The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Banned

OK, last week wasn't a fluke, another bench PR today

Wooo Hooo! It's official, I'm starting to "get" benching. The 315 PR last week wasn't a fluke, today I benched 320. I'm very very happy right now.
    Last edited by BigTallOx; 11-02-2008 at 04:56 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Great stuff man! Now change the ME exercise while your ahead LOL. Keep hitting those PRs

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Great stuff man! Now change the ME exercise while your ahead LOL. Keep hitting those PRs
    Yeah, I will. But today I *HAD* to bench because I wanted to make sure I remembered what I was doing last week. But, yes, that is good advice, I'll change it next week. What do you suggest?

Give floor presses a go.
    Best lifts

Bench Raw 560 Equipped 725 single ply
    Deadlift 750

^2nd

Congrats man!

But...so hard to switch up your ME exercise when youre winning....
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
    But...so hard to switch up your ME exercise when youre winning....
    No kidding! Nice to know that others understand.

But I definitely don't want anything stopping my progress with benching. Bench PR's previously were a long time coming for me. I still can't believe I'm making solid progress on my bench, after years of making no progress at all, and thinking that I couldn't because I'm really tall. No excuses anymore, it doesn't get you anywhere. I know I have a long way to go, but I can't express how happy I am about benching right now. It's very very cool.

Next week I'll change it up. One of my lifting buddies suggested it today, and gave me a hard time for not doing it, but I just couldn't bring myself to not bench today. And it sure felt good.

Well actually its not what you did this week and last week that made the PRs possible, its what you've been doing leading up til now.

I agree, floor presses are a great ME exercise, but what else have you been doing for ME upper work til now?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Well actually its not what you did this week and last week that made the PRs possible, its what you've been doing leading up til now.

I agree, floor presses are a great ME exercise, but what else have you been doing for ME upper work til now?
    Well, up to now I haven't changed it up very often. On ME days ( and DE days for that matter ) been working a lot on form ( arching, tucking, leg drive, etc ), and I didn't feel like it all came together until last week. And thus, even though I know this probably isn't optimal, most of my ME bench work has been flat bench ( with various accessory work that I do change up every week), sometimes with chains but only lately, a couple times floor presses, once in my bench shirt ( but I'm thinking I'm not ready for that yet, ie I need to build base strength ). But, with that said, I have been making some progress with flat bench throughout this time, even without changing it up very often. But it wasn't until last week that I felt like everything came together and I was able to make it over a huge plateau, both in weight and my technique/form. I know this means its time to switch it up, but I'm not really sure what to do instead. I have access to chains, bands, boards, ... and I'm very open to suggestions on how to continue my progress.
    Last edited by BigTallOx; 11-01-2008 at 10:09 PM.

Good work man. 405 is coming
    "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends"

John 15:13 KJB

"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men. Do not pray for tasks equal to your powers. Pray for powers equal to your tasks"

Philips Brooks

ah I see. Well in that case its time to start doing boards, bands and chains. I wouldn't go much higher than a 2brd though for working on your raw strength. Do chains for one week, work up to a max with whatever grip, then do bands the next week, work up to a single with whatever grip etc. Use your imagination

awesome. congrats!
    (SQ) 550 (BP) 425 (DL) 550
    5'9" 195lbs.

2014 Goals: 365 raw bench; Triple bodyweight deadlift; 1500 meet total @ 198

YouTube -- http://www.youtube.com/user/CarlDonatiJr?feature=mhee
    Journal -- http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...-Get-Stronger!

Congrats!
    - Slave & Master At The Same Damn Time -
    Hoping To Compete Natty Early 2011