Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discouraged

Banned

Discouraged

Tonight, as I was doing my workout after a 4 day hiatus, I couldnt lift the 20lb dbs as easily as I usually do. Also, I feel like Im not developing as well as I should, due to the fact Im not able to have 5-6 meals a day and I only have limited access to weights until I finally get the gym pass from the person in chrge of my program. To top it off, I feel like when I ask for help here, I am ridiculed even when I ask an honest question. Altogether Im feeling really discouraged. I know bodybuilding is also a mental state of mind so how do you guys deal with these negative feelings when things are looking grim. Also, why am I not lifting the dumbbells as easily I did last wensday (I did lift/move furniture while i was visiting home this weekend for my parents)? Any advice willl be greatly appreciated.

I "was" getting tired... 40 Nunc's Avatar
    Dkalban, I hate to say it but I think your goal of "huge ripped nerd" is going to have to wait. You seem to have too many obstacles to keep you from doing what you know you NEED to do right now. I know people have been busting your balls and telling you to stop making excuses but it just seems like there is too much going on in your life to allow you to make any gains. There are 3 things you need - money, food and a gym... There are 3 thing you don't have - money, food and a gym.

Until you get the money to buy food and a gym membership, you're going to get the same responses from people here that you've gotten 20 times before. You gotta eat big and lift big to get big...
    "There are no shortcuts. The fact that a shortcut is important to you means that you are a pussy. Let me be clear here: if you'd rather take steroids than do your squats heavy and drink enough milk, then you are a ****ing Pussy. I have no time or patience for ****ing Pussies. Please tell everyone you know that I said this." Mark Rippetoe

Your 19 kid. You've got many potential years of lifting in front of you. You, like many of us on here, need to spend less time posting and more time lifting.
    Try not to focus on all the bogus crap going on here and in your personal life...the gym may be the one place in life where you can leave all that behind.

Lastly, "Lifting" is one of those things where consistency is king. Come up with a good workout plan, a decent meal schedule, and stick with it. In time, your goals will all come together. As you build a foundation the next year or two, you will learn more and most certainly have different views and goals.

Lift, eat, repeat bud. The rest will take care of itself. Whatever you are looking for, its not in here...its in the gym.
    - Slave & Master At The Same Damn Time -
    Hoping To Compete Natty Early 2011

Seriously, once you get that gym membership, just focus on lifting with intensity and eating. You need to build a good solid base before you need to worry about anything else. Keep trying, man. You'll be glad you stuck with it in the end.

The 5-6 meals thing is not all that important. You can eat 3 big meals, or even one huge meal and still make gains

Always learning
    Hey man, honestly just eat a lot, lift heavy, and stick to a routine that is efficient without all the isolation bull---. Read all the articles you can find, and post questionable ones here.
    "Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but no one wanna lift this heavy ass weight."

You can't expect much the way you are doing things. You really shouldn't even be trying to stuff down calories at this point because you're not creating a good enough stimulus with your little pink dumbells for 20 super slow reps. It's almost useless. Until you get to the gym you should just do some CrossFit type stuff to get in good overall shape and form a habit of eating clean foods often. On your current path you're just going to waste energy and get fat and more discouraged.

yeah little hard gainers like us need ot eat and lift. my advice for you, until you can get to a gym and eat at least 3k calories a day is to run a lot and stay healthy. You might even lose weight but the way you are going is worse, you'll gain fat and be a fat hardgainer. not to discourage but you need to hit a GYM, until then just stay healthy.

I just read through all 11 pages of your "Need help editing a routine" thread, and I have to be honest with you...until you get a gym membership, I think you should just focus on other things. Working with 20 pound dumbbells isn't going to do jack **** in terms of increasing size or strength. They're fine if you're trying to increase endurance, but from everything I read that isn't your goal.

So what that means that you need to join a gym. If you don't have the cash to join a gym, then get a job. If you don't have a vehicle to go to and from a job, then ride the bus. If you aren't willing to get a job and take a bus, then you can't be all that serious about joining the ranks of the insane gym freaks that steal all the plates and scare off all the women and grade schoolers. So let's be crystal clear...you will NEVER get any meaningful results with your current "paper weights."

No gym membership = no reason to continue any discussions about strength training.

And by the way, that routine that you kept asking everyone to critique is horse ****. Go with either the Bill Starr 5x5, Rippetoe's Starting Strength, or anyting else that has you doing the big 4 compounds (squats, bench, deads, and overhead press). Just get the **** on it already. It's time to put up or shut up.

Join a gym.

Wannabebig Member
    19!!.... I wish I started when I was 19. I was busy screwing around and to lazy. Now I'm 38 and just starting.

Went to my parents house and took the weights my dad had and his 1970's bench which amounted to a whopping 65lbs. Borrowed another 50lbs from a friend and worked out with that in my basement for 2 months.

Did I get stronger, bigger? Maybe a little but I kept at it every week and had a routine. Got another 80 lbs from another friend and switched up my routine again. Started learning from reading here and other sites about rest and eating right and now I look forward to lifting and seeing the results.

I have been lifting heavy now for less than 2 months and see huge results and can not wait for next summer to see what I have transformed into.

So make what you have now work and stick to it and you will be happy in the end. My brother's gym closed and he goes in his garage and does pull ups using the rafters and lifts concrete blocks and squats sand bags until his gym reopens. Its whatever you make of it.

And when you are dedicated and then have some money find a good deal on used stuff and workout at home. I bought all this from a friend for 600.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    Wow, more of the same suggestions...

imagine that

Discouragement is natural, it happens to everyone. I can't count the times i've been discouraged when lifting over the years. To commit your time and energy to busting your butt just to have the 20lbs you've worked so hard to gain be taken away from a prolonged illness. What do you do? Get back in the game. It's all about commitment which you don't seem to have a problem with. I don't know too many individuals with your circumstance and limited resources that would have held onto the notion of some day being a "huge ripped nerd" as long as you have. That says a lot. Don't listen to the people who are telling you to quit now cause you won't get anywhere. It's not just about getting bigger it's also about mental stability and doing something you enjoy. I say keep lifting those 20lb dumbbells as long as you have to until you can get this gym membership. You won't get big but it WILL keep you in a routine and focused on your goal and that is very important.

Until you get to the gym get creative with your equipment. You mentioned putting books in your back pack to do push ups, good. Now throw your 20lb DB's in there too. Put weights in your pack and do sets of chin ups. Go buy 2 gallons of milk, drink the milk, then fill the empty cartons with sand, gravel, or concrete and make some heavier weights. There are all sorts of things you can do inexpensively for the time being until your gym membership becomes a reality. Some day you will look back and thank yourself, I promise
    If your shins ain't bleeding then it's not a Dead Lift

Stats:
    Start Wt - 138
    Current Wt - 160
    Height - 6'-1"
    My Journal (Pics: Post# 11,17,88,165)
    Hard Gainers Meal Menu
    Progress Pics

Quote Originally Posted by WillNoble View Post
    Wow, more of the same suggestions...

imagine that
    LMAO. I lol'd at that.

OP - We have told you what you need to do OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER again. Until you can get to a gym, your essentially wasting your time. I agree with 40 nunc. You have way too many obstacles in your life right now. I think your going to have to wait until you are mature enough to get a job, get a bike, and get to the gym.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Detard View Post
    LMAO. I lol'd at that.

OP - We have told you what you need to do OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER again. Until you can get to a gym, your essentially wasting your time. I agree with 40 nunc. You have way too many obstacles in your life right now. I think your going to have to wait until you are mature enough to get a job, get a bike, and get to the gym.
    Get the Bike and bench it

It seems like a lot of the extra calories you take in goes to fat, because you aren't lifting heavy enough weights, and your training is clearly inferior. I would just say to maintain just above maintenance level of calories for now; then when you join a gym, ramp up that eating and hit the weights hard.

Banned
    Try sandbagging. That's cheap.

if you want something bad enough you will find a way to make it work

dude Buy a crappy bench and buy barbell and lbs of plates.. that will do u good for a few weeks
    Lifting is my life

I am 15
    @ 155 lbs

Everyone has bad days, don't let it get you down.

But the others are right, you really do need to start training with more weight if you want to get stronger. In the meantime, I think whoever suggested crossfit is pointing you in the right direction. Check out www.crossfit.com and try follow the workouts of the day as closely as you can with whatever you have at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Detard View Post
    LMAO. I lol'd at that.

Don't continue to get discouraged from everyone here. You setup a nice journal with all of your effort, and for you to take off lifting until you get a gym membership will only hurt any gains you have made in the last few months. I check these forums every few days, and I usually see one of your posts while I am here. Continue to work with what you have and do the absolute most you can. Keep working up in reps if you can't add any weight to increase your endurance. I read somewhere that some powerlifters say that doing "100's" (100 rep sets) help when trying to grind out those last few reps when you increase the weight because of the increased endurance you gain while doing them. Keep going bro!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JRider23 View Post
    Don't continue to get discouraged from everyone here.

Its not discouragement, its jaded individuals that have seen 600 posts of the same crap. We are jaded encouragers.

Read all the threads he's posted in 99.9% of them contain the same advice over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

We are not at fault here

ye and i agre with guy above me, buy a crapp bench and a bar with a few 25 lb plates. do it up!!! GET hUGGEEE EAT weight gainers, my man. Seeing you in 5 years RIPPED would be illlll

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknapolean View Post
    ye and i agre with guy above me, buy a crapp bench and a bar with a few 25 lb plates. do it up!!! GET hUGGEEE EAT weight gainers, my man. Seeing you in 5 years RIPPED would be illlll
    Yeah it would lol. Im also a bit discouraged now b/c im starting to get a spare tire, and without access to a gym, im afraid of becoming fat instead of gaining muscle.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Dkalban.

I'm going to post some advice on here that runs contrary to the orthodoxy on WBB, but it will work as well or nearly as well, depending on what you put into it.

First though, to answer your question about the DB's. You were tired from moving furniture, or had a off day, or four days was too long in between. No biggie.

Now you do not absolutely need a gym. For peak performance maybe, but many old-timers who built fantastic physiques/strength had either no real gym or a poorly equipped one by today's standards. (No doubt if they were just starting out today, that some posters would tell them that they had no chance to get big and strong either.)

Use bodyweight exercises. Dips, chins, pullups, elevated pushups, wall squats are some good ones. When these get too easy add weight which can be DB's or sandbags or bottles of water or even books in a knapsack. . If you have anything heavy and low-set which will not be damaged by repeated usage, then you can do deadlifts too. Tree trunks, boulders...you are only limited by imagination and creativity.

You also do not need to eat 5-6 times a day. The body utilizes as based upon need. Eat as much as you can at the times you can get food down. If you have time for snacks than do that as well.

Most of all, keep a positive attitude and be consistent. People laughed at me too when I first started lifting. Now I'm bigger and stronger than nearly all of them. It all depends on how badly you want it. You are the only one who can stop yourself. If you have a bad workout, do not waste mental or emotional energy worrying about it or beating yourself up over it. Resolve to do better next time, and then put it out of your mind. Also be patient. This takes time. Think in terms of months and years. If it was easy 95% of guys would have huge biceps, chests and sixpacks.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 10-18-2008 at 07:31 PM.