Thread: Strength/Weight Loss Routine

Strength/Weight Loss Routine

A co-worker of mine wants to shed a good bit of weight (at least 50 pounds) and wants to implement a "cardio heavy" routine, however he also wants to continue increasing his strength in the major lifts. I told him that I really didn't think that was possible, but he drew up a routine and asked what I thought about it. I looked it over and I actually didn't see much of a problem with it, but I'd like to get some feedback if any of you guys see any potential issues. Here it is:

MONDAY:
    Squats
    Ab Work
    30 minutes of Cardio

TUESDAY:
    Bench Press
    Barbell Rows
    30 minutes of Cardio

THURSDAY:
    Deadlifts
    Chins
    30 minutes of Cardio

FRIDAY:
    Overhead Press
    Dips
    30 minutes of Cardio

I'm going to watch this thread because I'm in the same boat as your friend. Right now I'm basically just doing rippetoes with some cardio on the off days.
    As for the weight loss I'm just dropping my maintenance calories by about 800 per day.

Banned
    On my last cut I went from 245 to 179 and saw all three major lifts increase. I did 3x3 mostly (balls to the wall after warmup) on MWF and HIIT cardio on off days with one full day of rest. Get a lot of protein in and good carbs. Cut out the sugar n other crap. Shoot for 500 cals below maintenance and adjust as you drop the fat.

I'm currenntly bulking and eating EVERYTHING in site at 186 (as of this morning) and am noticing virtually no fat gain (I'm sure there's some but nothing asthetically displeasing yet) and significant hypertrophy and strength increases. I'm on 5x5 now. GL! Consistency is THE key, along with honest HARD WORK!

I suggested to him that if he were going to go forward with this (which he is dead set on doing), then I would go with the following scheme for the core lifts:

Week 1: 3x3 with sets at 80, 85, and 90% of 1RM
    Week 2: 3x5 with sets at 75, 80, and 85% of 1RM
    Week 3: 1x5, 1x3, and 1x1 with sets at 85, 90, and 95% of 1RM

I think with this progression that he should still be able to increase his strength despite all of the cardio combined with a severe lack of assistance exercises.

losing weight is about diet. Anyone looking to lose weight while training should lift the same way they would if they were to bulk but watch calorie intake.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Cards View Post
    losing weight is about diet. Anyone looking to lose weight while training should lift the same way they would if they were to bulk but watch calorie intake.
    I get that, and my buddy knows that as well. He simply feels that increasing cardio gives him his best chance to drop pounds because he is admitedly too undisciplined to reduce his caloric in-take to the necesary level. My basic concern was whether or not it was possible to do 30-45 minutes of cardio per day and still increase strength. If it is, then he is going to go that route. If it isn't possible, then he will probably stick to something along the lines of a Westside routine and just keep the weight on.

it is possible, also he does not have much volume in his lifting before the cardio, he will have alot of energy to waste on those 2 exercises before the cardio.

also he could try eating most of his carbs in the meal before the workout and hardly any after the workout besides the post workout meal