Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IS Smith Machine Bad ??

Wannabebig Member

IS Smith Machine Bad ??

OK,

Here is my question. I have been reading alot on these boards, and there seems to be a large negative vibe about the smith machine. It seems people are against it more than for it (by far)

Here is my delimma

I have worked out before using a Smith Machine for my big exercises (i.e bench press, squats, shoulder press, straight leg dead, etc.). The main reason I do this is for safety. I go to failure, and a spotter is not always an option. Other than the large move ments, I perfors the rest of my exercises exclusively on free weights.

Now to my situation. I have a co-worker who is willing to sell me an entire gym set that was given to him by a relative (going through a divorce) for $300 dollars. It is a Smith Machine, with over 1000 lbs of Olympic weights. It also includes the following:
    EZ curl bar
    Lat pull
    Low Row
    Leg Ext and Curls (crappy)
    Adjustable Bench (incline and decline)
    4 high and low pulleys
    Preacher curl station
    Adjustable dumbells (up to 75 lbs)

It is a complete set-up, not some cheap universal set up you can buy at walmart. It was purchsed at a Local Equipment Company (all American Fitness) and still had the price tag on it (they originally payed $1400 fr the set !!!)

I am trusting you guys whole heartedly. The reason I am looking to purchase it is because:
    +I could own all of this rather inexpensive !!!
    +I have an extra room in my house, so I can workout at my convenience
    +I don't have to drive to the gym and wait for equipment
    +I am helping out a guy who recently divorced himself, lost his job, and is very short on cash (the only reason he is selling it)
    +I received results before using smith

The apartment I live in has a small gym, but it has a universal machine (Very Rigid) and dumbells only go up to 50 lbs (I am already beching those quite easily)

So, I can either purchase the equipment or sign up again for the gym membership at $38 a month.

What would you do. I don't want to get huge, I just want to stay in shape and healthy. I would like to add muscle, but I am not Hardcore.

WOULD YOU BUY IT ???

Your answers will determine my decision.

WE can't make the call.

We don't know all of the details. There could be lots of reasons to join or not join a gym.

In my situation, I joined a gym. I have a spare room big enough for a power rack and equipment to keep my happy, and the cash to purchase anything I need. BUT - the gym isn't far from my house, the people there motivate me, there is more equipment there in the event I wish to use it, etc.

Your situation could be completely different from mine. If I had kids to care for, or the gym was an hour away, I would have a home gym for sure.

I wouldn't buy a Smith, regardless. A power rack will be more versatile.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

erm..........$300 sounds like a great deal there.The 1000lb's of olympic weights is worth that alone.
    Stats:
    Height: 5'9"
    Weight: 210
    BF: plenty
    Chest: 46"
    Arms:18"
    Thighs:29" now down to 28"
    Calves: 17.5"

Bench Max 308 x 4
    Squat 330 x 3 ATF
    Deadlift 404.8 x 1

For some reason if I try and train at home I always have a hard time staying focused. At home there is always the couch and TV staring at me and shiat like that. And when I pay for the gym I never miss cause I spent the money on it and I stay focused there. Except for the hot chicks that have to bend and stretch right in front of me. GOD BLESS THEM
    "Do what you got to do. Walk through a place like you F'in own it. If people don't like it, F them, you'll get over it."

I also agree with Stagg. Power Rack is better.
    "Do what you got to do. Walk through a place like you F'in own it. If people don't like it, F them, you'll get over it."

Wannabebig Member
    i agree...its hard to workout at home...but that is a great deal in front of you..i would buy it...as for the smith machine..if you dont have a spotter and your going to failure its stilll good for u..just not great because your not controling weight... i have been lifting for a couple months and i can bench 185 on a regular bench..but on the smith maching i can go up to 220...

Originally posted by teeblair30
    i have been lifting for a couple months and i can bench 185 on a regular bench..but on the smith maching i can go up to 220...
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

bone crusher
    SMith machine is useful for 1 exercise

Behind the back shrugs

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Originally posted by teeblair30
    i agree...its hard to workout at home...but that is a great deal in front of you..i would buy it...as for the smith machine..if you dont have a spotter and your going to failure its stilll good for u..just not great because your not controling weight... i have been lifting for a couple months and i can bench 185 on a regular bench..but on the smith maching i can go up to 220...

How do you have the plates loaded on each side?? Like how many 45's, 25's, etc.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Smith Machine = evil.

It's hard to say. Have you had good progress working out at home? Are you going to be using it on a regular basis? It sounds like a good deal to me, plus you'd help out that guy...
    I prefer a gym, but if you're sure you want to have equipment at home I say go for it. Smith machines aren't great because well, they are machines and it's not going to give you the same stimulation a power rack would but you can still make gains and progress.
    "Then on leg day do squats, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, fluffernutters, and calf raises."--Belial, training a newbie

PowermanDL on Russian culture: "Big furry hats come into play somewhere."

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." --Thomas Paine

At this point, its a matter of goals. I wouldn't use a Smith machine because I'm training for specific lifts. However, my stance for a BBer has changed. I still think the power cage is better regardless, but for pure *mass* training, I see nothign wrong with the Smith.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

My two cents. . .

If you don't have a spot, use dumbells instead of the Smith machine. If you go to failure with dumbells, for example while doing flat benches, you can drop the weights to the side if you can't make that last rep. With the Smith machine, you still have to (1) get the bar up enough to clear your body, and (2) lock it. Ever see a guy get caught under the Smith press? It's quite embarassing.
    "When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite."

- Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

At the Y we dont have a rack so i use machine for squats but you can set the guards or whatever they are called so you won't get hurt, the bar will just stop on top of the guards. It's almost impossible to get pinned by the machine at the my Y. Unless you set the guards bellow the chest when doing a bench press, then you might have a problem.
    Milk is the best Supplement

Well my friends think I'm ugly
    I got a masculine face - Tom Waits.

Pretty Fly for an Old Guy W8_4_Me's Avatar
    I have been working out at home for just over 3 years. I have used a smith machine for the last 2.5 years. While mine is not rated for up to 1000 lbs, it is more than sufficient for my training needs.

I don't miss the gym. Well, once in awhile I do, but I like to be able to lift whenever I want to lift and never have to wait for anything.

It sounds like you have a real nice opportunity here! Even if you decided afterward that you didn't like working out at home, you could not only get your money back from selling it, but you could probably even turn a profit.

Sounds like a win-win situation to me.

When I was in my teens and through my twenties, I felt that if I was paying to belong to a gym, I would be more apt to actually go and use the gym. I thought that if I tried to workout at home that I would find every excuse NOT to workout.

Now-a-days, working out at home makes the most sense for me. I work from home, and have kids to deal with, so getting time to actually go to a gym is basically out of the question. I have found that I really like working out at home.

Everybody's different, though. Just like lifting weights is not for everybody, working out at home may not be right, either.
    "A winner...knows how much he still has to learn, even when he is considered an expert by others; A loser...wants to be considered an expert by others, before he has even learned enough to know how little he knows." - Sydney Harris

"It takes a big man to cry, and an even BIGGER man to laugh at that man!" - Jack Handey

"It's simple. If it jiggles, it's fat." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

k.o.d
    I'd say buy it
    cause if what howsertrading is true about 1000lbs costing $300 it sounds like a great deal. Plus you're already comftable with the equipment and it's really a no risk situation if you think about it. Cause if you don't like the smith machine , you could sell it and buy some normal equipment and keep the weight (They're plates right? Or is it like those slabs of weight on the machines, I'm not really sure what a smith machine is).
    Or
    If you don't like working out at home I'm sure you be able to get your money back easily if you sold the system yourself

Originally posted by Cackerot69
    Smith Machine = evil.
    *** Not for BB purposes.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Wannabebig Member
    Ok,

I decided not to do it. The reason being is that I called the gym I used to work out at just to see what the rates were for membership. They told me that I was still in the computer as a memeber thought I hadn't been paying for the last 6 months !!! Normally, memberships are $40 a month, but they said I could work out for my original contract rate of $19. WOW!!! They have a brand new facility with everything, and then some. I am Pumped. Screw the Smith. I can use the Hammer Strenght for big sets.

Pretty Fly for an Old Guy W8_4_Me's Avatar
    You are blowing an opportunity to make some money here...

Olympic weight costs in the neighborhood of $.50 per pound. 1000 lbs x $.50 = $500 (new), plus the equipment sounds like it could easily fetch another $500.

You are going to let that kind of money slip through your fingers because your gym lowered its rates?

*sigh*
    "A winner...knows how much he still has to learn, even when he is considered an expert by others; A loser...wants to be considered an expert by others, before he has even learned enough to know how little he knows." - Sydney Harris

"It takes a big man to cry, and an even BIGGER man to laugh at that man!" - Jack Handey

"It's simple. If it jiggles, it's fat." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Yea, might as well buy it, keep what you want and sell the rest. Hell, if you want to unload some plates for cheap I'll buy em.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Hell yes I'd buy it.

I agree with cack.

Genetic Experiment GeneticallyGifted's Avatar
    Stockholm, Sweden...Mainly, New York,New York, Los Angeles,CA., Civitinova Marche, Italy
    Do you have your head up your butt... BUY THE WEIGHTS & the Smith Machine. Try it out and see if you like it and if you don't, sell it. I'm pretty sure that the gyms isn't going to raise the cost of your membership if they are willing to give you your registration rate after 6 monthes on non-pay. Use your brain...As was said earlier it's a "WIN-WIN" situation.
    STATS COMING SOON:Age: 29 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 78KG/ 172LBS| bf: |Years Training:?? | All-natural: Yes|

Chest: | Shoulders: | Upper Arm: | Forearm: |
    Waist: |Neck:| Upper Thigh: | Calf: |

Personal Bests: COMING SOON:
    Flat Barbell Presses: | Dips: |Wide-grip Palms Away: |
    Military Barbell Press: |Barbell Squats: |

go for it, 300 bucks for all that stuff you cant go wrong, if i were you id get it all then get free weights up to 150, i love free weights and the only thing i do thats less than 75 is bicep curls, but thats just me

I will probably get flamed for this but here goes...

Working with DBs, BBs or Smith machine is something of personnal preference what works for one doesn't always work for another. At this price there is NO reason not to buy it , try it for a few months and if you don't make gains/feel comfortable with it then sell it on, it is highly likely you will make a profit on it. Its a WIN / WIN oppurtunity.

just my .02

Rich