The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Box Squat Weight

I'm going start doing box squats within the next few weeks, and having not done them before, I was wondering how the weight on those compares (generally of course) to the weight used for your normal back squat. Would it be the same weight, more weight, or slightly less weight? NOTE: I am not planning to do the dynamic box squats (60% 1RM for 10x2) that Louie Simmons promotes.

I know that no one can predict what I will personally be able to lift, but I'd like to know what many of you can do so that I'll have a rough idea of where to start.

Thanks!!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    I have always been able to use a little more weight on box squats than with free squats. The box does make me feel safer when handling heavier weights.

One tip that some of my powerlifting training partners have shared with me is to keep the reps low on box work. (5 or less)
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Banned
    when going ~1 inch below parallel I am about 10-20 pounds less than my free squat.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunar Effect View Post
    I'm going start doing box squats within the next few weeks, and having not done them before, I was wondering how the weight on those compares (generally of course) to the weight used for your normal back squat. Would it be the same weight, more weight, or slightly less weight?
    For me it depends if I just touch and go ( which I sometimes do just to make sure I'm getting depth ), or if I completely sit on the box, which I do for DE squats. For me, sitting on the box means I do less weight, but I don't usually do box squats for ME workouts ( but I have before and I did less ). But I'm tall and probably have quite different body mechanics than most on here.

NOTE: I am not planning to do the dynamic box squats (60% 1RM for 10x2) that Louie Simmons promotes.
    Is there a specific reason you aren't doing these? If not, I'd suggest you give them a try. I think doing these is what has helped my squat the most. ( I just finished doing my DE box squats, and all I can think is HOLY CRAP! I'm really really happy with how my squats are progressing. Even though I'm really tall, have had knee problems in the past, over 40,... I think I am developing a pretty good squat. That makes me really happy )
    Last edited by BigTallOx; 10-23-2008 at 04:05 PM.

I was always able to do a touch MORE weight on box squats, but it took me a while to build up to that. I box squatted again after not having done it in about 6 months (this was last night) and it was a lot tougher. If you are not used to box squatting I'd say not to go higher than 80-85% of your max weight on free squats to start, then build up closer to your free squat max over time.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Soilwork addict.
    Depends on the height of the box. The box I use is a good ways below parrallel. Sounds like that is not the case for anyone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by StormTheBeach View Post
    I think I am just going to start posting dick pictures on here until this thread gets deleted.
    18% BF down from 25%+ since April. Halfway to abs.

Current 1200+ gym total. 214 lbs 5'10.5" 36.5" waist.

Working on correcting some imbalances at the moment.

Thanks for the responses guys. I should have mentioned that the box I plan to use will be an inch or so below parallel. I think I'll start off somewhere around 80-90% of my 1RM and see how it goes from there.

Ox - I may give the dynamic box squats a try in the future, but it's just not what I'm cycling into my routine for the time being.

I have only recently started using box squats and I actually got a few more lbs on them than full back squat. I was using the end of a low bench which sat about 2'' below paralell. It felt high compared to my back squat which I was pleased about. However the thing was, the heavier my sets got the less I sat through them and released my hip flexors as suggested (im not sure if I was even doing that properly) The last 3 sets were just touch and go for sure.

This isnt even a useful response

I can usually do about 80-90% of my 1rm free squat.
    Sarvamangalam!