats or whatever.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

ok sounds good. thanks
    Division 1 shotputter.

Wannabebig New Member

Help?

im a us marine, and im looking to get out soon, ie november, and walk onto a college football team next spring. i used to play fullback, but im a little out of practice, im 6 feet tall, and about 260 right now, i bench about 300x4, and i can squat a good amount, i need a workout and diet routine that will help me to cut down to about 245, and get jacked and also increase my speed. im running a 4.9 right now, but i would like to get down to about a 4.6. can you help?

You may want to read through the thread GP, speed expert was proven to be a tool and a fraud, but we still carried on some good discussion that you'll probably find helpful.

If you are 260 and running an honest-to-gosh 4.9, you're doing pretty well and should keep up what you are doing. Your planned 15lb weight loss will help too.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

hey speed guy. I need a good vertical jump program. I wanna add as many inches on my vertical leap as possible
    -deltoids anonomous

well i have a 7th grader whos getting ready for track season and he asked me for help on gettting faster. i didnt want to get in the way of what theyre doing in their football period so thats why im asking here. i know they just lift weights but id rather get info from people that know what theyre talking about in here. last year we did the sparq program from nike and that was awesome. im looking for a gym workout and also a speed workout. hes gonna be running the 100 and 200 so anything would help....

He is only in 7th grade and he is weightlifting for football already?

well in junior high the athletic period they make em do like squats cleans bench nothing too big like power/body builders....i told him to go hard on the weights but not anythin crazy...hes more concerned about track right now because its coming up soon in about a month or so