The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

My olympic weightlifting shoes experience

I got my pair a few days ago and I have to say I'm definately impressed, especially my overhead press. I feel so much more stable and more explosive at the bottom. I was already squatting deep without them, but it's definately easier to get out of the hole and to keep my back upright. This was my first time using them and I can say right now, I'll never go back to regular shoes again. Getting the shoes has also given me the motivation to work on my overhead squats, something I did not pay attention to before.

I shot a PM to Sensei about this but I wanted to hear you guys' opinions also. What do you guys think about deadlifting in olympic weightlifting shoes? I pull sumo, just to let you know. Would it be detrimental b/c of the raised heels, or does it matter?

EDIT:
    I just took a picture to show you guys what I got -
    http://i38.tinypic.com/2wq4wn7.jpg
    Last edited by MPB; 10-25-2008 at 08:57 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I dont know about sumo but conv is awesome. more quan engagement for sure.
    Sarvamangalam!

Do you feel like you can pull more (1rm) with your olympic lifting shoes on?

hard to tell. I was injured and couldnt lift when I got the shoes so couldn't tell ya... sorry. I am sure you would adjust to one or the other, so it might not really matter.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 10-25-2008 at 09:44 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

I've tried pulling with wrestling shoes and bare feet before, and I hated both. Seeing how olympic lifting shoes keep your feet stable, I think they might be pretty good for pulling. The only downside I can think of is having to pull a little more in order to lockout b/c of the raised heels.

Do you do narrow squats? I would assume so if you use those shoes.
    I am curious if olympic shoes fit in to powerlifting at all. Do some big lifters use them?
    Last edited by BFGUITAR; 10-25-2008 at 10:38 PM.

Yea, my stance is about shoulder width. Not sure if others use them but I know deeder (I think but I'm not sure) squats in oly lifting shoes, and he is a powerlifter.
    Last edited by MPB; 10-26-2008 at 12:45 AM.

Ironwork III's.

The Ironwork I and II are good, but narrow and rather uncomfortable. The Adistars are just plain ****. When a 16 year old boy lifting my weights breaks a shoe like I have, you know it sucks. By all reports the Adistar II's are better. Mine will be arriving soon.

I have yet to try the Ironwork III's but the heel construction looks identical to the Adistars. Keep and eye out of any wearing of the heel rubber, or the heel wooden section in general.

But seeing as you won't be slamming your foot like an Oly lifter these shoes will get you a good 10 years.
    Last edited by Fuzzy; 10-26-2008 at 06:47 AM.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    Do you do narrow squats? I would assume so if you use those shoes.
    I am curious if olympic shoes fit in to powerlifting at all. Do some big lifters use them?
    Oly shoes are no good for wide squats, but for 'medium' and narrow stance they are great!

Quote Originally Posted by MightyPitbull View Post
    Yea, my stance is about shoulder width. Not sure if others use them but I know deeder (I think but I'm not sure) squats in oly lifting shoes, and he is a powerlifter.
    You're right. I can't squat in anything else. Lots of IPF lifters use oly shoes because for the most part, you won't see the extreme wide stance you'll find in multi-ply feds.

As for whoever asked if pulling sumo in oly shoes is a good idea... I'd say hell no. I've never tried it but I can't imagine I'd be able to get on my heels and pull back in the same way. I don't even like the way it feels doing straight leg deads with my squat shoes on.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Thanks for sharing that, deeder.

Fuzzy, the one I have is called Adidas Equipment 2K. I'm not sure if that's the real name but that's what was on the box.

[QUOTE=MightyPitbull;2023743] What do you guys think about deadlifting in olympic weightlifting shoes? I pull sumo, just to let you know. Would it be detrimental b/c of the raised heels, or does it matter?QUOTE]

Deadlifting in a show with a heel is a bad idea. In a deadlift the weight pulls you forward while you are pulling back.

A shoe with a heel will place you in an even more forward postition. That is not what you want.

Kenny Croxdale

I don't think the adistars are that bad, actually. I've known a number of people who have had a pair last for a few years, and the only complaint I have heard is that, on a few pairs, one or two of the straps broke.

That being said, I loved my ironwork II's. I'm wearing a pair of nike's these days - very secure feeling, but heavy (not that that matters much.) We'll see how they hold up. I wouldn't be opposed to trying to find another pair of Ironwork II's, though.

Where did you find those shoes?? I have a pair of the black rogues and they definitely have made a difference for me but those look like they have a higher heel and I feel like I could use just a tad more than the rogues offer.
    "Fine, if I'm not allowed to light it on fire, can my imaginary friend?"

Quote Originally Posted by MightyPitbull View Post
    Thanks for sharing that, deeder.

Fuzzy, the one I have is called Adidas Equipment 2K. I'm not sure if that's the real name but that's what was on the box.
    Ah! My bad, I thought they looked very similar to the old equips, but assumed they were the Ironwork IIIs that I had seen some while back. I should have checked.

The old equips are arguably the best weightlifting shoe ever created, I have only seen one pair broken, and that was a buy a superheavy, most oly lifters people who use them for squats would never break them.

Regardless, that heel construction looks like it was taken from the Adistars, heed my warning and look out, especially near the rear.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Runty View Post
    Where did you find those shoes?? I have a pair of the black rogues and they definitely have made a difference for me but those look like they have a higher heel and I feel like I could use just a tad more than the rogues offer.
    I was just looking online trying to find a cheap pair and I stumbled upon this website: http://www.shoebacca.com/catalogsear...=weightlifting

They only had 3 sizes for Adidas Equipment and I was just lucky enough that my feet were perfect size 7.5

And JHarris & Fuzzy, thanks for the tips.

I converted to Adidas Ironwork II shoes after I lifted at the 2007 IPF worlds and discovered that I was 1 of only 3 male lifters in the whole meet wearing flat shoes (chucks). I bombed on depth for squat and the advice I got straight away from all corners was get a heel. Belyaev wore metal flat soled shoes and Clive Henry wore chucks- everyone else had weightlifting shoes. Since the change I have felt hitting depth is much easier and I feel much more stable.
    I won't recommend deadlifting in a heel- you want the weight on the heel not the toe and you want to be as close to the floor as possible to minimize the distance the bar moves.

Wannabebig New Member
    any of you guys heard of do-win weightlifting shoes, my buddy reckons he can get me some but i'd like to know a bit more about them?

I don't know why you would deadlift or squat, powerlifting style (especially sumo) in Oly Lifting shoes. I don't notice a big difference with them (I have Ironworks II's and I have a narrow foot so I like them other than that they are ugly), but the main deal is that the heel is elevated so you push pretty well with your heel when you're being explosive.

I guess the same idea could apply to deadlifts, but if I try for a really heavy DL in them I just lean far forward. I'd much rather do powerlifting exercises in my Chuck's.