The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Will my grip not develop as well if I start using a mixed grip on deadlifts?

I've being doing Rippetoe's for 5 weeks, and I find that my grip tends to slip on my working set of deadlifts. The mixed grip helps me alot. Will doing that keep me from developing a stronger grip.
    I'll have to gain a bunch of weight just to be skinny, and then a bunch more to even look like I lift weights.
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...29#post2002529

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Unless you want the DL to translate into cleans it wont matter.
    Sarvamangalam!

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    Unless you want the DL to translate into cleans it wont matter.
    I'm sorry, I don't understand you.
    I'll have to gain a bunch of weight just to be skinny, and then a bunch more to even look like I lift weights.
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...29#post2002529

If your goals include Cleaning of any sort then DLing w/ the overhand grip is a wiser decision.

If not it wont matter insofar as development/strength goes. You can switch back and forth too if you like.
    Sarvamangalam!

Using a double overhand grip will help improve your grip more than a mixed grip, but it is going to be the limiting factor for your deadlift. I use a double overhand grip until the weight gets too heavy, then switch to a mixed grip. That way you get the best of both worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by scrawnybastard View Post
    I've being doing Rippetoe's for 5 weeks, and I find that my grip tends to slip on my working set of deadlifts. The mixed grip helps me alot. Will doing that keep me from developing a stronger grip.
    Thought about chalk or straps? Ive gone to straps and much prefer it over mixed grip. Lets me focus more on the lift and form and less about how my grip changes over the set.
    - Slave & Master At The Same Damn Time -
    Hoping To Compete Natty Early 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Pilot View Post
    Thought about chalk or straps? Ive gone to straps and much prefer it over mixed grip. Lets me focus more on the lift and form and less about how my grip changes over the set.
    Yea there's a pretty big problem with straps and developing grip strength. That's because if you are using straps then you aren't working your grip.
    Roll Tide.

I like chalk.
    Sarvamangalam!

Quote Originally Posted by KarstenDD View Post
    Yea there's a pretty big problem with straps and developing grip strength. That's because if you are using straps then you aren't working your grip.
    Since Rippetoe is gospel here:

"Deadlift straps have a place in training...They can allow heavier back training if grip is the limiting factor, or they can cause grip to be a limiting factor,
    by keeping it from getting strong if used too often with too light a weight."-Rippetoe, SS

Im no DL pro, but when I am doing them I am more worried about good form and working my target and stabilizer muscles than I am my grip strength. Your forearms will still gain strength etc. as well. For me, straps fill the void of chalk. I dont use them to "hang" the weight off of, I simply use them as a better texture to grip with sweaty hands lol.

That being said, chalk would seem an ideal option. But if your gym doesnt have/allow it, straps will often allow you to complete reps in the heavier weights that your grip simply will not support.
    Last edited by Irish Pilot; 10-25-2008 at 04:29 PM.

I have a feeling you misunderstand that quote.

I've always used a mixed grip on deadlifts and my grip has not been a problem, ever.

Wannabebig Member
    What is a "mixed grip?"

I "was" getting tired... 40 Nunc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    I agree with this... LOL!

A Rip Anecdote:

My favorite happens to be the tale on supplementary equipment. A man insisted on wearing straps for exercises he probably could have gotten away without having worn them. Rip, in classic Rip fashion, decided to start wearing straps to do all sorts of things, including opening doors and going to the bathroom (he would wear one on his "holding" hand, gotta have wrist support for that) until the guy stopped wearing straps completely.
    "There are no shortcuts. The fact that a shortcut is important to you means that you are a pussy. Let me be clear here: if you'd rather take steroids than do your squats heavy and drink enough milk, then you are a ****ing Pussy. I have no time or patience for ****ing Pussies. Please tell everyone you know that I said this." Mark Rippetoe

Quite possible. I read it to say that if grip is an issue with heavy weight, straps can be used to help correct what is lost so that the back still gets the heavy workout.

Quote Originally Posted by designer12 View Post
    What is a "mixed grip?"
    Also called an alternate grip.
    Last edited by Irish Pilot; 10-25-2008 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 40 Nunc View Post
    I agree with this... LOL!

A Rip Anecdote:

My favorite happens to be the tale on supplementary equipment. A man insisted on wearing straps for exercises he probably could have gotten away without having worn them. Rip, in classic Rip fashion, decided to start wearing straps to do all sorts of things, including opening doors and going to the bathroom (he would wear one on his "holding" hand, gotta have wrist support for that) until the guy stopped wearing straps completely.
    Lol.

Quite possible. I read it to say that if grip is an issue with heavy weight, straps can be used to help correct what is lost so that the back still gets the heavy workout.
    That's half the story, but the part you highlighted was warning of the dangers of straps (ie: weak grip if used as a crutch).

Just re-read the Deadlift chapter in SS and found this:

"For those not intending to deadlift at a meet, straps may be a logical choice for the heavy sets, since one supine hand and one prone hand produces asymmetrical stress on the shoulders and can cause or aggravate bicep tendon problems on the supine side in some people."

I will say though, in rereading the chapter he does seem to have the mindset that they shouldnt be used until weight is an issue. "Grip strength is crucial to the deadlift."

That being said, it leads me to a question. Ive used them as Ive noticed I can lift a good amount more weight with them than without. Even after reading SS several times Ive never made the correlation to grip strength. All things considered though, the weight must travel the same distance etc, so is it safe to assume that part of the load from grip strength is transferred to the back-legs then...good, bad or otherwise? It must as the load doesnt change correct?

That's half the story, but the part you highlighted was warning of the dangers of straps (ie: weak grip if used as a crutch).
    Right, but I thought the emphasis was with "too light a weight." He speaks about not using them during warmup sets but using them for heavy working sets. I figured his point was basically that if you are using them, you better be at a weight that grip is the reason its being weak off the floor. Either way I guess I underrated the significance of grip strength.

I alternate my over/under hands to avoid the problems he mentions.

Your last paragraph is correct.

Right, but I thought the emphasis was with "too light a weight." He speaks about not using them during warmup sets but using them for heavy working sets. I figured his point was basically that if you are using them, you better be at a weight that grip is the reason its being weak off the floor. Either way I guess I underrated the significance of grip strength.
    Ya, that's what he meant. But he also says, your grip might be weak at that weight because you are using straps and not developing your grip.

It really depends what you're training for. If you want to have practical strength you have to be able to transfer your strength to something, which is usually done with your hands/grip. At the same time, you'll probably encounter few situations in life where grip strength is going to be the limiting factor.

But if you can train it, why not?

When I was deadlifting heavier, and had to get to a point where I mixed it up, I DID alternate the reversed hand..but, I also tried to always be moving the weight or amount of reps up where I had to actually switch to a mixed grip. I think at my best, it was double overhand 315x3 (without releasing), and I would go mixed up to singles of 365 and my best was 395 for one, once. So, I was always 50-70lbs between double overhand and mixed. But, I know I was mixing it up at 275 at one point. I just kept pushing it out. I have some seriously tiny hands and fingers, too, and don't use chalk.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Try using chalk when doing deadlifts. It really helps the grip. Then when you go for your 1 max rep you can use a mixed grip if you'd like. But the chalk should be enough to allow you to use a conventional grip. Chalk has added like 4 reps to my sets. My grips use to always give out before I became tired.

It really depends what you're training for. If you want to have practical strength you have to be able to transfer your strength to something, which is usually done with your hands/grip. At the same time, you'll probably encounter few situations in life where grip strength is going to be the limiting factor.
    I find that whenever I'm doing any sort of "real world lifting" that grip is almost always the limiting factor. Nothing in real life is shaped like barbell, its all awkward and hard to hold on to.
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

Good point. But if that's the case, do you think training your grip with a barbell is going to be transferable to when you're lifting a couch or any other "real life" test of strength?

(Serious question)

Banned
    Just to weigh in real quick here, don't forget to throw in a set of heavy dumbell lunges on your leg day as that too will assist your grip, while helping you hit each leg individually.