Thread: Wraps and Sleeves

Hybrid View

Wraps and Sleeves

What is the difference between knee wraps and sleeves? i tore my ALC ligament in high school, I had surgery on it but now that im getting into the heaver weight I would like to support my knees what would be better to get for my situation?

Andre -

Wraps are generally used for very heavy lifting where people are looking for a tight support that will also boost their numbers by a few points due to the recoil of the elastic wraps. They have to be taken on and off between each lift and would only be used for a couple of sets per workout.

Sleeves are worn for the entire training and their purpose is to provide heat that will keep your joints warm and more flexible, and also some support to help stabilize. Sleeves are great for strongman, bodybuilding, and powerlifting when not going for max effort weights.

It sounds like you are training recreationally and looking for something to help prevent future injury; in that case I would suggest a good heavy knee sleeve that will give you some support and keep your joints feeling good.

I use TK and APT sleeves, both of which can be found here:

http://www.prowriststraps.com/knee_s...ce_knee_sleeve
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Thanks a lot for the info and link I was looking at Inzer sleeves but these ones look more in my price range. I'm thinking of doing a meet this winter and wanted to get something to support me so i can up my weight thanks again bud.

Wannabebig New Member
    [QUOTE=Tom Mutaffis;2029084]Andre -

Wraps are generally used for very heavy lifting where people are looking for a tight support that will also boost their numbers by a few points due to the recoil of the elastic wraps. They have to be taken on and off between each lift and would only be used for a couple of sets per workout.

Sleeves are worn for the entire training and their purpose is to provide heat that will keep your joints warm and more flexible, and also some support to help stabilize. Sleeves are great for strongman, bodybuilding, and powerlifting when not going for max effort weights.

It sounds like you are training recreationally and looking for something to help prevent future injury; in that case I would suggest a good heavy knee sleeve that will give you some support and keep your joints feeling good.

Do you wear the sleeves and wraps when going heavy? I'm 49 and have modest knee issues. I've had to adjust my training over the years (back issues too, from sports, lifting and an SOB who rear-ended me at a red light) but still push to failure on whatever I'm doing. The knees have arthritis, bursitis and varying degrees of pain. I've got the APT original sleeves (thinnest ones, others weren't out yet). When warmups are done, I'll add the wraps. Just bought TK sleeves from APT. I like the idea of them and the heat they give the knees. Plus the APT keep sliding down. Haven't gotten to leg day yet. Seems they might be somewhat bulky with wraps. Are they? Would I be better off thick APT's or are TK's the way to go?
    Any opinions/advice is greatly appreciated.
    Sd
    Last edited by SD1959; 11-29-2008 at 10:10 AM.

No problem, you will be pleased with either knee sleeve that you go with - your knees will feel much more comfortable especially working up to heavier weights.

For a powerlifting meet you may want to try some knee wraps but make sure that you have a veteran show you how to put them on otherwise they are useless.

APT has some of the best customer service in the industry and they always run specials!

Here is a discount code that you can use:

Use the code "PLWATCH" for 15% off any size order & a FREE set of 12 Wrist Wraps.
    Last edited by Tom Mutaffis; 11-03-2008 at 10:17 AM.

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Wow thanks a lot bud!!! I plan on trying my first meet this Jan. You think when I dod meet wraps will be better to use than sleeve?

Quote Originally Posted by Andre518 View Post
    Wow thanks a lot bud!!! I plan on trying my first meet this Jan. You think when I dod meet wraps will be better to use than sleeve?
    Wraps will give you more carryover to increased poundages on your squat, but most federations allow the sleeves as well.

I would just go with a good heavy duty sleeve so that this way it can help you everyday in training and not just one day for your first powerlifting meet. If you decide that powerlifting is something that you want to stick with then down the road you can invest in the additional equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Wraps will give you more carryover to increased poundages on your squat, but most federations allow the sleeves as well.

I would just go with a good heavy duty sleeve so that this way it can help you everyday in training and not just one day for your first powerlifting meet. If you decide that powerlifting is something that you want to stick with then down the road you can invest in the additional equipment.
    I would second everything Tom says. Plus, I found that wraps changes my stance and form enough that if I didn't train with them to get used to it, I would be in trouble come the meet. Knee sleeves feel very natural, but they provide enough support so that your knees don't start to ache.

dunno how you feel about supplements, but you Might also look into glucosamine for your knee joint if you have the money. Might help some over a long period of time.
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

^^^^Yeah Im on was on Animal Flex for a while worked really good but ran into money shortage. I will get some more when funds are better.