Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Routine from AnimalPak.com

Banned

Routine from AnimalPak.com

Sup guys?

I found this over on animalpak.com and it looks pretty intense. I haven't ever really been on a routine. I mostly just do what I feel like that day but make sure to hit every bodypart at least once a week. Twice for legs most weeks.

Cycle: 6-Day Split Routine, Two Days On,

Cycle: One Day Off, One Day On, Two Days Off, Repeat.
    Level: Intermediate To Advanced
    Goal: Muscle Strength And Size

Monday: Chest/Shoulders/Triceps

Chest
    Incline Bench Presses: 2 Sets X 8 Reps
    Dumbbell Presses: 2 Sets X 8 Reps
    Incline Flyes: 2 Sets X 8 Reps
    Flat Bench Presses: 2 Sets X 8 Reps
    Cable Crossovers: 2 Sets X 15 Reps

Delts
    Machine Rear Laterals: 3 Sets X 10 Reps
    Side Laterals: 3 Sets X 10 Reps
    Machine Laterals: 3 Sets X 10 Reps
    Seated Presses: 2 Sets X 6 Reps

Triceps
    Overhead Tricep Extensions: 3 Sets X 12 Reps
    Lying Tricep Extensions: 3 Sets X 12 Reps

Abs
    Ab Crunches: 3 Sets X 15 Reps

Tuesday: Legs/Calves

Legs
    Squats: 4 Sets X 6-15 Reps
    Lying Leg Curls: 4 Sets X 15 Reps
    Sissy Squats: 4 Sets X 15 Reps
    Stiff Leg Deadlifts: 4 Sets X 15 Reps

Calves
    Standing Calf Machine: 4 Sets X 15 Reps
    Seated Calf Raises: 4 Sets X 15 Reps

Abs
    Reverse Ab Crunches: 3 Sets X 15 Reps

Wednesday: OFF

Thursday: Back/Biceps

Back
    Barbell Rows: 3 Sets X 6-8 Reps
    Dumbbell Rows: 3 Sets X 8 Reps
    Seated Cable Rows: 3 Sets X 10 Reps
    Chins: 3 Sets To Failure
    Deadlifts: 2 Sets X 6-8 Reps
    Shrugs: 4 Sets X 15 Reps

Biceps
    Preacher Curls: 3 Sets X 8 Reps
    Seated Dumbbell Curls: 3 Sets X 8 Reps

Abs:
    Ab Rope Crunches: 3 Sets X 15 Reps

Friday: OFF

Saturday: OFF

Sunday: REPEAT

Jay and Ronnie would probably think its pretty good....

I think it would depend heavily on the type of the trainee:

-current stats and goals and how long they have been training
    -how responsive they are to high volume training
    -ability to recover
    -drug use?

Most of us would struggle to really make decent gains from this type of set up. A good way to build 'muscle strength and size' is to use a routine that focuses on big compound movements.
    If you have never really used a routine before but have been lifting for a while then why not give Madcow 5x5 a try or something like that or if you want to do 4 days something like this
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi...kinny_Bastards
    or
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...h%2Fpull+split
    ^4th post down

Ultimately it is up to you but there are IMHO much better routines out there than what you posted. Most of these muscle mag type routines are best left to the pros.
    Last edited by -JM-; 10-22-2008 at 06:52 AM.

Banned
    I think the volume is a little much,

Banned
    Agree with Flynn. This is a routine for olympians on roids. Look into 5x5. Lift heavy, eat and sleep. Repeat for years. You will be amazed. No need for gimmicks, crazy new routines or supps.

Quote Originally Posted by liquidfire View Post
    Sup guys?

I found this over on animalpak.com and it looks pretty intense. I haven't ever really been on a routine. I mostly just do what I feel like that day but make sure to hit every bodypart at least once a week. Twice for legs most weeks.

Cycle: 6-Day Split Routine, Two Days On,

Cycle: One Day Off, One Day On, Two Days Off, Repeat.
    Level: Intermediate To Advanced
    Goal: Muscle Strength And Size

Monday: Chest/Shoulders/Triceps

Chest
    Incline Bench Presses: 2 Sets X 8 Reps
    Dumbbell Presses: 2 Sets X 8 Reps
    Incline Flyes: 2 Sets X 8 Reps
    Flat Bench Presses: 2 Sets X 8 Reps
    Cable Crossovers: 2 Sets X 15 Reps

Delts
    Machine Rear Laterals: 3 Sets X 10 Reps
    Side Laterals: 3 Sets X 10 Reps
    Machine Laterals: 3 Sets X 10 Reps
    Seated Presses: 2 Sets X 6 Reps

Triceps
    Overhead Tricep Extensions: 3 Sets X 12 Reps
    Lying Tricep Extensions: 3 Sets X 12 Reps

Abs
    Ab Crunches: 3 Sets X 15 Reps

Tuesday: Legs/Calves

Legs
    Squats: 4 Sets X 6-15 Reps
    Lying Leg Curls: 4 Sets X 15 Reps
    Sissy Squats: 4 Sets X 15 Reps
    Stiff Leg Deadlifts: 4 Sets X 15 Reps

Calves
    Standing Calf Machine: 4 Sets X 15 Reps
    Seated Calf Raises: 4 Sets X 15 Reps

Abs
    Reverse Ab Crunches: 3 Sets X 15 Reps

Wednesday: OFF

Thursday: Back/Biceps

Back
    Barbell Rows: 3 Sets X 6-8 Reps
    Dumbbell Rows: 3 Sets X 8 Reps
    Seated Cable Rows: 3 Sets X 10 Reps
    Chins: 3 Sets To Failure
    Deadlifts: 2 Sets X 6-8 Reps
    Shrugs: 4 Sets X 15 Reps

Biceps
    Preacher Curls: 3 Sets X 8 Reps
    Seated Dumbbell Curls: 3 Sets X 8 Reps

Abs:
    Ab Rope Crunches: 3 Sets X 15 Reps

Friday: OFF

Saturday: OFF

Sunday: REPEAT
    this pretty much says it all mate!! it will be to advanced for you if you have not been lifting a proper routine and your a novice.

basically all your answers you will recieve will tell you to squat, deadlift, bench etc, use all the compound movements to build up a solid base. try starting strength!!

Banned
    I think I should clear things up here... I am not a 'novice'. I've been lifting for about 8 years.

Squat 500lbs
    Bench 365lbs
    Deadlift 550lbs

Banned
    Are you juicing?

Cut the volume in half if you aren't. Even if you are... I don't know that still seems like a lot. Hope you can pack on the calories and get tons of sleep....

Banned
    If those are your numbers, I doubt you will need much routine advice

Banned
    Also, what are your goals?

I've been lifting for years, but I don't think I'd do that routine. For one thing, with me, it's time. There's so much, I wouldn't have enough time to get it all done in the time that I have. I tried a 'pro' routine like that several years ago - drug free. I was so tired and over-trained that I lost strength and many of the other over-training symptoms. I had to take a week off and then start a 'normal' routine.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

I think I should clear things up here... I am not a 'novice'. I've been lifting for about 8 years.

Squat 500lbs
    Bench 365lbs
    Deadlift 550lbs
    Well I should probably be seeking your advice then.

You must have a good idea of what works for you after 8 years.

I stand by everything I said in the first part of my post though otherwise I dont think I am the one to be offering you alternative routines. You should have revealed a little more about yourself even just that you had over a 1400lb total.

What are you views on the routine?
    Last edited by -JM-; 10-22-2008 at 02:26 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Reko View Post
    Are you juicing?

Cut the volume in half if you aren't. Even if you are... I don't know that still seems like a lot. Hope you can pack on the calories and get tons of sleep....
    Not now. It really doesn't look like that much volume. 10 sets for chest? I've done 20+ sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bracken View Post
    If those are your numbers, I doubt you will need much routine advice
    I already said I haven't ever followed a routine. I've mostly just done whatever my boys were doing that day and made sure to hit each bodypart once or twice a week.

Also, what are your goals?
    Size mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by rbtrout View Post
    I've been lifting for years, but I don't think I'd do that routine. For one thing, with me, it's time. There's so much, I wouldn't have enough time to get it all done in the time that I have. I tried a 'pro' routine like that several years ago - drug free. I was so tired and over-trained that I lost strength and many of the other over-training symptoms. I had to take a week off and then start a 'normal' routine.
    Yeah I've definitely hit points where I was doing too much too. A week off usually fixes me right up though.

Quote Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
    Well I should probably be seeking your advice then.

You must have a good idea of what works for you after 8 years.

I stand by everything I said in the first part of my post though otherwise I dont think I am the one to be offering you alternative routines. You should have revealed a little more about yourself even just that you had over a 1400lb total.

What are you views on the routine?
    I don't know. I think it looks pretty decent. I'd usually do arms seperately so they aren't pre-exhausted but I wouldn't mind trying this out.

I have a hard time believing you have those numbers yet never stuck to a routine. Im sure its possible, just unlikely. Post some videos.
    Sarvamangalam!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    I have a hard time believing you have those numbers yet never stuck to a routine. Im sure its possible, just unlikely. Post some videos.
    I have a hard time believing you're 'gettin jiggy with it' with a name like ZenMonkey. Post some videos.

I have a hard time believing you're 'gettin jiggy with it' with a name like ZenMonkey. Post some videos.
    What? That makes absolutely no sense. I was not being rude, just telling saying what is probably on all of our minds. There are very few people with totals that high that have never stuck to a split.

As far as routine goes, something as simple as this will work for you since you have never stuck to a routine

Squat
    Press
    Row

DL
    Press
    Pullup

Squat Varitaition
    SLDL
    Dips
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 10-22-2008 at 02:57 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Eh, I squatted 435 and pulled 445 within a year without sticking to much of a routine. I pretty much knew what I was doing the whole time, though. But given eight years...

What is your current weight and body fat at? After that many years training, you may be nearing a limit for additional size without other considerations. I doubt a simple routine would do much for you at this stage. Lyle McDonald's generic bodybuilding routine might be good. Layne Norton's stuff might be worth looking at.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    What? That makes absolutely no sense. I was not being rude, just telling saying what is probably on all of our minds. There are very few people with totals that high that have never stuck to a split.

As far as routine goes, something as simple as this will work for you since you have never stuck to a routine

Squat
    Press
    Row

DL
    Press
    Pullup

Squat Varitaition
    SLDL
    Dips
    I'm going to assume you mean do 3x8 or 3x10 or something for each of those exercises. I don't see why I'd want to do all that in a day and it doesn't make much sense to me to Bench then row then deadlift then bench again. There are more hard compounds in this than what i posted from animalpak. And at least i'd be doing different things each day on the animalpak routine instead of doing the same thing everyday.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Auburn View Post
    Eh, I squatted 435 and pulled 445 within a year without sticking to much of a routine. I pretty much knew what I was doing the whole time, though. But given eight years...

What is your current weight and body fat at? After that many years training, you may be nearing a limit for additional size without other considerations. I doubt a simple routine would do much for you at this stage. Lyle McDonald's generic bodybuilding routine might be good. Layne Norton's stuff might be worth looking at.
    5'8, 230lbs, maybe 15% bf. I'm bulking right now though...

lol at the stupid comment about zenmonkey getting jiggy with it. This is clearly one of time wasters that wants to argue with advice.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by anonymous1 View Post
    lol at the stupid comment about zenmonkey getting jiggy with it. This is clearly one of time wasters that wants to argue with advice.
    He didn't give me advice. He came in here and doubted my lifts for no reason other than I am stronger than him.

I added as much to the thread as he did with my post. That was the point. Now, if you have nothing useful to say, get out of my thread.

Banned
    The issue is if you are really going all out as opposed to just getting work in, you won't need that many sets/exercises. And if you aren't going to failure or at least close to it, you are cutting yourself short with the exercise, and therefore need additional ones, when the first one or two would have been sufficient.

Thats my view on it. Just seems like a lot of overkill and time spent in the gym when it doesn't need to be.

Banned
    Really, the only way to find out is to try it and see if it works. If it does, great, it not, well you know what to do.
    My money is it being too much to be effective for a long period of time. I'm happy runnign a west side routine, it works for me so I'll keep on that train 'till the wheels fall off.

I think this is a corny routine designed to look "cool", not be effective. The reason is that it does not follow the fundamentals of successful weight training - Train the big 4 (squat, bench, dead, row/chin) and do supplementary exercises that aid in those lifts. If you like it, do it and see what happens...your enjoyment of the routine is important too.

Banned
    The issue is if you are really going all out as opposed to just getting work in, you won't need that many sets/exercises. And if you aren't going to failure or at least close to it, you are cutting yourself short with the exercise, and therefore need additional ones, when the first one or two would have been sufficient.

Thats my view on it. Just seems like a lot of overkill and time spent in the gym when it doesn't need to be.
    I've read Arnolds book and the routines in there always had lots of sets. He never seemed to go to failure but he did lots of lighter easier sets. I try to do the same time. I pick a weight that I can easily complete my sets with.

I don't mind the time in the gym, I really enjoy lifting. So time isn't really an issue.

Can you point me to a routine like you're talking about where I'd do less but just closer to my maxes...

Banned
    Really, the only way to find out is to try it and see if it works. If it does, great, it not, well you know what to do.
    My money is it being too much to be effective for a long period of time. I'm happy runnign a west side routine, it works for me so I'll keep on that train 'till the wheels fall off.
    I've heard of westside... But it's more of a powerlifting routine right? And pretty much only for juicers cuz of all the maxing out right?

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous1 View Post
    I think this is a corny routine designed to look "cool", not be effective. The reason is that it does not follow the fundamentals of successful weight training - Train the big 4 (squat, bench, dead, row/chin) and do supplementary exercises that aid in those lifts. If you like it, do it and see what happens...your enjoyment of the routine is important too.
    It has squat, bench and deadlift in it and many more compounds. It sounds like most of you are not fans of high volume training...