Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When is a good time to stop

When is a good time to stop

I need to take two weeks were I fast and do not meet my calorie marker meaning I will not be lifting during this time. I have been doing starting strength for three weeks, how much longer should I go on before taking this break.

Quote Originally Posted by Whuditdew View Post
    I need to take two weeks were I fast and do not meet my calorie marker meaning I will not be lifting during this time. I have been doing starting strength for three weeks, how much longer should I go on before taking this break.
    You mean a cutting phase?
    'Wir wollen frei sein, wie die Všter waren, eher den Tod, als in der Knechtschaft leben."
    "We shall be free, just as our fathers were, and rather die, than live in slavery."

So why won't you be lifting? I don't get it?
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Currently Obsessed with Sq
    Quote Originally Posted by deeder View Post
    So why won't you be lifting? I don't get it?
    he's fasting for religious reasons probably so he doesn't feel he will get the right nutrition to lift during the fornight.
    Stats: Bodyweight : Current= 150 lbs, Height = 5ft11.5

Bench Press:160 lbs/Squat:225 lbs,/Deadlift:305/Total:675lbs/

Not strong yet, but getting there.

Journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=116786

small flabby and hairy joelhall's Avatar
    i dont understand what youre asking???surely train as normal til you fast. will you only be fasting during daylight?

I am asking if it is better to get farther into starting strength before I start fasting (like 5 weeks in) or does it not matter if I just stop and start fasting now?

now im confused... if this is religious can you choose when you fast?

why exactly will you be fasting?

Sounds like a body cleanse to me. Not sure - WTF???

When you post a question, please try to anticipate the followup questions and include that info in your post. In other words, learn to write!!

Oh yeah, EAT MORE.

even if you fast... who cares? unless you fast 24/7.. i am sure theres a few hrs you can load up on food. load up on high calorie dense food.
    Lifting is my life

I am 15
    @ 155 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by kjd2121 View Post
    Sounds like a body cleanse to me. Not sure - WTF???
    2 weeks starvation?

seriously though i wonder if you really need to ask half these things. for the love of god its just lifting & eating, thats all there is to it. until youve gained 40lbs dont worry about the nitty-gritty details. youll just end up confused & pissed off. if youre not gonna eat for 2 weeks then dont train.

problem solved.

Whuditdew - I don't think it will really matter, too much. Problems with fasting, you could get light-headed, while not even lifting. I don't know how safe that would be. Frankly, if you can do it whenever you'd like, just bite the bullet and get it over with. Once your 2 weeks are up, just start SS over again and get back to it.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Wannabebig Member
    Hmmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by rbtrout View Post
    Whuditdew - I don't think it will really matter, too much. Problems with fasting, you could get light-headed, while not even lifting. I don't know how safe that would be. Frankly, if you can do it whenever you'd like, just bite the bullet and get it over with. Once your 2 weeks are up, just start SS over again and get back to it.
    Thank you for the response.

My question was not that difficult, you guys don't have to freak out because I don't tell you why I am fasting (which is irrelevant anyways).

My question was not that difficult, you guys don't have to freak out because I don't tell you why I am fasting (which is irrelevant anyways).
    The problem is you did not specify what the fast entails. We don't really care why you're fasting.

I "was" getting tired... 40 Nunc's Avatar

Damn you're obnoxious...
    "There are no shortcuts. The fact that a shortcut is important to you means that you are a pussy. Let me be clear here: if you'd rather take steroids than do your squats heavy and drink enough milk, then you are a ****ing Pussy. I have no time or patience for ****ing Pussies. Please tell everyone you know that I said this." Mark Rippetoe

I wouldn't suggest lifting during your fast, especially once you're 2-3 days into it.

Just take a break from lifting and get back at it once your fast is over. It will be just fine.
    20 years old
    6' 1"
    Current Weight:175 (10/28/08)
    Clean Bulk

Quote Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
    The problem is you did not specify what the fast entails. We don't really care why you're fasting.
    Once again this is irrelevant. I will not be lifting when I am doing this fast. Period.

Banned
    Whutitdo - this post was a waste of everyone's time who posted back trying to help you out. If you're gonna be a douche, don't post. These guys tried to understand what you were asking and what your fast entailed so they could give you their best opinions on what to do, and you were a douche. You ask for free advice and then respond with a piss poor attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    Whutitdo - this post was a waste of everyone's time who posted back trying to help you out. If you're gonna be a douche, don't post. These guys tried to understand what you were asking and what your fast entailed so they could give you their best opinions on what to do, and you were a douche. You ask for free advice and then respond with a piss poor attitude.
    My thoughts exactly!
    "There are no shortcuts. The fact that a shortcut is important to you means that you are a pussy. Let me be clear here: if you'd rather take steroids than do your squats heavy and drink enough milk, then you are a ****ing Pussy. I have no time or patience for ****ing Pussies. Please tell everyone you know that I said this." Mark Rippetoe

Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    What my fast "entails" has nothing to do with my question and therefore I am not going to explain. I'm sorry if I dislike people being rude (requesting personal information) and disregarding my question.

There is nothing personal about what the fast entailed. No one asked WHY you were doing it. But to answer your question (which was very poorly worded in the first place) you have to give more information.

Are you fasting 24 hours per day? During the day only? Can you hydrate with anything other than water? Will you be taking any supplements instead?

Things like that.
    5'8" 177 (meet PRs) ALL RAW

Bench - 290 (291) Pause reps Dead - 500 (479.5) Squat - 446 (430)

Total - 1236 (1168.4)

Goals: Bench - 280 met 1/19/09 new goal - 300 Squat - 435 met 11/28/09 new goal 475 Dead - 500 met 1/23/10 new goal 525

The Quest

Quote Originally Posted by Painzer View Post
    There is nothing personal about what the fast entailed. No one asked WHY you were doing it. But to answer your question (which was very poorly worded in the first place) you have to give more information.

Are you fasting 24 hours per day? During the day only? Can you hydrate with anything other than water? Will you be taking any supplements instead?

Things like that.
    If you are uneducated a true fast only includes water. If I was going to allow anything else I would have been more specific.

Currently Obsessed with Sq
    If you are uneducated a true fast only includes water. If I was going to allow anything else I would have been more specific.
    ummm ... no. Muslims actually eat when the sun is down when they fast.
    Stats: Bodyweight : Current= 150 lbs, Height = 5ft11.5

Bench Press:160 lbs/Squat:225 lbs,/Deadlift:305/Total:675lbs/

Not strong yet, but getting there.

Journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=116786

Whuditdew - you're obnoxious and don't deserve the advice of the good people on this forum that offer you the knowledge you request. You insult someone every time you post a respose in EVERY thread you've posted. Honestly, I'm surprised you haven't been banned due to your lack of respect for the other members here...

Wait... So you're going to take 2 weeks where you drink only water and don't eat anything at all? There's a word for that... and it's not 'fasting'.

I'll give you a hint, it starts with 'a' and ends with 'norexia'.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)