The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Attn. All Young Guys!

Read this article. This man speaks the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by http://elitefts.com/documents/seven_successful_habits.htm

Seven Successful Habits for Young Athletes
    By Tom Sullivan

For www.EliteFTS.com

1. Succeed academically: Itís crucial for young athletes to start developing solid study habits as they get older. When the college selection process begins, any coach will tell you that a good player who has excellent grades and good test scores is invaluable to a program. Usually, a coach has a small number of players who he can be more lenient with during the admission process. If you remove the obstacle of getting admitted, you make the coachís job much easier.

2. Work hard: Young athletes might not be happy to hear me say this, but hard work may be the best trait a player can possess. The beauty of this habit is that you have complete control over how hard you work. You want to build a reputation as a ďguy who will go through the boards if you asked him too.Ē Coaches love these guys. So, start working hard in practice, stay after to shoot pucks, ask what other things you can do to get better, block shots, finish checks, and just flat out hustle at every opportunity.

3. Be a team player: A young athlete needs to be a team player. This means at all times, not just when you feel like it. Pick up pucks at practice, clean the locker room, donít talk back to coaches, be positive to your teammates at all times, and donít bitch and moan.

4. Get a summer job: As soon as your son or daughter is old enough, he or she should be working in the summer, even if youíre wealthy enough and your young athletes donít have to work. A kid who spends a summer or two working construction or landscaping becomes a mentally tough kid. I would take a construction worker over a kid who plays video games all day. Also, it makes them respect the value of hard work and education. Five summers of landscaping for me really made me think about how I should work hard in school because I didnít want to do this for the rest of my life.

5. Read: Read anything and everything. Find an author or some books that you like and read them. It makes you smarter. Read magazines, newspapers, and anything you can get your hands on.

6. Play every sport you can: Donít specialize in hockey. Play baseball, golf, football, soccer, and tennis. It makes you a better athlete and actually makes your body more injury-proof because youíre exposed to multiple stimuli.

7. Respect your parents: You wonít realize it right now, but your folks kill themselves to get you to practice and they pay to for select teams, off-ice training, school, and many other things. Tell them that you love them and appreciate everything they do and clean up after yourself for God sakes!

Tom Sullivan runs Sullivan Training Systems in Braintree, Massachusetts, where he specializes in helping young athletes develop speed, strength, and injury-proof bodies. He can be reached at tssullivanjr@gmail.com or www.tsullsworld.blogspot.com.

Elite Fitness Systems strives to be a recognized leader in the strength training industry by providing the highest quality strength training products and services while providing the highest level of customer service in the industry. For the best training equipment, information, and accessories, visit us at www.EliteFTS.com.

Copyright© 1998-2009 Elite Fitness Systems. All rights reserved.
    You may reproduce this article by including this copyright
    and, if reproducing it electronically, including a link to
    www.Elitefts.com

http://elitefts.com/documents/seven_...ful_habits.htm
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    Great article!

That is a great article.
    5'7 240
    Lifting Exp: 17 years

Bodybuilding is a science, but it ain't rocket science.

http://bungerbrad.wix.com/powerlifting

Number 4 really hits home with me. I know far too many people that have never worked a day in their life, and they are 18, 19, even 20 years old. They dont understand the value of money at all. Example: rich bratty girl gets a brand new BMW for her 17th birthday. Tells her dad its not the one she wanted, and the wrong colour. YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME!
    Last edited by Detard; 04-03-2009 at 10:58 PM.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

the reading one hit me by surprise, but i can definitely give it a +1. reading is excellent!
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Into the night.
    Quote Originally Posted by Detard View Post
    Number 4 really hits home with me. I know far too many people that have never worked a day in their life, and they are 18, 19, even 20 years old. They dont understand the value of money at all. Example: rich bratty girl gets a brand new BMW for her 17th birthday. Tells her dad its not the one she wanted, and the wrong colour. YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME!
    I went to a upper middle class/lower upper class high school with a good number of kids just like that. Kid would total his BMW doing something stupid one day, and the next he'd have a new Lexus from his parents. Mind boggling. My family definitely wasn't poor off either, we were definitely upper middle class and I still got a job every summer from age 14 on.. just the way it worked at my house.

Great article. It's absolutely a whole list of things I wish I could have/would have taken to heart when I was younger.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVrolok View Post
    I went to a upper middle class/lower upper class high school with a good number of kids just like that. Kid would total his BMW doing something stupid one day, and the next he'd have a new Lexus from his parents. Mind boggling. My family definitely wasn't poor off either, we were definitely upper middle class and I still got a job every summer from age 14 on.. just the way it worked at my house.

Great article. It's absolutely a whole list of things I wish I could have/would have taken to heart when I was younger.
    I agree man. I've had a job since I was 15. I just cant understand how any parents can think their child will grow up to be an independant person, when they havent worked a day in their life, and havent had to spend their own money! I'd like to see these kids have their parents tell them "alright little billy, no more allowance from you. You gotta get a job." Most of these kids would go bezerk.

I'm all for parents helping their kid out with stuff like giving them 20 bucks here, and 20 bucks there, or paying for the kid to play sports, paying for the kid's bus fair to get to work...etc. But I think its ridiculous when a person hasnt worked a day in their life.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

TJW

Good article, especially point no.4. A lot of kids have it too easy these days.

I think that work ethic is transferable to weightlifting too, I've had jobs since I was 14 and even now in my last year of University work with my old man who's a fisherman. I've had a lot of mates come to the gym with me before who have wanted to bulk/cut who have all lacked this work ethic, which has consequently led to them just giving up on the gym when it gets a bit tough.

definitely good article. as 19 year old myself, i realize how number 4 can come in play. even though i had a summer job, i still found myself a bit spoiled, however i wouldn't say i'm as bad the BMW girls. believe it or not, i think when i started lifting, i just became calmer all around, and started looking at everything from an outside perspective. lifting has really matured me and changed my personality, and way of living completely!
    gotta bookmark that site!
    Check out my Journal!

Quote Originally Posted by Skalami View Post
    I just give the worked on muscle group tough riddles before my workouts... or sometimes I'll tell them we're going to the park and then go to the gym, or visa versa. They start to catch on so you have to tell the truth every so often.
    *While on the topic of muscle confusion, and how often a routine needs to be changed.*

I don't know. I didn't really have much in the way of summer jobs (or any jobs actually) growing up. Athletics and academics usually took too much time to hold down much else and my folks wanted it that way. I turned out all right.

Not saying there's anything wrong with having a job as a young person, just saying that not having one doesn't automatically make you a spoiled brat.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

My own personal trainer dumbbell's Avatar
    "Five summers of landscaping for me really made me think about how I should work hard in school because I didnít want to do this for the rest of my life."

Money spent on private school tuition, tutors, and extra curricular activities: $$$$$$$
    This kind of education: ..........................................................................Priceless.

For everything else there's: "GET OFF YOUR A$$!!"
    Last edited by dumbbell; 04-06-2009 at 11:28 PM.
    Jason

It is currently a fad, at this writing, for boys to think they need a "six pack", although most of them don't have an ice chest to put it in.
    -Mark Rippetoe