Thread: Squating at Planet Fitness

Squating at Planet Fitness

I started working out at Planet Fitness last year because it the only gym that is 24hrs I only have time to workout late at night. Now that Im getting more into powerlfing and doing my squats I went from using the smith machine to squat because it was really bad on my knees and I wanted to get more tie-in muscles to doing them free standing. The only problem is PF does not have a squat rack so what I do is put the weight on the incline bench and scoop up under it then step out. It sucks because at heavier weight its like doing a really heavy good morning to put the weight down its starting to kill my lower back. Can anyone else suggest something I can do for the time being until i can switch gyms.

Ahhhhh planet fitness is the most horrible place in the world. Then again, I absolutely hate gyms like that - those "fitness" places. They suck.

My advice, find a new gym that doesn't suck. That is honestly what I would do.

Banned
    How do they not have a squat rack or a power rack? I think I just had an aneurism.
    Last edited by Reko; 10-20-2008 at 01:40 PM.

Banned
    Cancel your membership. Spend the money you save on a barbell set and, eventually, some squat stands or a cheap cage.

Currently Obsessed with Sq
    pretty much it - i went through i phrase of rubbish gyms myself till i eventually found one decent and in my local area now my training is better than ever. and i know what you mean about the bench system - i used to use that at home and do 20 rep squatting but i actually sat down on a flat bench then just did a negative good morning to get the weight back in the racks... pretty rubbish - i didnt even have enough weight to do less than 20 reps with. My only other advice would be to a) clean the weight and do high reps, b) deadlift, rest the weight on the thighs and wrap the arms round the bar so you do zercher squat (where the weight rests in the crooks of the elbow) ... hurts the elbows pretty bad though or to c) do hack squats (deadlifts but with the barbell behind your legs and with double over hands).

Hope this helps - AH
    Stats: Bodyweight : Current= 150 lbs, Height = 5ft11.5

Bench Press:160 lbs/Squat:225 lbs,/Deadlift:305/Total:675lbs/

Not strong yet, but getting there.

Journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=116786

Read this -------------->> pipes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    Ahhhhh planet fitness is the most horrible place in the world. Then again, I absolutely hate gyms like that - those "fitness" places. They suck.

My advice, find a new gym that doesn't suck. That is honestly what I would do.

+1 - Seriously, you're going to hurt yourself. There is no excuse for not having a squat/power rack.
    5'11" 220lbs.

BENCH - 330 x 1
    SQUAT - 405 x 1
    DEADLIFT - 450 x 1

"Whenever you do a thing, act as if all the world were watching." -- T.J.
    "Every success is built on the ability to do better than good enough." -- Unknown

Always learning
    I always scope a gym out before I join with a list of everything I will need.

If they do not have one thing I don't join.
    "Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but no one wanna lift this heavy ass weight."

wow, no squat rack? that really sucks. the first thing i would do is talk to the manager...i don't think i need to tell you what to say.

i lift at a commercial gym often, because the powerlifting gym i go to is 3 hours away, and i can't make that drive 4x a week. you have to do a lot of compensation, but you can make it work. sadly there is no replacement for squats.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

WTF!!!

No squat rack!!!

Leave that place now. That place is for girls. I can't believe there are gyms that don't even have a single squat rack.

How far away is the next 24hr gym?

Quote Originally Posted by Andre518 View Post
    The only problem is PF does not have a squat rack so what I do is put the weight on the incline bench and scoop up under it then step out. It sucks because at heavier weight its like doing a really heavy good morning to put the weight down its starting to kill my lower back. Can anyone else suggest something I can do for the time being until i can switch gyms.
    thats what i do at home and my lower back hates me for it as well

You could do Zercher Squats but they are tough on the arms and I would not recommend them for a beginner.

Best bet for the time being might be to do deadlifts (although I am sure those are not allowed there) to hit your core and then focus on quads with leg extension and hack squat.

If you have to workout without free weights for a little while then just go as heavy as you can and really push yourself by supersetting with machines.

As the others said it is in your best interest to look into other gyms or purchase some equipment for your home though. Check on Craigslist or Ebay and sometimes you can find great deals on squat racks.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Banned
    Find a new gym or your own equipment.