The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Lower back work

Lower back work

Hey, I'm sort of having a problem with my lower back. Ever since my deadlift 5RM hit 375 lbs., I've been getting this lower back pain in the left side of my back. The pain may also be due to my squatting 3 times a week going TOO deep (the point where your lower back rounds a little bit at the bottom of the hole).

It's not an unbearable pain since I'm in pretty good shape from hard training for a few years now, but I can tell it's more then just basic soreness. It's a "tightness" of some sort that makes it more difficult to bend over to touch the ground.

Now, I'm wondering if maybe this is a sign that either a.) I need to start doing some direct low-back assistance work, or b.) I need to start doing some direct hamstring work. I have a feeling that GM's, RDL's, SLDL's, or hypers may greatly help me to strengthen the weak link.

I'm wondering if any of you have any experience with something similar to this. Thanks.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

stretch ur hamstrings
    Do what needs to be done.

Every time I was in the hole I swear a turd kissed my underwear. - Hatred
    I love snatch. I think I'm addicted to it. - Stray
    I like a woman I can climb - Jinkies
    Personally ... I'm a vagitarian - Brawl
    I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher

That's it???

u say it feels difficult to bend over and touch the ground. You say ur lower back feels tight. A lot of lower back pain is because hamstrings are too tight. Foam roll ur hamstrings, glutes and lower back and stretch them all out well, and see how you feel in a couple of weeks.

Andrew

ps. another reason ur hips could be dipping when ur squatting is because of the tight hamstrings as well.
    Do what needs to be done.

Every time I was in the hole I swear a turd kissed my underwear. - Hatred
    I love snatch. I think I'm addicted to it. - Stray
    I like a woman I can climb - Jinkies
    Personally ... I'm a vagitarian - Brawl
    I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher

I use to get the same thing. I started stretching on a regular basis and no longer have this problem. I've also head stretching helps with recovery....doms on the other hand is another story.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Thanks fellas, I will start stretching and see how I feel.

I used to have similar back pain and tightness, even sciatica-like pain shooting down my leg. What I did after a period of rest was to really push up my low back and hamstring assistance exercises like 45-degree back raises, reverse hypers, GM's, etc. The pain and stiffness is almost completely gone and my DL and squat has gone up.

And like everyone else said, foam rolling is great too.
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    Hey, I'm sort of having a problem with my lower back. Ever since my deadlift 5RM hit 375 lbs., I've been getting this lower back pain in the left side of my back. The pain may also be due to my squatting 3 times a week going TOO deep (the point where your lower back rounds a little bit at the bottom of the hole).
    You have overtrained your lower back. You need to rest it.

Kenny Croxdale
    Last edited by Kenny Croxdale; 10-30-2008 at 08:21 AM.

You don't overtrain bodyparts. But thank you for the suggestion.

I'm having the same problems right now on the left side. but its odd that I feel it most when I do leg presses. but I always stretch for a good 10 minutes before I hit my warm up sets so I should probably stretch longer. same advice to you I guess.
    MAX BENCH:275lbs. (11/2008)
    MAX SQUAT machine:420lbs. (4/2005)
    MAX SQUAT free weight: 385lbsx2. (1/2009)
    MAX DEAD LIFT hex bar: 465lbs. (1/2006)
    MAX DEAD LIFT straight bar: 455. (10/2009)
    total: 1115
    CURRENT WEIGHT:240. (10/2009)
    HEIGHT: 6'2

The best way to get big is to eat big, lift big and LIVE BIG.

Banned
    You don't overtrain bodyparts. But thank you for the suggestion.
    He's right. The low back is very easy to overtrain. Especially if you're squatting 3 days per week.

To me, you answered the question. You squat too much with a rounded low back in the hole and you don't do very much light low back training. On top of that, you pull. This is a ton of work on a very small muscle group.

So, yes. Your low back is probably ovewrtrained.

Oh I see. I always thought that that was the big misconception about this was that "overtraining" is not something that happens to bodyparts, rather on your CNS, but you know your s***, so I will take your word for it.

I'm due for a training switch change soon though. I've pretty much gotten all I can out of Rippetoe's SS program, and the workload is really starting to kick my a**, and I'm not recovering enough before the next workout each time.

Banned
    Oh I see. I always thought that that was the big misconception about this was that "overtraining" is not something that happens to bodyparts, rather on your CNS, but you know your s***, so I will take your word for it.
    You're just arguing semantics. Substitute "fatigue" for "overtraining" if that sits better with you. Your lower back may just be too fatigued, underrecovered if you will. I like the phrase, "There is no overtraining, just underrecovered."

There are lots of suggestions in this thread, and they might help, but honestly, it would be near impossible to give you a correct diagnosis over the internet with just a vague reference to "lower back pain." It could be a large number of things. Inactive multifidus. Tight hip flexors or hamstrings. Trigger point somewhere. Stretching and foam rolling may or may not help. You might save time by visiting a good chiro/sports phys therapist.

Oh, and eat more.
    Last edited by Brad08; 10-30-2008 at 09:15 AM.

Nah, I hear ya man. I wasn't trying to argue. The thought of actually fatiguing a muscle didn't even occur to me honestly. I just thought that I was in need of some low back assistance work because it was a weak link, but I am taking all the suggestions seriously. I'm going to start stretching my hamstrings. I'm going to add in some light lower back work. I'm switching up my program so I will have more recovery time, and I won't be heavy squatting 3 times a week anymore and heavy pulling twice a week every other week (the A/B split from SS, ya know?).

I was on the novice SS routine for a long time now, and I'm not a novice anymore, so I have to make some changes.