For the past few months I have had some nagging pain in my shoulder. I am still very new to lifting, going on 6 weeks now.
I had hoped that the weights, (along with some specialized shoulder training) would help with the issue. So far it hasn't.
I am planning on seeing a doctor just to try and figure out exactly what is going on, but in the meantime I want to keep working out.
My bench press is really the only lift that is a problem for me, I read in another thread that trying it decline may take some stress off the shoulders. I tried it for the first time today and it worked. It worked very well in fact. Virtually no pain in the shoulder during or after the set. I was even able to add some weight for the first time in 3 weeks.
Which brings me to my question.
My gym does not have a decline bench set up. The only way for me to do them is with dumbbells (which is a little awkward to set up but workable) or in the Smith Machine. Today I did them in the Smith Machine. It felt pretty good, but I know that It's not as effective as a proper barbell bench. Any thoughts?
Oh yeah, I know that somebody will bring up form. I think my bench form is pretty good. I have been using this video as my model and it feels pretty solid.
http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=vUcjOIZc80c