Thread: BENCHing Pressing!

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

BENCHing Pressing!

I am just wondering, is it easiest to bench press on the olympic style bench press, with the 45 lbs bar. I have used a friends bench press, and i also have one at home but they are not olympic and i find it really difficult to load up alot of weihgt on them. But when i go to the gym, i use the olympic bench, and i can do soo much more weight. like about 30 lbs more. So iam confused, wonderin if anyone else done this.

Your post is confusing. What kind of bar does your friend have? Is it shorter?
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

counterintuitive. when you say more weight do you mean more weight ON TOP of the weight of the bar, or TOTAL weight including the bar?
    usually oly bars weigh more than "home gym" bars.

I know exactly what you mean. I used to own a bench with a bar that was not an OLY bar, was some sort of chrome bar which i'm guessing weighed around 25 pounds, but it was so much harder to bench with.

EDIT: Something like this right?
    Last edited by Shouji; 10-27-2008 at 09:47 AM.
    8:45 Heaven

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shouji View Post
    I know exactly what you mean. I used to own a bench with a bar that was not an OLY bar, was some sort of chrome bar which i'm guessing weighed around 25 pounds, but it was so much harder to bench with.

EDIT: Something like this right?
    Yeah, this is the bar that i have. I hate using it because 180lbs feels hard on it, While on the olympic bar i can do 205 pretty easily. I was thinking the actual bench i lay down on might hav sumthing to do wit it, because mine is really uncomfortable, and has no cushion. Just like lying on a floor, but iduno.

yeaaa guys I have the bar SHouji just showed... Its soo much harder to bench with, why is this anyone know? i
    Lifting is my life

I am 15
    @ 155 lbs

Wannabebig Member
    While I don't know for certain my guess would be since the bar seems much thinner that your grip is slightly different on the home bar than the oly bar. Might not seem like much but small variations can make big differences.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    While I don't know for certain my guess would be since the bar seems much thinner that your grip is slightly different on the home bar than the oly bar. Might not seem like much but small variations can make big differences.
    I have a bar like that at home ( I don't usually bench with it, but I have ). The bar is thinner so the weight is focused more on a single point on the hand, thicker bars spread the weight out over the entire hand. For me, it is harder to go heavy with the thin bar.
    Last edited by BigTallOx; 10-31-2008 at 10:17 AM.

small flabby and hairy joelhall's Avatar
    if the bars thinner it could be that more pressure is placed on the hands or wrists. could also be that theres no 'give' without rotating ends, or psychological.

Wannabebig Member
    ya i would just use the 45 lbs bar

i used to have a bar like that at home before i sold my weights because they were to light lol. I could bench fine with it!! it just takes time getting used to using new bars etc, when i started using the oly bar i found it a bit awkward due to it being thicker and heavier but now i am able to bench fine with it.