The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Lucas

Old(er) Dog learns new trick

I’m 37 and have been working out on and off for over 20 years. As some may recall from my previous posts, over the last year I have been doing my squats on a Smith Machine because I have what’s called “Hip Dysplasia” which severely limits my flexibility, balance, etc.

However, over the last few months, I have been reading and watching many videos (thanks, Sensei) about proper squatting and stretching exercises and practicing them. About 2 weeks ago, when doing my squats, I “accidentally” dropped well below parallel and went just about ATF. Granted, had I not been on the Smith I would have toppled over but the important thing was I was able to actually stretch that much.

This got me thinking that perhaps I might be able to keep improving my flexibility even more. So, I’ve been stretching every day for 10-20 minutes and low and behold I was able to do a proper body weight squat today for the first time in many, many years! I did a set of 3 and then managed to eek out 7 more singles throughout my workout today. Needless to say I was very pleased and wish to thank several of you (Jorge Sanchez, rbtrout, zen monkey, sensei, big tall ox and others) who have encouraged me directly or simply had posts that contained some insight.

My new goal over the next few weeks will simply be to build up to several sets of 5 or 10 body weight squats so I can build some strength and flexibility.

On a side note, I also started to improve on my DL and have started to do some Standing overhead presses. I’m keeping the weight down on these just working on proper form. Usually doing a 5x5 type routine. I also altered my workouts so that instead of doing 1 or 2 workouts a week doing H.I.T. type routines going to failure each set, I instead go 4 days a week doing a M-Th Lower Body and Tues-Fri Upper body split with about 50 to 70% max weight. I think my body just needed a break from the high intensity and I’m feeling more energetic as of late.

As for squats, my goal is to hopefully be doing the 45-lb bar before year’s end. I just can't believe I did a real squat!
    For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind
    HOSEA 8:7

Natural laws have no pity
    Lazarus Long (From the author Robert Heinlein)

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Sweet!!! Good job brotha man!!! When the squat comes into place correctly is the best feeling in the world

Maybe try some bosu ball squats(ball against wall on back), or Front squats. Keep stretching!!
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 11-03-2008 at 01:24 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

good news, great work!! keep at it.

I had a dog with that diagnosis (no pun intended with the title of the topic), must be the same thing, same name anyway.
    Last edited by motor head; 11-03-2008 at 04:05 PM.

That's good news! Keep up the good work, you will get there.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Lucas
    Quote Originally Posted by motor head View Post
    good news, great work!! keep at it.

I had a dog with that diagnosis (no pun intended with the title of the topic), must be the same thing, same name anyway.
    Thanks, and actually, one of the reasons I used the title I did was because I knew dogs suffered from it as well.

On a side note, I was surprised to learn that in addition to certain exercises, giving Creatine may be helpful in dogs with muscle atrophy associated with osteoarthritis. How about that!

That's great to hear! COngrats!
    5'8" 177 (meet PRs) ALL RAW

Bench - 290 (291) Pause reps Dead - 500 (479.5) Squat - 446 (430)

Total - 1236 (1168.4)

Goals: Bench - 280 met 1/19/09 new goal - 300 Squat - 435 met 11/28/09 new goal 475 Dead - 500 met 1/23/10 new goal 525

The Quest

Lucas

Mission Accomplished!

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    Sweet!!! Good job brotha man!!! When the squat comes into place correctly is the best feeling in the world.

Maybe try some bosu ball squats(ball against wall on back), or Front squats. Keep stretching!!
    Shortly after my original post on this thread I took some time off from working out -- much longer than I expected. I started working a ton of overtime and between the Holiday and traveling and bad eating habits, I ended up taking a 6-7 week hiatus from the gym.

But starting on Jan. 5, 2009, I made it back to the gym and began with Starting Strength (which I received for Christmas).

Today was my 6th workout and I had gotten myself up to using a 25-lb dumbell for goblet squats. I had originally planned to get up to the 45- to 50-lb. dumbell and then try using a 45-lb. Olympic bar. But at the end of my workout today I decided to experiment with just holding the 45-lb bar across my shoulders and arching my back. This went well so I decided to drop down just to see how if felt -- do a half squat. This went well, so I next decided to just go for it. I managed to get just above parallel and couldn't go any lower it seemed. So I persisted and forced my body to go lower. It hurt a bit and I was sure I'd lose my balance and topple over but since I was the only one in the gym I decided to go for it. After some struggle, I made it down below parallel! However, my back lost it's arch and my heels came slightly up off the floor in the atf position. I got up with a mixture of excitement (that I actually got below parallel) and a little annoyed that my form sucked below parallel.

After a few minutes, I contemplated just hitting the showers and calling it a day. But I decided to do it again. This time, I managed to get 6 full squats with the 45-lb bar. It was very uncomfortable and I strained a lot to keep my form perfect. But I did it! I'm quite sure I succeeded on at least 4 of my 6 squats and for that I am truly pleased. Like ZenMonkey said, it really was one of the best feelings in the world.

I guess I can learn to squat after all.

The biggest problem I have because of my hip problem is getting flexible enough and warmed up enough. I had to spend about 30 minutes today just lossening my hips up before I could even get down properly (atf) doing a body weight squat.

I'm really glad I was able to do this. Next workout on Wednesday, I'll drop the dumbell goblet squats and just try to get 3 sets of 5 with the 45-lb bar and then continue up from there in subsequent workouts.

I missed this thread the first time. I'm glad to hear that you're able to squat - that's really awesome!!

Keep working on your form every time you are under the bar and you will be a squatting machine in no time. Your efforts will pay off big time.

Awesome work indeed. Spending all of this time of flexibility and form will pay off down the road... keeping form will become 2nd nature very soon.

Great work! Do you have a journal here?
    Sarvamangalam!

Lucas
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    I missed this thread the first time. I'm glad to hear that you're able to squat - that's really awesome!!

Keep working on your form every time you are under the bar and you will be a squatting machine in no time. Your efforts will pay off big time.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    Awesome work indeed. Spending all of this time of flexibility and form will pay off down the road... keeping form will become 2nd nature very soon.

Great work! Do you have a journal here? .
    Thank you, Monkeys! It's been really hard work for me. I intend to keep working hard at it. I do hope it gets easier over time -- I'm sure it will as my body adapts more to the movement.

No, I don't keep a journal here yet -- just on an Excel program on my personal computer. I was thinking about keeping it here after I get through starting strength in a few months, once I move onto another routine.

I dropped all my weights low (for me) when I started SS at the beginning of January. Right now, I'm just squatting the bar, OHP is 85 lb, Clean is 75 lb, my bench will be 215 lb on Wednesday, and my DL will be 135 lb on Wednesday. I move up 5 lbs or so every squat, 20 lbs every DL, and 10 lbs. every OHP, Bench and Power Clean. I'm not really doing any assistance exercises right now -- just stretching.

I'm sure I can get my bench to my old 5 RM at 345, and my OHP was about 200. My previous DL best was 260 for 1 so I'm sure I'll get back there at least. The Power Clean is an interesting exercise. I've never done this before so it takes some getting used to. I'll keep at it.

Say -- what gym do you go to and how much do you pay? I'm trying to find another gym to go to. I was at the Gold's in Annandale but it's too much.

Lucas
    Quote Originally Posted by fpr View Post
    Say -- what gym do you go to and how much do you pay? I'm trying to find another gym to go to. I was at the Gold's in Annandale but it's too much.
    I work out at my company's in-house gym. All it costs me is my labor -- but since I've had to work overtime since November (I'm the only one at work right now on MLK holiday), I may be paying too much, LOL!

Yes, gyms all over the DC area seem pretty expensive, relatively speaking, so I'm glad for this set up at the moment.

Best of Luck!