The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    k.o.d

Db Flat Flies pain

It really hurts when i do Db flies. The pain is like right between the bicep and tricep on the outer part of my arm. I get the same pain when I try and armwrestle. The pain usually happens when my arm lines up with my chest (before I start raising the dumbells again). Now I know it's not exactly spose to be a walk in the park but after the pain hits my arm pretty much just buckles down and I have to redo the rep.
    So I was just wondering wether anyone knew why or what kind of alternatives there is to flat Db files that might relieve the pain? Incline,Decline,Pec Deck?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I get that sometimes too. It's not so bad that I can't take it, but it's not comfortable. I was planning on asking the same thing tonight... so I'm interested to see what the responses are.

-Tom

I kind of had the same problem. I found I do not have the same problem with incline flyes.

HTH,

ND
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

Do them at a 30 degree incline.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesnít realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

if it hurts like that, then dont do em. i never do flat db flies because it strains my shoulders. i do incline db flies and they r much better.

dont do db flies anymore. u might find that cable flies feel better although i never tried them and they probably arent as effective

Is the inclined fly just as effective? Is it still working the "Sternal head" or are you starting to work the "clavicular head" more?

-Tom

Originally posted by devhuman
    Is the inclined fly just as effective? Is it still working the "Sternal head" or are you starting to work the "clavicular head" more?

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh boy............
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Mystic Eric
    Here we go again...
    Last edited by Mystic Eric; 04-02-2002 at 02:07 PM.

I know, I know... but according to Gray's anatomy, they are seperate fibers connected to seperate places. Even when describing how to disect the Pectoralis Major, it describes how to remove the Sternal fibers and then seperately how to remove the clavical fibers.

Also, when I do bench press, I feel it in the Sternal region, when I do an inclined press, I feel it in the clavical region. They are also "independantly sore".

So... I'm thinking my question is a valid one.

-Tom

But according to the kinesiology of human movement, the sternal and clavicular heads have the exact same function. Kinda hard for one to contract harder than another when they're both doing the same thing.

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

There are plenty of muscles that have the exact same function that are still seperate muscles (not saying that these are seperate muscles). When you are trying to grow a muscle, you are trying to "tear" muscle fibers and then let them heal larger than before. You can tear muscle fibers from a part of a muscle withought tearing all the muscle fibers in a muscle. The fact that the clavical part of the muscle attaches to the clavical and the sternum to the sternum would mean that you could tear one part and not the other. A muscle is NOT one big fiber, it's LOT's of little fibers.

I know the general concensus here is that chest excersizes work the whole chest no matter what, but I'd have to dissagree.

-Tom

Originally posted by devhuman
    There are plenty of muscles that have the exact same function that are still seperate muscles (not saying that these are seperate muscles). When you are trying to grow a muscle, you are trying to "tear" muscle fibers and then let them heal larger than before.

Tear is inaccurate. You're trying to induce microtrauma which are tiney deformations in the sarcolemma caused by the intense destruction of the actin-myosin filaments.

You can tear muscle fibers from a part of a muscle withought tearing all the muscle fibers in a muscle.

References? In actuality, the determination of which fibers are fatigued and thus subjected to microtrauma is a function of the loading, or more precisely, the tension generated.

The fact that the clavical part of the muscle attaches to the clavical and the sternum to the sternum would mean that you could tear one part and not the other. A muscle is NOT one big fiber, it's LOT's of little fibers.

Both heads of the pectoralis major share a common origin, the sternum, and two separate insertions in the shoulder. However, the functions of both heads are the exact same, especially in the case of inclines vs. flat pressing (transverse abduction of the shoulder).

Since the "tears" as you put it are a function of tension generated in a movement, explain to me how either of those movements could target one head over the other, considering that the force transmission through the muscle ensures that the stress is fairly even throughout its entirety.

k.o.d
    Thanks for the replys guys, just one more thing, when you say 30degree incline do you mean from the vertical position ( |_ ) or from the horizontal position ( __ ) ??

Originally posted by Hitsuraptor
    Thanks for the replys guys, just one more thing, when you say 30degree incline do you mean from the vertical position ( |_ ) or from the horizontal position ( __ ) ??
    He means from the horizontal, 30 degrees from vertical would be 60 degrees.

ND
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska