The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Bulking help/issue

Hey guys I have a dilemma with bulking and need some suggestions. I am looking to gain power and speed (mostly in my legs) as I play hockey. But I dont really have an "off season" and have no time to really "bulk". I need to stay conditioned or else I will have some serious issues with playing time etc. Any suggestions? Can I still gain muscle effectively without bulking? Thanks guys!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Why cant you gain weight now?
    Sarvamangalam!

Wannabebig Member
    Season began already. Like I said its basically the entire year, I really dont have ANY time. Maybe a month tops.
    Last edited by Kovalchuk71; 10-14-2008 at 04:48 PM.

I gained 20 lbs during rugby season, Im not sure what the problem is.....?
    Sarvamangalam!

Wannabebig Member
    Im just saying, can I do this without doing detrimental things to my conditioning? Last time I bulked I gained a lot and was always gassed when I was playing. I guess I didnt do enough cardio or ate too much crap?
    Last edited by Kovalchuk71; 10-14-2008 at 04:53 PM.

Your problem is solved. Good job. Now go gain smoe weight.
    Sarvamangalam!

Wannabebig Member
    HaI guess your right. Thanks! But how much cardio is too much when I am bulking? I dont want to bulk for nothing if you know what I mean.
    Last edited by Kovalchuk71; 10-14-2008 at 04:56 PM.

Banned
    If you are still gaining, its too much, OR you just arent eating enough. There are 2 parts to the equation... calories in, calories out. You can mess with either one to gain weight.

Banned
    BTW, if you dont want to bulk in season, do it during your summer leagues.

Wannabebig Member
    i was 150lbs and after a week of constant eating coupled with the first week of 'increase ur bench press by 30lbs', i have gained 5 lbs to 155lbs - lost in ecstacy when i weighed myself in the gym lol

but alongside the weight gain, i realise that the layer of fat around my stomach region is getting thicker as well.. do we all experience the same fat gain when we're bulking up?

(my calories generally come from nuts, shakes, shakes plus ice cream, cottage cheese etc, no chocolate, no crisps etc so pretty clean, i think..)

Quote Originally Posted by limjoohong View Post
    i was 150lbs and after a week of constant eating coupled with the first week of 'increase ur bench press by 30lbs', i have gained 5 lbs to 155lbs - lost in ecstacy when i weighed myself in the gym lol
    5 lbs in one week is most likely be almost all fat, 1 lb is maybe muscle, this is exactly wat the OP does not want as this will destroy his conditioning for hockey season.

but alongside the weight gain, i realise that the layer of fat around my stomach region is getting thicker as well.. do we all experience the same fat gain when we're bulking up?
    when bulking up your always going to put on some fat, but the rate at which you put on fat depends on how much kcal over maintenance you are eating, if your gaining 5lbs in a week probably 4 lbs of that is goin to be fat, this is why you aim to put 1 lb on a week as it is more likely to be muscle, this will help limit the fat gain during a bulk!!

(my calories generally come from nuts, shakes, shakes plus ice cream, cottage cheese etc, no chocolate, no crisps etc so pretty clean, i think..)
    it is clean apart from the ice cream, but eating even too much clean foods increases weight and fat gain!! if you are gaining too much fat even from clean foods you are eating too much over your maintenance calories!!
    Last edited by pottsy07; 10-17-2008 at 03:30 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    i calculated my total calorie intake and it works out to be about 4000-4200 per day.. work in office so pretty sedentary all day long..

at 150 - 155lbs, what sort of calorie intake level would you recommend?

its hard to determine due to the difference in metabolic rates etc!! do you know what your bodyfat measurement etc is? here is a link to a calculator mate which will help you workout your resting metabolic rate, this is only a rough guide, you will add 500 kcal onto this for one week to see if you put on weight, if you put on 1 lb continue eating that much till you stop gaining then add another 500 so on and do forth, but if after one week adding 500 you add more then 1 lb on reduce your calories slightly, your aim is to keep fat levels to a minimum during a bulk, so aim for 1 lb per week,

hope this helps,

timmy

Wannabebig Member
    hey timmy, thanks for the advice!!! but where is the link? =) btw, body fat is about 13%
    Last edited by limjoohong; 10-17-2008 at 04:52 AM. Reason: to add information

i calculated my total calorie intake and it works out to be about 4000-4200 per day.. work in office so pretty sedentary all day long..

at 150 - 155lbs, what sort of calorie intake level would you recommend?
    A rough guide for maintenance cals would be to multiply your body weight in lbs by ~15.

+ or - 500 cals to the total depending on bulk or cut.

This is a bit general as there are obviously many lifestyle factors which will affect this equation. Very much depends on the metabolism of the individual also. Only way to know for sure for yourself is track exactly what you eat over a few weeks and record whether you lose, gain or stay the same.

Best way to go about this is measure every couple of weeks at most.

Otherwise use a mirror and clothing to judge. Most people fluctuate by more than a lb in a single day!
    Last edited by -JM-; 10-17-2008 at 07:03 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    flynn, using ur method, i worked out that i need about 2800kcal per day to bulk up.. round up to 3000kcal per day.. that should be a good indication i suppose.. plus minus the calories that i burn during workout, i guess around 3500-4000 would be ok?

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/calrmr.htm

sorry here was the link lol