The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lakeripple View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy_of_many_questions

You asked a loaded question. By answering your question, I validate the assumptions you've made in putting it forward. In this case, the presumption that Obama's campaign relies on the youth vote to win this election, and that in fact the only reason it's gaining in the polls is because of youth voters. However you don't offer any information to backup your 'question'.

I think you can see the problem with questions like these...they manipulate answers.

If anyone watches Penn and Teller's Bull****, they talk about loaded questions and political polling in one of their episodes...and the *******s that do it for a living.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If9EWDB_zK4
    Seriously. Do I normally even participate in political threads? No. I'm not blackboard and Anelka (ha! sorry guys!).

I'm sharp enough to spot a loaded question. I HATE the news media. Even their fact-checks are swayed.

My question was just something I came up with based on an observation I made while standing in line in a musty courthouse on a Saturday afternoon. All I saw around me were people my age and older. Most people were 60+. There were a lot more black people than I expected...that also surprised me. However, I live downtown, so that might be the reason.

I agree with D'Anconia about kids talking but not voting because they don't actually pay taxes or really understand what it's like to feel like a real part of society. But, for the record, Gallup Poll called my cell three days in a row. I don't keep a land line. They can call the college kids.

And again..I don't really CARE who wins. I just want someone to take the damned reigns and right this ship.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Personally I think everyone should have to take a test in order to vote, if you are uninformed then you shouldn't be allowd to vote. Example, 2000 people were polled and 85% believed the Republicans are in power in Congress.

If young people are smart they'll be out voting. Pelosi is going to have unfettered power in the House and they'll shove through doubling the minimum wage within the first few months, basically crippling the economy. I am scared $hitless right now. They better rule from the center or its going to be 4 and done and the giant house control is going to go away real fast.

Unless the f$%@cking idiots who vote don't know whats going on.
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BilltheButcher View Post
    Personally I think everyone should have to take a test in order to vote, if you are uninformed then you shouldn't be allowd to vote. Example, 2000 people were polled and 85% believed the Republicans are in power in Congress.

If young people are smart they'll be out voting. Pelosi is going to have unfettered power in the House and they'll shove through doubling the minimum wage within the first few months, basically crippling the economy. I am scared $hitless right now. They better rule from the center or its going to be 4 and done and the giant house control is going to go away real fast.

Unless the f$%@cking idiots who vote don't know whats going on.
    Neal Boortz much? :P

Haha Neal is the ****.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Reko View Post
    I haven't heard that name since I was an AM radio junkie with an 80 mile commute.

Well...if it wasn't the college kids...SOMEONE showed up for Obama.

I hope they get what they wanted.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

According to Fox News the # of 1st time voters = 11% which was the same as in 2004.

So no they didn't show up but guess who did? 95% Obama 4% McCain for black people.

Yeah black people aren't racist at all...
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by d'Anconia View Post
    According to Fox News the # of 1st time voters = 11% which was the same as in 2004.

So no they didn't show up but guess who did? 95% Obama 4% McCain for black people.

Yea, it's not as if black people don't historically vote overwhelmingly for the democrat (usually 90%).

source: http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/tal...storically.php
    DL 650x1 (raw)
    SQ 479x1 (raw), 700x1(suit+briefs)
    BP 395x1 (raw), 457x1 (single ply)

Current: 6'1, 265; Goal: 6'6, 270

Training log

Quote Originally Posted by d'Anconia View Post

As Bergs noted...Blacks have voted overwhelmingly democratic since Lyndon Johnson enacted the Civil Rights Act.
    "You shall invite to the path of your Lord with wisdom and kind enlightenment, and debate with them in the best possible manner. Your Lord knows best who has strayed from His path, and He knows best who are the guided ones."- Quran 16:25

"A life unexamined is not worth living"- Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Reko View Post
    We don't get Boortz up this way, but I use to listen to him here and there when I was in NC.
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

Results:

Voters aged 18-24 (10% of total vote):
    66% Obama, 32% McCain

Voters aged 25-29 (8% of total vote):
    66% Obama, 31% McCain
    http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/results/polls/#USP00p1

Compare to overall, 52% Obama, 47% McCain (this is a HUGE difference)

Considering percentage of voters...Young voters (18-29) voted in slightly higher numbers than those 30-39, roughly equal to those 40-49, a bit less than 50-64, and slightly more than those 65+.

Historically, this is the highest turnout of young voters yet: About 21 million. It's also the largest percentage of Young Voters.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i...bT8JQD948LJRG0
    http://www.censusscope.org/us/chart_age.html

Edit: I was just reading my post and the one I made before, and it's almost like I'm a psychic or something.

I also don't see how people didn't realize that Obama was a very different candidate for young voters and would without question get a lot more of them to the polls than usual.
    Last edited by KingJustin; 11-05-2008 at 02:34 PM.

Well then it looks like I stand corrected.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

heres life for you in politics

under 18-could care less for the most part

college kids=liberal(most profs are and in liberal settings(universities)

adults- college educated making money= conservative

low paid or uneducated adults= liberal( ie :the have nots)

so its prosperity vs hardship

dilligence vs complatancy
    Blocka Blocka

I am AMINAL

Quote Originally Posted by Bam Bam View Post

Its depends on what part of the country we're talking about. Out West the college educated in places like Oregon are voting Obama. When you go to WV the low pay Joe the Plumber type guys equals conservative lol.

LOL...not so simplistic my punky-brewster-nailing friend.

adults that are college educated and making money over 45=conservative

and I agree with blackboard...low paid or uneducated adults are also fairly conservative...think religious fundamentalists.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

And people with graduate degrees are generally liberal, especially people at top universities.

Quote Originally Posted by KingJustin View Post
    And people with graduate degrees are generally liberal, especially people at top universities.
    Maybe if they're still involved with the university, but overall I disagree with this statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    Maybe if they're still involved with the university, but overall I disagree with this statement.
    ectx= 2 advanced degrees and working in industry (not a university)
    ectx= making a comfortable living
    ectx= very liberal (socially, not economically...hey, it can happen)

chubrock's theory = wrong or ectx is an outlier, or all of ectx's very smart friends who also hold advanced degrees and live comfortably are outliers too.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

Anecdotal Evidence: Out of our 220 person class (Emory Law), I would honestly guess that no more than 20-30 people voted for McCain. I know pretty much everyone in the class pretty well, and I can only think of 6 people that voted McCain. Almost all of the big firm attorneys that have come to our school (that are making mid-six figures, or seven figures) have seemed liberal. (And obviously the public interest attorneys are way left).

Real evidence:
    Postgraduate degrees: 58% Obama, 40% McCain (compared to 52/47 overall)
    http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/results/polls/#USP00p1

Ok, so Obama's a 'highly educated elitist' -- maybe they side with him. What about Kerry?

Postgraduate degrees: 55% Kerry, 44% Bush

The general rule is that if you go to college, you are more likely to vote Republican. If you get a graduate degree (especially one from a top school), you are more likely to vote for Democrat.

Also, keep in mind that these people are making more money than any other group by probably a good amount (this is an educated guess, so someone can check stats if they want). The highly educated simply lean left. There's a lot more atheists, and hardly anyone is a social conservative (although the ones that are social conservatives are usually very involved in politics). Lots of libertarians and left-wing liberals.

Oh, and one more thing -- just about 100% of the people with graduate degrees are 25 or older. If we considered people 25+ only, McCain would have won, so the discrepancy is really higher. Obama doesn't get to benefit from his youth appeal in this statistic.
    Last edited by KingJustin; 11-06-2008 at 11:58 PM.

But what about all those dirt-poor rednecks who vote Republican over and over again?

Quote Originally Posted by ectx View Post
    chubrock's theory = wrong or ectx is an outlier, or all of ectx's very smart friends who also hold advanced degrees and live comfortably are outliers too.
    Well one of our groups of associates are outliers haha. My mother has several Master's Degrees, and my father is a Doc. They're both conservative, as are the vast majority of my father's associates, including lawyers, CPAs and other doctors.

Well one of our groups of associates are outliers haha. My mother has several Master's Degrees, and my father is a Doc. They're both conservative, as are the vast majority of my father's associates, including lawyers, CPAs and other doctors.
    But they're Reagan Era Republicans....probably well in there 40s. I'm in my 30s as are my friends. I also mentioned in a previous post that the demographics change with age.
    ecDoesIt

Anthony

- Sinclair Lewis

But they're Reagan Era Republicans....probably well in there 40s. I'm in my 30s as are my friends. I also mentioned in a previous post that the demographics change with age.
    That's not a bad point. Hadn't really thought about that. So would you classify yourself as more liberal, conservative or somewhere down the middle? I had originally planned on getting my CPA and I'd have to say that I find I have much more libertarian beliefs than anything.

That's not a bad point. Hadn't really thought about that. So would you classify yourself as more liberal, conservative or somewhere down the middle? I had originally planned on getting my CPA and I'd have to say that I find I have much more libertarian beliefs than anything.
    I don't know man, I'm a mixed bag. Although I don't hate Obama's tax plan, I have a problem with making the rich guy pay for everybody's drinks at the bar. I also think it's important to have a strong military although I think we're in one war too many (ie...we should have focused on Afghanistan) and I'm a supporter of gay marriage (the government shouldn't tell you who you can and can't marry). I do understand that we should have a sense of social responsibility and duty to help our fellow citizens. I just don't want to get taxed to death. I guess that makes me a moderate with liberal leanings when it comes to social issues and conservative leanings when it comes to money. LOL. Does that make sense?
    ecDoesIt

Anthony

- Sinclair Lewis

LOL. Does that make sense?
    Haha makes perfect sense. It seems that a lot of people associate having Conservative, and even Libertarian viewpoints with not caring about the poor and what not. Typically that's not the case at all, but most libertarians and true conservatives don't want to be forced to do something about that. That's pretty much in line with the way I feel. I'd rather give money out of the goodness of my heart than be forced by the gov't to hand it out.

It's a shame that the Conservative Party is so opposed to gay marriage and legislating discrimination (to use a phrase from another board) among other issues. It's these issues that cost them so many votes from people that agree with the majority of their other ideals.

I don't think they should legislate morality on drugs, prostitution or gambling either. And I don't like paying for someone else's religion.

The only socially conservative value that I really support is their position on guns.

The more educated you are, the less likely you are to support socially conservative values. That's why you see lots of libertarians and liberals at the ivy grad programs.