Thread: the 5x5 routine

the 5x5 routine

is a 5x5 routine a good program for a beginner weight lifter who is really thin and scrawny? this morning i did a 5x5 routine doing a flat bench press, barbell curls, and dunbell curls. i also added in some abb workouts. is that a good start or should i consider revising?

my brother told me i need to start light a work my way up to heavier weights but i dont know if he knows what he is talking about. how heavy should i go?

height: 6'3

weight: 175

short term goal: 200

Long term goal: Lean 225

Barbell curls and dumbell curls are not going to get you bigger. Do yourself a favor and choose one of the tried and proven routines, like everyone else is going to say, try Ripptoe's Starting Strength routine. Just do a search on here and bingo you'll have everything you ever wanted to know about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tumbler View Post
    Barbell curls and dumbell curls are not going to get you bigger. Do yourself a favor and choose one of the tried and proven routines, like everyone else is going to say, try Ripptoe's Starting Strength routine. Just do a search on here and bingo you'll have everything you ever wanted to know about it.
    won't get any thing better than this, and this was probably more polite than some of the future postings lol
    He who gains victory over other men is strong; but he who gains victory over himself is strong(er)

"Get rid of all excess in life. The more you own, the more that owns you. Strip yourself of all things, of all the fat, and leave nothing but brain, muscles and cock. That is life." - Jim Wendler

My Journal

Squat, Deadlift, Bench, Over Head Press, Hang Clean, Rows

That's all you need to get big.

Even that can be simplified to - Squat - Dead - Bench, but incorporating all those will be a good way to start.

Your brother's right about starting low weight and ramping up steadily. There's no sense in trying to go too heavy too soon and hurting yourself. Also starting low allows you more time to learn form, which is more important than other things.

Trying not to die young.

The guys have said it all, so far. Starting Strength is the ticket. Buy the book on amazon or order from a local book store, but it will tell you the workout and describe all the exercises in good detail.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

thanks for the responses guys, i will deffinetly pick up the starting strength book and see if i can get a better routine.

height: 6'3

weight: 175

short term goal: 200

Long term goal: Lean 225

Bass slayer,

Here are a few things to get you started until the book arrives.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi...rting_Strength

Enjoy

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass slayer View Post
    thanks for the responses guys, i will deffinetly pick up the starting strength book and see if i can get a better routine.
    Here's a word of advice. Do all your research now about bulking before you start. It'll save you time AND money. This includes eating a lot and lifting right as well as taking the right supplements (and make sure you take some sort of supplement).

When I was your age, I too was trying to bulk. But i wasted so much money and time doing it the wrong way and I never saw any results. One thing you should do at the gym is ask a lot of questions, especially if a personal trainer is there. Ask them to see if your form is correct.

Hope that helps and good luck!