Thread: Center Chest Pain-Breast Bone/Septum

Center Chest Pain-Breast Bone/Septum

Hey,
    Has anyone here experienced this before? It's somewhere between sharp and dull and right in the center of my chest about 2 inches up from where the rib cage starts which would be the septum or breast bone I believe. I can feel it more when I press on the spot. Im not sure how it started but it started when I was still lifting, before I had to take a 4 week break to do a patio which wore me out each day so i didnt work out. Then another 3 weeks letting my chest heal. But during the time not lifting it has gotten worse. I worked out again today and only dips make it actually hurt. Every other movement either doesnt bother it or makes a slight ache. I also have it randomly hurt for no reason sometimes, not doing anything, which is odd to me. Any ideas?

you basically answered your own question...
    stop doing dips.
    do you do them weighted?

edit: go see a doctor as well, he will likely tell you to stop lifting in which case you tell him to go jump off a bridge.
    Last edited by Corey170; 10-26-2008 at 08:49 PM.

No dips? That would annoy the hell out of me, to not do one of the lifts I want to do because something is wrong with me. I'd have to get it "fixed" somehow. Weather it was not lifting for a couple months or whatever. Im way to stuborn to simply not do those because they hurt. I dont do them weighted.

I had a similar pain a while ago that happened whilst benching. I was told it was most likely a tweaked ligament.
    I actually felt a 'click' in my chest at the time when it happened but it was more painful later on when as you say, just seemed to randomly catch. It healed pretty quick after a week or so off lifting though for me.

Are you dipping with a wide grip and forward lean?
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

The grip should be good cause I have dip bars on the rack but I may be leaning forward, not sure on that one.

I had the same thing. It is cartilage in your chest. Your doctor will give you an anti inflammatory and tell you to stop doing upper body work outs for a few weeks. Mine got so bad I had to be helped out of bed. I hurt mine doing barbell bench and then played football and hurt it allot more.

Quote Originally Posted by motor head View Post
    The grip should be good cause I have dip bars on the rack but I may be leaning forward, not sure on that one.
    Leaning is fine, it just puts the focus on your chest more.
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

thanks, guess I better make that DR. appointment

I had the same issue occur after my first set of weighted dips. The pain sorta spread from the collar bone area to chest area. The doc said I may have torn some cartilage and I needed to let it rest...its been ok ever since, although I dont do dips regularly any more...and have not tried weighted dips at all.

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    I used to get a sharp pain in my sternum from doing dips. Just take a break from the dips and work on stretching your chest when it's warm. My sternum actually cracks sometimes if I lean back and spread my chest out. Weird.

Banned
    I get this with weighted dips sometimes too. It used to feel like my ribcage was going to beak.

This is a recurring issue with me - when I was a teenager, sometimes that point would just crack (loudly!) when I sat up or stretched in a certain way, this would be accompanied with a slight sharp pain, but used to freak out whoever was near enough to me to hear it. I went to the doctor then and was told it was a cartilage issue from growing too quickly - I'm 6'4, have big lungs and developed minor joint issues at the time, which all went away when my body caught up with itself. Its got better as I've moved into the 20's but it still hurts when dipping sometimes.

I don't use much weight on dips anymore and tend to just bench heavy then do higher reps on dips. I figure if I'm careful with the dips, the bone and cartilage should gradually get stronger and it will never be an issue again. As long as I don't **** it up.

I'd say go see a doctor, cut out the dips, then build them in again gradually to help strengthen the area.

thanks, thats probably the best bet. The only wierd thing is how I had this issue during my 2 months off just as much as I do after dips. Its probably because I still work everyday. If it persists or worsens I may want to take a week off possibly, of work as well as lifting I mean.
    Last edited by motor head; 10-27-2008 at 04:56 PM.