The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Please give feedback on squat

I've been squatting for about a month. Right now I feel fairly confident that my form is good. Please take a look at these videos and let me know. I noticed that I am not going down as far as I should. Other than that I feel my form is decent.

Video

Video

Video
    Last edited by hellagrant; 10-29-2008 at 12:30 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

FOr whatever reason, your squats at 225 were the best, you could probably go a little bit lower on the other ones... Your form looks pretty good though.
    5'8" 177 (meet PRs) ALL RAW

Bench - 290 (291) Pause reps Dead - 500 (479.5) Squat - 446 (430)

Total - 1236 (1168.4)

Goals: Bench - 280 met 1/19/09 new goal - 300 Squat - 435 met 11/28/09 new goal 475 Dead - 500 met 1/23/10 new goal 525

The Quest

You look like you're coming up on your toes. Sit back further and really push your knees out to the side. You're also a little bit high, especially on the 245.

I'd also try to get a little bit tighter before you unrack the weight. Take a deep breath and hold it.

I would try to get down much further, but you already noticed that. You also need to start the movement at the hips, not the knees. Sit back on your heels more like jorge noted and you should be good.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

Deeper for sure. Just about all of your squats were too high. Sit back more as well. All ya need is some more flexibility and your money.

Several things.

If you look at your standing position, your upper body is too far forward, stretch your hip flexors and stay more upright.

I don't think you were going on your toes at all.

I assume you are squatting for all round strength and muscular development, if so I advise you continue to squat as you are with more depth. The rest are advising you to sit back more... I disagree, you are breaking evenly with the hips and the knees. If you are not a competitive powerlifter I see no need for you to sit back and not allow the knees to move forward. Squat up, squat down.

If however you wish to only squat to parallel for power lifting... that's a different story.

It will help you immensely to invest in some heeled Olympic weightlifting shoes, they will make your depth far easier and allow you maintain a much more tight upright position.

Also, use a high bar position, it would be easier for this style of squatting.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Several things.

If you look at your standing position, your upper body is too far forward, stretch your hip flexors and stay more upright.

I don't think you were going on your toes at all.

I assume you are squatting for all round strength and muscular development, if so I advise you continue to squat as you are with more depth. The rest are advising you to sit back more... I disagree, you are breaking evenly with the hips and the knees. If you are not a competitive powerlifter I see no need for you to sit back and not allow the knees to move forward. Squat up, squat down.

If however you wish to only squat to parallel for power lifting... that's a different story.

It will help you immensely to invest in some heeled Olympic weightlifting shoes, they will make your depth far easier and allow you maintain a much more tight upright position.

Also, use a high bar position, it would be easier for this style of squatting.
    Listen to this...

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your feedbacks.

Right now I will focus on dropping my butt lower to the floor. I probably won't increase the weight, in fact I might need to drop the weights in order to hit the floor, we will see. On the subject of sitting back more on my heels, since their are mix responses, I am going to continue to do what I am doing now. It may look like I am using my toes from the video, but I really don't feel that I am.

Quote Originally Posted by hellagrant View Post
    I've been squatting for about a month. Right now I feel fairly confident that my form is good. Please take a look at these videos and let me know. I noticed that I am not going down as far as I should. Other than that I feel my form is decent.
    I am not into powerlifting at all, but from a bodybuilding perspective your squats are right on point. You might want to drop a little lower and less bounce at the bottom, but other than that, your form is tight.

But again this is from a bodybuilding perspective...
    Last edited by Daone; 10-30-2008 at 04:00 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Daone View Post
    I am not into powerlifting at all, but from a bodybuilding perspective your squats are right on point. You might want to drop a little lower and less bounce at the bottom, but other than that, your form is tight.

??? Even from a BB perspective, wouldn't you want a fuller range of motion?

Quote Originally Posted by Daone View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
    ??? Even from a BB perspective, wouldn't you want a fuller range of motion?
    I think Daone was stating that the over all style was correct, but that the depth was lacking. I agree, the OP breaks evenly with the hips and the knees and looks like he is in a good position for a full squat, but obviously the depth was lacking.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    I think Daone was stating that the over all style was correct, but that the depth was lacking. I agree, the OP breaks evenly with the hips and the knees and looks like he is in a good position for a full squat, but obviously the depth was lacking.
    Exactly, his form is tight just needs more depth and also no bounce he seemed to bounce somewhat and I believe there should be a slight pause at the bottom and then explode up from the pocket.