The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Do you think Obama's youth movement will show up tomorrow?

I voted early on Saturday at the county courthouse. It was the peak of the college football day. WVU (I'm in WV) was in the middle of its big 3rd quarter surge against UCONN, and I waited just about 20 minutes to vote.

With the game going on, and it being 3pm-ish on Saturday during football season, I was pretty surprised by the size of the line.

So..all I'm thinking is. "It's gonna be HELL at the polls Tuesday. I'm SO glad I ran over here today."

As I'm heading out, the line is double what it was when I came in.

40 minute wait?

Then, all I can think is.."There's no way in hell the college kids (Marshall University is in my city) will wait for an hour or more on Tuesday. Hell..they won't even park their cars when they see the lot at their local polls, if they make it off the couch."

So...(and I know WBB is more responsible and will ALL go vote!)...do you think Obama's heavily-polled and much depended-on youth movement will show up?

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Pray for rain. They're calling for it here in NC. I will say that I was listening to a radio station where one of the campaign managers in Florida stated that they weren't seeing near the early vote turnout they had hoped for.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

What proof do you offer of the so called youth surge that Obama is dependent on? Faux news? People of all age groups are going to vote for him, not just the youth.

In return, I offer evidence for what I say.

This article offers a comparison of the youth registered to vote in 2004 with 2008, and the likelihood of turning out to vote, according to them. From those polled, there's only a 3% increase in youth voter registration from 2004.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/111685/Up...outh-Vote.aspx

Oh, and **** your blatant bias. Just because you bold something, doesn't make it true.
    Last edited by lakeripple; 11-03-2008 at 08:20 PM.
    Goal: Set a deadlift provincial record in mens junior.

Wow. Way to jump off the ****ing deep end there.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

It's a Republic dammit! reloaded's Avatar
    The last few election cycles, the pundits said we'd have record turnouts among young people. But time and time again, young people haven't lived up to expectations. I expect this year will not be any different.
    Last edited by reloaded; 11-03-2008 at 08:31 PM.
    Too cool for school.
    My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by lakeripple View Post
    What proof do you offer of the so called youth surge that Obama is dependent on? Faux news? People of all age groups are going to vote for him, not just the youth.

This article offers a comparison of the youth registered to vote in 2004 with 2008, and the likelihood of turning out to vote, according to them. From those polled, there's only a 3% increase in youth voter registration from 2004.

Oh, and **** your blatant bias. Just because you bold something, doesn't make it true.
    little jumpy arnt we?

i think OP was eluding to the fact that most young people(students) especially college students lean liberal. This is because most profs are liberals working for liberal institutions. Not that theres anything wrong with that
    Blocka Blocka

I am AMINAL

Your instant anger is impressive. I only bolded it because it was my question. Take a ****ing pill.

I don't care who wins as long as they do a good job.

All I see on TV is college kids chanting Obama's name. The media has obviously tried to make us believe that young people care. Hell, they just mentioned it on some show on PBS I'm watching right now. PBS is about as leg-hair on a chick liberal as you can get.

And I didn't say there were more kids registered than before.

All I asked was if WBB thinks the youth vote will actually show up for once. They rarely do. Yet, all I see or hear around me is OBAMA, OBAMA, OBAMA from the college kids.
    Last edited by Patz; 11-03-2008 at 09:57 PM.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

All I can say is, god I hope you're right in your predictions.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

lol

Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd View Post
    Then, all I can think is.."There's no way in hell the college kids (Marshall University is in my city) will wait for an hour or more on Tuesday. Hell..they won't even park their cars when they see the lot at their local polls, if they make it off the couch."

So...(and I know WBB is more responsible and will ALL go vote!)...do you think Obama's heavily-polled and much depended-on youth movement will show up?
    You haven't been paying attention. Maybe in 2000 or 2004 they wouldn't wait. This election those voter will wait. Does he win? I don't know but they will wait this election.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy_of_many_questions

You asked a loaded question. By answering your question, I validate the assumptions you've made in putting it forward. In this case, the presumption that Obama's campaign relies on the youth vote to win this election, and that in fact the only reason it's gaining in the polls is because of youth voters. However you don't offer any information to backup your 'question'.

I think you can see the problem with questions like these...they manipulate answers.

If anyone watches Penn and Teller's Bull****, they talk about loaded questions and political polling in one of their episodes...and the *******s that do it for a living.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If9EWDB_zK4
    Last edited by lakeripple; 11-03-2008 at 10:34 PM.
    Goal: Set a deadlift provincial record in mens junior.

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    well he got my vote early.

it will be interesting to watch this election, i honestly pray its a large turnout, and i would love to see how america votes, and where it goes, exciting to be living in these times, we are watching history unfold infront of us
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Younger adults voter turnout might be higher than ever before but I doubt by much. Obama IS popular among the youth vote from what I've seen but half of these kids aren't even registered. I swear a lot of them think they can just waltz in on election day and show their driver's license and get to vote without having registered themselves.

I do agree though with lakeripple in that Obama is certainly NOT relying heavily upon the youth vote. Hardly any of them get polled by Zogby/Rasmussen because they don't have landlines so again I think they'll play a fairly negligible role tomorrow. Kids are lazy and all talk while older people are actually paying taxes and part of unions and whatnot.

I just hope the day is dramatic and that the libertarian candidates take away enough votes to catch some more attention than usual. Apparently RP and Barr are messing up McCain's Montana chances. Both major candidates are hacks who whore themselves to lobbyists in my eyes so even though I have two absentee ballots with my names on them (don't ask me how that happened, I have no idea) I'm not submitting in either.

I *do* think long lines will deter a lot of the young people IF the lines are long. We'll see come 24 hours from now! Exciting!
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

i am registered to vote and i will be voting; however i know a lot of the people i go to school with and even my "friends" are not voting just because they do not have an opinion.
    i think its sad.
    5'9" 187lbs.
    [i'll make your heart jump like it was on cocaine]
    http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJour...ylovespenguins

I personally don't think it's sad not to vote. It's sad not to have an opinion yes but a lot of people refrain from voting for several different reasons. If you disagree with the way the system is run or believe that the things the government does are illegitimate then refraining from voting is a good way to protest IMO. The lower the voter turnout the less the politicians can push the blame off onto those people who voted for them.

I crack up when people get all romantic about voting and how it's their "right" and somehow that means you *have* to vote or something.

Very off topic but I'm pretty pissed about the Dole atheist thing. Insinuating that an atheist is evil or should not be allowed in office is despicable. I hope there's backlash and Dole loses her seat.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Banned
    who knows if the youth will show up to vote for obama, but people like this will because they got no job and want to leach off those who work.
    Video

Quote Originally Posted by smokinHawk View Post
    who knows if the youth will show up to vote for obama, but people like this will because they got no job and want to leach off those who work.
    Video
    I was listening to Dave Ramsy last night and he was saying the same thing how people aren't taking personal responsibility. It doesn't matter who wins you still have to work and take care of your finances.

I didn't see many young people where I voted today, I see a lot of support people with signs for Obama around the university though.
    Last edited by bill; 11-04-2008 at 08:03 AM.
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by d'Anconia View Post
    I personally don't think it's sad not to vote. It's sad not to have an opinion yes but a lot of people refrain from voting for several different reasons. If you disagree with the way the system is run or believe that the things the government does are illegitimate then refraining from voting is a good way to protest IMO. The lower the voter turnout the less the politicians can push the blame off onto those people who voted for them.
    I think I disagree with you on this. I think by not voting it makes the problem even worse (if it's done in the form of protest). It simply allows those who believe that is it working or those who gain an advantage from the current system that much more 'power.'

I think the better option would be to vote for someone who will change that. I know, I know, hold the laughter on that one. But it is what we have available to us at the time, and it can only change through legislation, which needs support of an elected official. You can either hope that someone currently in office feels that way (if no one with that mindset voted, I would find that unlikely) or you can vote for the person that is most likely to change it if you feel that is a problem. If there isn't anyone on the ballot, maybe you can get someone to run for it. That is always an option as well. Granted, it may be difficult and have a low probability of success, but it is an option, and a better one IMO, than simply not voting.

Also, the "you" in this isn't necessarily directed at you personally, just whoever may feel that way about the issue. Just my opinion on it.
    Last edited by Reko; 11-04-2008 at 09:05 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy_of_many_questions

You asked a loaded question. By answering your question, I validate the assumptions you've made in putting it forward. In this case, the presumption that Obama's campaign relies on the youth vote to win this election, and that in fact the only reason it's gaining in the polls is because of youth voters. However you don't offer any information to backup your 'question'.

I think you can see the problem with questions like these...they manipulate answers.

If anyone watches Penn and Teller's Bull****, they talk about loaded questions and political polling in one of their episodes...and the *******s that do it for a living.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If9EWDB_zK4
    U mad?

I'm a youth, and I am going to vote, but it won't be for Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post
    Lightning, you rock.

Banned
    Im a youth I AM voting for Obama, b/c he stands for many of my own personal political beliefs, many of which are handed down to me by my family, which includes a Union Lawyer Father, A Housemaker/Editor mother, A Music Industry Grandfather, and a Uncle who is in the NYPD Provisional Force to name a few.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dkalban View Post
    Im a youth I AM voting for Obama, b/c he stands for many of my own personal political beliefs, many of which are handed down to me by my family, which includes a Union Lawyer Father, A Housemaker/Editor mother, A Music Industry Grandfather, and a Uncle who is in the NYPD Provisional Force to name a few.
    so your personal beliefs are spreading the wealth, not working to take responsibility for your self, public voting for unions, make energy costs rise, tax all corporations to slow the economy, letting babies die that survive abortions, having the government step in a regulate every private business (fascism), spread a radical environmental agenda.

just asking

18 here. Just got done voting. Chalk one up for McCain/Palin.

just got some free chick-fil-a man if this is the kind of change i could look forward to bring on obama
    Blocka Blocka

I am AMINAL

The youth vote is going to be higher than ever before, although maybe not remarkably higher. The more important distinction, however, is that it's going to lean towards Obama much more than ever before. McCain is going to do very poorly among young voters. The young voters are never really energized by candidates, and so they don't come out and vote. This election is different.

Also, although there might not be a tremendous amount more young voters, there IS a tremendous increase in young activists who did a LOT. McCain didn't have these activists, but both Ron Paul and Obama did.

When you look at the Gallup #'s, it shows that maybe only 3% more are registered to vote, but that's 86% this year. The fact that it's not up a ton doesn't mean anything. I'm kind of disappointed in Gallup for even trying to make the case that these #'s mean anything.
    --------

D'Anconia, regarding your decision not to vote... I think you should go out and vote for Bob Barr.

Nobody is going to take note of the fact that you didn't vote today. The headlines are going to include 'record voter turnout' and 'Obama wins'. Make the Republicans take note of the fact that they might have gotten your vote if they would move towards the Libertarian positions on issues and stop being big government idiots.

I don't really like Bob Barr and I'm really pissed at the Libertarians for running him, but as far as the average newscaster and Republican strategist is concerned, they're going to just see an L by his name and assume you were voting for smaller government and don't believe the Republicans are supporting that.