The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

The leg press isn't worthless

I don't do squats or dead lifts because I do not have perfect form and don't want to injure my back. So I just do the inclined leg press and calf raises for my lower body workout (and my quads have gotten pretty big). I'm also having pretty good gains on the leg press (along with bench and other exercises). Now some people say you can seriously hurt your back on the leg press but I think that is caused by not keeping your back flat on the backrest and going way too low (knees touching the chest).

So I guess in short, for someone who is concentrating on chest, shoulders, and arms... isn't the leg press (and calf raises) good enough for the lower body workout? I don't really care much for the squat either, it is one of my least enjoyable exercises.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Oh boy. Here we go again.

Quote Originally Posted by ColdBlue View Post
    I don't do squats or dead lifts because I do not have perfect form and don't want to injure my back. So I just do the inclined leg press and calf raises for my lower body workout (and my quads have gotten pretty big). I'm also having pretty good gains on the leg press (along with bench and other exercises). Now some people say you can seriously hurt your back on the leg press but I think that is caused by not keeping your back flat on the backrest and going way too low (knees touching the chest).

So I guess in short, for someone who is concentrating on chest, shoulders, and arms... isn't the leg press (and calf raises) good enough for the lower body workout? I don't really care much for the squat either, it is one of my least enjoyable exercises.

Dude, check out my thread, (a couple threads below this).
    Somewhat similar questions to yers.

There's some really good advice there, not to mention some ignorance on my part.
    5' 11" 155lbs. 13% BF - 10/20/2008
    Goal - 180lbs, 10% BF

11/14/08
    162lbs 11-12% BF

12/29/08
    166lbs 10% BF

Its not worthless per se. It can be used for many reasons. Generally people dont like it because it makes you move in a set way rather than natural form like a squat. There are also far superior movements to do. I would reccommend weening off the leg press with light weight squats. You can guide yourself up using something for an arm ladder. You can do bosuball against the wall squats. The important thing is you need to start squatting asap.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 10-15-2008 at 09:23 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Squats aren't just about hitting the quads and hamstrings. If you're not squatting then you are cheating your entire body out of some major gains...not just your lower body. The reason you do squats and deadlifts is because they work the entire body as a system, and when the body is worked as a system then everything grows. If you did nothing but squats your upper body would also grow.

And by the way, what is the difference between the leg press and the Smith Machine Squat?

Wanna Be Big member
    Leg press is great. All different types of athletes use it. The point is, it is only to be used in addition to squats!
    Current Age: 23 Height: 6'2" Weight: 195 lbs. [B]
    Bench = 205
    DL= 315
    Squat = 230

To answer the question directly, yes the leg press can get you good development in your legs. If you aren't a serious lifter, you can gain a decent amount of muscle neglecting squats but you will not reach your potential in either rate of gains or overall muscle development over time. You are basically half-assing it. you are also not developing any form of functional strength - you're just getting better at using the leg press machine.

Another point is that the leg press is more of a hamstring/glute dominant exercise, and there isn't a suitable addition for quads without some form of squatting.

My own personal trainer dumbbell's Avatar
    Why all da squat hatas in da house tonite?

If you like an exercise and feel it works for you mo powa to ya.
    But if you would like to step up and try something will really rock that bubble in back that the girls really like to look at (it's not arms) then learn to squat.
    It's fun.
    Don't be afraid to swallow yer pride and go ahead and just use the bar. It won't hurt ya.

Try that for like 2-4 workouts until your comfortable with the proper execution of the maneuver. It'll be light so go ahead and practice going deep. As deep as your flexibility will allow you at first. Work on that issue as well. Then add weight slowly. Keep doin that for a while.
    It's fun.

That leg press might be just fine. The one I tried at the local Y was a POS. Very uncomfortable. I'm sure both exercises are equally dangerous if done incorrectly while trying to push a heavy load. Besides I've already proven that squatting is
    FUN!
    Jason

It is currently a fad, at this writing, for boys to think they need a "six pack", although most of them don't have an ice chest to put it in.
    -Mark Rippetoe

I don't do squats or dead lifts because I do not have perfect form and don't want to injure my back.
    I literally stopped reading after this.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

Banned
    I don't do squats or dead lifts because I do not have perfect form and don't want to injure my back.
    dont be scared its what separates the men from the boys.

Banned
    I did leg press only for 14 years and got great development in my legs.Enough to place second in a few bodybuilding shows.I never squatted when I was young(besides football) because of lower back and knee problems.Basically I was afraid of injuring myself and never felt comfortable doing the movement.A few years back when I switched to powerlifting I forced myself to learn proper technique and used very low weight.I may not be the strongest squatter right now but I can tell you its far superior as far as a strength and size builder.My legs have grown bigger than I ever thought from a couple years of squatting.I would highly reccomend you give it a shot and stick with it for awhile.

I don't do squats or dead lifts because I do not have perfect form and don't want to injure my back. So I just do the inclined leg press and calf raises for my lower body workout.
    In other words, you're too lazy to learn something that'd most likely to benefit you.

Yes, it is worth learning to squat and deadlift properly. This is done by using light weights that you can handle, and very slowly making weight increases. You can definately hurt yourself by going too heavy, too fast and not knowing what you are doing, but if you "leave your ego at the door" and just work with light weights to learn, you will benefit greatly in the long run.

I "was" getting tired... 40 Nunc's Avatar
    I love some of Mark Rippetoe's quotes because they can be applied to so many of the questions that we see in these threads...

Like:

There are few things graven in stone, except that you have to squat or you're a pussy.

and:

CrossFit has the potential to change the popular cultural perception of what exercise actually means over the next decade, and I will watch with delight as selectorized leg machines are melted down into more useful items like re-bar and manhole covers.
    "There are no shortcuts. The fact that a shortcut is important to you means that you are a pussy. Let me be clear here: if you'd rather take steroids than do your squats heavy and drink enough milk, then you are a ****ing Pussy. I have no time or patience for ****ing Pussies. Please tell everyone you know that I said this." Mark Rippetoe

People who dont perfect their form before trying to pull the gym off its foundation or push the roof off it squatting are the ones who hurt themselves. Just get your form down and you will be fine. Huge gains are headed your way!
    5'10" 200lbs
    BF-15%
    Bench-305x1
    Deadlift-440x1
    Squat-will know soon

Quote Originally Posted by 40 Nunc View Post
    I love some of Mark Rippetoe's quotes because they can be applied to so many of the questions that we see in these threads...

Like:

There are few things graven in stone, except that you have to squat or you're a pussy.

LMAO. Too bad that Rippetope gets credited with that because I have said that very thing to quite a few people...
    Last edited by Lunar Effect; 10-16-2008 at 09:49 AM.

CrossFit has the potential to change the popular cultural perception of what exercise actually means over the next decade, and I will watch with delight as selectorized leg machines are melted down into more useful items like re-bar and manhole covers.
    Rip actually keeps a leg press machine in his gym. It's useful for working the old and fat up to a squat if they can't perform a bodyweight one when they start.... but that's all.

ColdBlue - as has already been said, you are only cheating yourself. Yes, you can get decent gains on quads, hammies and glutes on the leg press, but you can never get the real, full-body gains (size & strength) unless you squat and deadlift. My first thought about the leg press is that I can't get enough weight on it, so I have to squat - besides, I love doing squats. About every 3rd week, I'll finish up heavy squats with a fully loaded leg press and with feet closer together, do 2 sets of as many reps as I can, just to get a bit of extra burn on the quads.
    As far as deads go - I've got a couple of friends I used to (notice USED TO) workout with. When doing tricep extensions behind the head with the cable, none of us could do the stack without the other helping pull the bar forward (no low back strength). After doing deads for a year or so, I didn't need help pulling the bar forward to do them (now I've got lower back strength).
    When it comes to functional strength - meaning real-life, usable strength - when a friend asks you to help him move, but you can't pick up one end of a heavy sofa or other furniture, you'll wished you'd been doing squats and deads.
    There are no other exercises that match what squats and deads can do for you.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Banned

Like:

and:

I must find more of these quotes.Where are they?

Read Mark's books - SS, Practical Programming for Strength Training and Strong Enough. There's several quotes in them.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by johny12345 View Post
    Leg press is great. All different types of athletes use it. The point is, it is only to be used in addition to squats!
    agreed, I think Leg press/hip sled is a very suitable ASSISTANCE exercise. Nothing at all wrong with it, but it in NO way can replace squatting or deadlifting

What I gather from the OP's post is that he is too lazy to learn something that will not only make his legs stronger, but his entire body. HIGH FIVE!
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Read this -------------->> pipes's Avatar
    You don't have perfect form? Then correct it. That's no excuse for not doing squats.
    5'11" 220lbs.

BENCH - 330 x 1
    SQUAT - 405 x 1
    DEADLIFT - 450 x 1

"Whenever you do a thing, act as if all the world were watching." -- T.J.
    "Every success is built on the ability to do better than good enough." -- Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Detard View Post
    What I gather from the OP's post is that he is too lazy to learn something that will not only make his legs stronger, but his entire body. HIGH FIVE!
    Funny, I felt the exact same thing, although I didn't express my thoughts as clearly as you did.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Detard View Post
    HIGH FOUR!
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/st...ine&id=3642825