The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Squatting Form

Wannabebig Member

Squatting Form

Alright, so here's the deal. I went to the YMCA today to workout, and I was squatting. So I was doing 150 and some heavier weights (yes, to some of you that'd be easy as hell, but I'm not too strong yet), and the guy who works there came over and told me I was doing it wrong, and that my knees were out too much when squatting. So he took a ton of weight off, and made me do 95 just to get the form down. I did that with ease, but my form isn't anything great. Do you guys have any videos with proper squat form so that I could get to the higher numbers with good form? And also, how much weight do you think I should do next week to practice my form. Thanks.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I "was" getting tired... 40 Nunc's Avatar
    Do a search for SenseiRx... plenty of info with him
    "There are no shortcuts. The fact that a shortcut is important to you means that you are a pussy. Let me be clear here: if you'd rather take steroids than do your squats heavy and drink enough milk, then you are a ****ing Pussy. I have no time or patience for ****ing Pussies. Please tell everyone you know that I said this." Mark Rippetoe

Wannabebig Member
    He's a member on this site?

Wannabebig Member
    The guy also said that I shouldn't have my knees in front of my chest while squatting, that's a correct tip, right?

Yes... but take a look on YouTube. He has plenty of videos regarding squat form, bench form, etc. Good stuff.
    "There are no shortcuts. The fact that a shortcut is important to you means that you are a pussy. Let me be clear here: if you'd rather take steroids than do your squats heavy and drink enough milk, then you are a ****ing Pussy. I have no time or patience for ****ing Pussies. Please tell everyone you know that I said this." Mark Rippetoe

if you're leaning over so far that your chest is sticking out past your knees thats all wrong. and its going to screw somethign up. idk but that seems a bit off..
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...s/BBSquat.html

just keep the chest out and up, back straight and go down.
    Green Tea
    17ys -175lbs
    Squat: 300
    Bench: 200
    Deadlift: 360
    Clean: 235

Wannabebig Member
    I think a big problem for me is not staying flat footed. But he also said that I'm going to get knee problems if I continue to "lean forward putting pressure on my knees". He told me that my knees shouldn't go out that much, and when I do it in front of a mirror, it looks like my knees go way past my chest. What should I do to correct this?

Look in the powerlifting stickies and all of SenseiRx vids are attached...

I had a similar problem when I started squatting. I was told to point my toes up when I was coming out of the hole. It really seemed to help get me to push with my heals...

Wannabebig Member
    I just did a few reps of dumbell squats with 30 pounds on each shoulder. It seemed pretty tough keeping good form, but is it harder with dumbells than regular squats with a bar? That's what it seemed like, because if it's anywhere as hard with the regular bar, I'd have to start all over again, and all my previous squatting work will have gone to waste.

You will get better advice if you post a video of your squat.

Wannabebig Member
    I don't have a an actual squatting station, so I'll have to wait until I get back to the gym to tape my form. But do you find it harder to squat with dumbells than the actual bar?

Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

For the last time, squatting with the knees over the toes is NOT dangerous!
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    For the last time, squatting with the knees over the toes is NOT dangerous!
    Fuzz you must know that most people who squat with their knees out over their toes aren't squatting on their heels... You are correct to say that there is nothing wrong with letting your knees come forward (provided they track in line with your toes) but most beginners tend to squat on their toes and it's more of a knee bend than a squat.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Cross trainer & DL addict mikesbytes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deeder View Post
    Fuzz you must know that most people who squat with their knees out over their toes aren't squatting on their heels... You are correct to say that there is nothing wrong with letting your knees come forward (provided they track in line with your toes) but most beginners tend to squat on their toes and it's more of a knee bend than a squat.
    So another myth busted, its not about the knees but about the feet. Thanks deeder.

Quote Originally Posted by deeder View Post
    Ok... so why do people still harp on about the knees? Talk about the feet.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Like I said in this thread not to long ago (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=117085) cues will only get you so far - if you tell a novice to spread the load across the hips and hamstrings, you're going to get a "huh?!?" look. On the other hand, telling them something clear and concrete like "sit back" or "outwardly rotate the hips"/"drive the knees out" or "drive from the heels", you'll probably get them to engage the hips and hamstrings more. The problem is that people confuse cues with proper technique. The cues AREN'T proper technique, but exaggeration to bring technique to something closer to proper technique.

I cue to keep the weight centered or on the heels pretty frequently btw...
    Last edited by Sensei; 10-27-2008 at 05:35 AM.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Ok... so why do people still harp on about the knees? Talk about the feet.
    I dunno man... Cuz peeps be hatin' on the oly sqwat yo.

Actually, I think it's just more ignorance than anything. It's like sensei says below, people take the cues as the proper form instead of just using them like they should..

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Like I said in this thread not to long ago (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=117085) cues will only get you so far - if you tell a novice to spread the load across the hips and hamstrings, you're going to get a "huh?!?" look. On the other hand, telling them something clear and concrete like "sit back" or "outwardly rotate the hips"/"drive the knees out" or "drive from the heels", you'll probably get them to engage the hips and hamstrings more. The problem is that people confuse cues with proper technique. The cues AREN'T proper technique, but exaggeration to bring technique to something closer to proper technique.

I cue to keep the weight centered or on the heels pretty frequently btw...
    "BACK,BACK, BACK, BACK, BACK, BACK, BACK, BACK!!!! UP!!!! HIPS, HIPS!!! DRIVE THE HIPS THROUGH!"

I love 'cues' hahaha
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)