Thread: Once a week vs. twice?

Wannabebig Member

Once a week vs. twice?

I've been working most muscle groups twice per week for the last several months but due to time constraints, I'm thinking of dropping it to only once, something like:

Mon - chest/triceps
    Wed - back/biceps
    Fri - legs/abs

Assuming I eat the same (currently a little over maintenance,) and that I use the same weights, what will the effect be of switching to this?

Banned
    I do it twice, but combining back and chest/shoulders/tris on the same day. legs/gluts/low back gets twice a week as well.

It's hard to say how it will effect you. It could be good for you - a change up. Give it a shot and see what happens. Remember, giving it a shot is several weeks worth of the same routine, not just 1 or 2.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by raptor View Post
    Assuming I eat the same (currently a little over maintenance,) and that I use the same weights, what will the effect be of switching to this?
    It depends. Are you going to be doing the same amount of WORK that you were doing before and just cram it into one long day instead of two? IOW, you're now going to have 3 long workouts instead of 6 short ones, which doesn't seem to really save you any time....

Or are you going to cut your volume in half b/c you're doing your same workout but only doing it once a week instead of twice? This means you've cut your workload in half. What will this do to you?? You'll only know after you try it. You might explode b/c you'll have more recovery and you'll be able to lift heavier b/c you're only lifting once a week per 'bodypart.' OR it might not be enough training stimulus to generate gains, in which case you'll stall. It depends on a lot of variables, including your training experience.

Typically, a cut in workload and frequency, which is what it sounds like you're doing, will mean less stimulus, which might mean fewer gains. It depends how your body reacts.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad08 View Post
    Or are you going to cut your volume in half b/c you're doing your same workout but only doing it once a week instead of twice?
    Right, I'll be doing the exact same workout just half as many days. I'd like to think that with the longer recovery time I'll be able to lift heavier. Another factor is my age - I'm 37 so maybe the longer recovery time will be a benefit. I haven't made many gains in the last few weeks but not sure if that's due to little recovery time or not eating enough. My main concern is losing what gains I have made. Guess I'll give it a try and see what happens, I just wondered if anyone else had done this and what their results were. Thanks.