The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My Bench Poundage Was PATHETIC!...

I cannot believe this f*cking horsesh*t! Never seen anything so pathetic in my life. I have been doin flat DBs and dips for chest for the past year or 2. Havnt done flat BB presses since my sophmore year maybe even freshman year. Gave them a shot today. I got 235 x 4.5!!!

That is PATHETIC!! I dont know what the f*ck happened. I mean I have been getting stronger in every other exercise for the past 2 years. Can not doing bench make it that damn pathetic. Back a year ago I could practically incline 235. Used to do 215-220 on incline for 4 reps.

... How can I get my bench WAY up!?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Let your nervous system adapt the new movement. Your weight will increase in no time.

syntekz-
    I hope so man, I felt like the biggest b*tch today! Doing 235 for 4.5 and 205 for 9.5. Then +90 lbs. for dips and 100 lbs. DB presses. Totally out of proportion lifts. I would think a 205 for 10 bench would do bodyweight dips and 70 lbs. DB presses...

MonStar, I can do +115 for reps on dips and 100 lb Db's for 7 reps, but I can only BP 225 for 5-6, at the absolute most. You're not that out of proportion.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

PowerManDL-
    Really man? Wow that makes me feel a LOT better actually. I thought I was completely wacked out. How can some guys bench 315-350 lbs. for reps and not dip or DB press anything then? Wierd huh..

I find benching 135 for 10 annoying, 225 is a major effort just to get 1.

I incline DB press the 95's. It's a totally different movement. Dumbbell pressing is far superior in my opinion.

MashallPenn-
    Yeah DBs are far superior in my opinion too. But my gym only goes up to the 100s, so whats a guy to do? Anyway yeah 95s on incline is very very impressive. Why is everyone so obsessed with bench then if it doesnt even do much. Or does it? I think its an efficient chest exercise. I prefer DBs, but oh well.

Marshall, you use the 95's but your max is only 225? That sounds very out of proportion to me, especially with the 95's on an incline.
    my other favorite forum! Check it out!

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/

the_hall-
    Thats my entire point bro, how out of proportion I am.

Monstar, how have your db presses been latley as far as poundages on your routine. I belive you are doing a 4 day split, with shoulders and traps togeather in their own workout.

That is a split that overtrained my delts, and made my bench go way down. Im curious how the split it working for you?
    my other favorite forum! Check it out!

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/

Face it, you're a pussy!

Ok, not really. Like syntekz said, it is all about the neural adaptation. You will find that your bench press strength will shoot up if you continue it.
    Last edited by chris mason; 04-01-2002 at 06:45 PM.

Chris you beat me to it. I was going to make the smart *ss comment.

Keep at it, with your determination, you won't stay at 235 for long. However, given what has been said here, I don't think I want to try BB soon.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Yeah I HOPE that my bench shoots up soon, real f*cking soon. There was some fat b*tch in my gym with man tits doing 355 for a few reps. Pisses me off. Oh well. Ill be there in another year or so... haha.

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    hmmmmmm I wonder

Haha roids probably but still, three 45s on each side is impressive.

Who cares how much you do? Does it matter? No.

I care. Because I want big poundages in every exercise and my chest is usually one of my stronger bodyparts.

lmao @ Chris!
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!

Wannabebig Member

Bench Press

Hey guys whats up? When I first started benching 5 years ago I did 90 lbs for 10. Today I can roughly do 260 for 10. Here is my chest workout.

135x10 (w)
    185x10 (w)
    225x8
    255x5
    275x3
    310x1
    310x1
    310x1
    255x5

3 sets of incline bench press of 95 lbs (dumbbells)
    2 sets of decline for 295 lbs (SMITH)

I also do biceps, take me about 50 minutes in the gym. I am a powerlifter though, and I do not do westside. I did not like it, too much hype. It works, but not for me. My max is around 345 lbs... i weigh 180.

Steve
    Last edited by Big Poppa SP; 04-02-2002 at 09:19 AM.

Banned
    I went the other way, from flat bench to DB incline bench, and I can definitely vouch for the neuromuscular lag-time in adjusting to the new exercise. Changing to Dbs from bar was huge and changing from flat to incline was also huge difference.

I saw all my poundages go down by what I thought was an embarassing amount, but they all spiked back up again after a couple weeks' training in the new exercise. So just stick with it, man.

For sake of more data on the proportion stuff, I do 95s for incline DB press (2 sets at 6-8 reps) and 245 for a couple 6-8 rep sets on flat bench (I do both exercises in my workout now).

Myself, I think my pecs have always been the weakest part of my body... my lats and legs have always seemed disproportionately strong... I'm doing 810 for reps on leg press and closing in on 500 for squats, and I don't consider myself terribly buff or strong yet -- gimme a year or so back in the gym hardcore and we'll see what's what.

Bottom line: I seem to be pretty close in line with what you are doing for pecs, so it ain't that disproportionate.

I think people overstate the benefits/difference between incline/flat bench movements. I do both, but I think that incline bench shouldn't be that much harder/lower than flat. If you're doing it right, you're recruiting most of the strength from the pec, aren't you? In my own workout, I mostly just like the change of pace and slightly different angle of attack.

Callahan

Callahan-
    Nice post bro, impressive leg strength. You should consider starting a journal I would really like to check it out. Good luck man. Closing in on 500 lbs. squats!? Your up with Belial's strength...

my best so far is 275 for sets of 8 reps on flat BB bench press, with +105 for dips and 120's for 2 sets of 6 reps on incline DB's... i dont know how out of proportion it is, but what works best for my chest is every week i switch off between starting with flat BB bench press and incline DB press. i go up 5 pounds every time i work out. i do my first sets of 6-8 reps and then always go up 10 pounds to see if i can get 4-6 reps. i gained about 90 on my max last semester and i am hoping to be at 365 this summer for my max. Well, i cut my hand open and couldnt lift for 7 months, so that is another reasonn for my quick progression, but i havent plateaued in 6 months of the same program, if this helps at all....
    Don't just call me pessimist. Try and read between the lines. I can't imagine why you wouldn't Welcome any change, my friend. I wanna see it all come down. suck it down. flush it down.

I am 5'11" 215 if that makes a difference in comparison either
    Don't just call me pessimist. Try and read between the lines. I can't imagine why you wouldn't Welcome any change, my friend. I wanna see it all come down. suck it down. flush it down.

my legs used to be extremely disproportionate to my upper body, i used to do leg press with 13 plates on each side for reps of 12-15 and then go to squates with 365 for reps of 10-12. and i couldnt bench 245. but this was when i used to play volleyball in college 3 years ago, but i blew out my knee and can only lift on my calves, i think it also might be disproportionate that i can use 8 plates for seated calve raise for reps...

Banned
    Originally posted by The Calvinator
    my legs used to be extremely disproportionate to my upper body, i used to do leg press with 13 plates on each side for reps of 12-15 and then go to squates with 365 for reps of 10-12. and i couldnt bench 245. but this was when i used to play volleyball in college 3 years ago, but i blew out my knee and can only lift on my calves, i think it also might be disproportionate that i can use 8 plates for seated calve raise for reps...
    13 plates a side? That's some heinous weight for legs, dude. ~1170lbs unless I've missed a digit in there somewhere.

You ought to be able to squat more than 365 if you can do that kind of weight for leg press (I assume you're talking about a plate-loaded 45degree sled press).

Callahan