The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 56

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    mrelwooddowd Patz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BFE, KY
    Posts
    9,769

    Do you think Obama's youth movement will show up tomorrow?

    I voted early on Saturday at the county courthouse. It was the peak of the college football day. WVU (I'm in WV) was in the middle of its big 3rd quarter surge against UCONN, and I waited just about 20 minutes to vote.

    With the game going on, and it being 3pm-ish on Saturday during football season, I was pretty surprised by the size of the line.

    So..all I'm thinking is. "It's gonna be HELL at the polls Tuesday. I'm SO glad I ran over here today."

    As I'm heading out, the line is double what it was when I came in.

    40 minute wait?


    Then, all I can think is.."There's no way in hell the college kids (Marshall University is in my city) will wait for an hour or more on Tuesday. Hell..they won't even park their cars when they see the lot at their local polls, if they make it off the couch."



    So...(and I know WBB is more responsible and will ALL go vote!)...do you think Obama's heavily-polled and much depended-on youth movement will show up?
    _________________________

    5/3/1 Journal


    http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Who me? Chubrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,634
    Pray for rain. They're calling for it here in NC. I will say that I was listening to a radio station where one of the campaign managers in Florida stated that they weren't seeing near the early vote turnout they had hoped for.

    Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

  4. #3
    Senior Member ClubberLang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    Pray for rain. They're calling for it here in NC. I will say that I was listening to a radio station where one of the campaign managers in Florida stated that they weren't seeing near the early vote turnout they had hoped for.
    Way to express you support for American Democracy...you're clearly driven by democratic values that encourage every person to be active in choosing their government. Leaders of the free world.


    Seriously, the hypocrisy of the right is downright laughable.

  5. #4
    Who me? Chubrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,634
    Quote Originally Posted by ClubberLang View Post
    Way to express you support for American Democracy...you're clearly driven by democratic values that encourage every person to be active in choosing their government. Leaders of the free world.


    Seriously, the hypocrisy of the right is downright laughable.

    I'll encourage people to be active in choosing their government when they can actually tell me an issue that their candidate supports, something other than "I hate Bush" or "Obama is a Muslim". The rain typically keeps a large number of these dumbasses from the voting booth.

    Let me also remind you, that it isn't a constitutional right to vote for the POTUS...

    Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

  6. #5
    Senior Member lakeripple's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    195
    What proof do you offer of the so called youth surge that Obama is dependent on? Faux news? People of all age groups are going to vote for him, not just the youth.

    In return, I offer evidence for what I say.

    This article offers a comparison of the youth registered to vote in 2004 with 2008, and the likelihood of turning out to vote, according to them. From those polled, there's only a 3% increase in youth voter registration from 2004.

    http://www.gallup.com/poll/111685/Up...outh-Vote.aspx

    Oh, and **** your blatant bias. Just because you bold something, doesn't make it true.
    Last edited by lakeripple; 11-03-2008 at 08:20 PM.
    Goal: Set a deadlift provincial record in mens junior.

  7. #6
    "COUNT CRACKULA" Bam Bam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    2,814
    Quote Originally Posted by lakeripple View Post
    What proof do you offer of the so called youth surge that Obama is dependent on? Faux news? People of all age groups are going to vote for him, not just the youth.

    In return, I offer evidence for what I say.

    This article offers a comparison of the youth registered to vote in 2004 with 2008, and the likelihood of turning out to vote, according to them. From those polled, there's only a 3% increase in youth voter registration from 2004.

    http://www.gallup.com/poll/111685/Up...outh-Vote.aspx

    Oh, and **** your blatant bias. Just because you bold something, doesn't make it true.
    little jumpy arnt we?

    i think OP was eluding to the fact that most young people(students) especially college students lean liberal. This is because most profs are liberals working for liberal institutions. Not that theres anything wrong with that
    Blocka Blocka

    I am AMINAL

  8. #7
    mrelwooddowd Patz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BFE, KY
    Posts
    9,769
    Quote Originally Posted by lakeripple View Post
    What proof do you offer of the so called youth surge that Obama is dependent on? Faux news? People of all age groups are going to vote for him, not just the youth.

    In return, I offer evidence for what I say.

    This article offers a comparison of the youth registered to vote in 2004 with 2008, and the likelihood of turning out to vote, according to them. From those polled, there's only a 3% increase in youth voter registration from 2004.

    http://www.gallup.com/poll/111685/Up...outh-Vote.aspx

    Oh, and **** your blatant bias. Just because you bold something, doesn't make it true.
    Your instant anger is impressive. I only bolded it because it was my question. Take a ****ing pill.

    I don't care who wins as long as they do a good job.

    All I see on TV is college kids chanting Obama's name. The media has obviously tried to make us believe that young people care. Hell, they just mentioned it on some show on PBS I'm watching right now. PBS is about as leg-hair on a chick liberal as you can get.

    And I didn't say there were more kids registered than before.

    All I asked was if WBB thinks the youth vote will actually show up for once. They rarely do. Yet, all I see or hear around me is OBAMA, OBAMA, OBAMA from the college kids.
    Last edited by Patz; 11-03-2008 at 09:57 PM.
    _________________________

    5/3/1 Journal


    http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

  9. #8
    Tap, Rack, Bacon ncsuLuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1,348
    Quote Originally Posted by lakeripple View Post
    What proof do you offer of the so called youth surge that Obama is dependent on? Faux news? People of all age groups are going to vote for him, not just the youth.

    In return, I offer evidence for what I say.

    This article offers a comparison of the youth registered to vote in 2004 with 2008, and the likelihood of turning out to vote, according to them. From those polled, there's only a 3% increase in youth voter registration from 2004.

    http://www.gallup.com/poll/111685/Up...outh-Vote.aspx

    Oh, and **** your blatant bias. Just because you bold something, doesn't make it true.
    lol

  10. #9
    Who me? Chubrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,634
    Wow. Way to jump off the ****ing deep end there.

    Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

  11. #10
    It's a Republic dammit! reloaded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    668
    The last few election cycles, the pundits said we'd have record turnouts among young people. But time and time again, young people haven't lived up to expectations. I expect this year will not be any different.
    Last edited by reloaded; 11-03-2008 at 08:31 PM.
    Too cool for school.
    My Blog

  12. #11
    Senior Member Invain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,886
    All I can say is, god I hope you're right in your predictions.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

  13. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    in the mountains
    Posts
    856
    Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd View Post
    Then, all I can think is.."There's no way in hell the college kids (Marshall University is in my city) will wait for an hour or more on Tuesday. Hell..they won't even park their cars when they see the lot at their local polls, if they make it off the couch."



    So...(and I know WBB is more responsible and will ALL go vote!)...do you think Obama's heavily-polled and much depended-on youth movement will show up?
    You haven't been paying attention. Maybe in 2000 or 2004 they wouldn't wait. This election those voter will wait. Does he win? I don't know but they will wait this election.

  14. #13
    Senior Member lakeripple's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    195
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy_of_many_questions

    You asked a loaded question. By answering your question, I validate the assumptions you've made in putting it forward. In this case, the presumption that Obama's campaign relies on the youth vote to win this election, and that in fact the only reason it's gaining in the polls is because of youth voters. However you don't offer any information to backup your 'question'.

    I think you can see the problem with questions like these...they manipulate answers.

    If anyone watches Penn and Teller's Bull****, they talk about loaded questions and political polling in one of their episodes...and the *******s that do it for a living.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If9EWDB_zK4
    Last edited by lakeripple; 11-03-2008 at 10:34 PM.
    Goal: Set a deadlift provincial record in mens junior.

  15. #14
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by lakeripple View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy_of_many_questions

    You asked a loaded question. By answering your question, I validate the assumptions you've made in putting it forward. In this case, the presumption that Obama's campaign relies on the youth vote to win this election, and that in fact the only reason it's gaining in the polls is because of youth voters. However you don't offer any information to backup your 'question'.

    I think you can see the problem with questions like these...they manipulate answers.

    If anyone watches Penn and Teller's Bull****, they talk about loaded questions and political polling in one of their episodes...and the *******s that do it for a living.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If9EWDB_zK4
    U mad?

  16. #15
    mrelwooddowd Patz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BFE, KY
    Posts
    9,769
    Quote Originally Posted by lakeripple View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy_of_many_questions

    You asked a loaded question. By answering your question, I validate the assumptions you've made in putting it forward. In this case, the presumption that Obama's campaign relies on the youth vote to win this election, and that in fact the only reason it's gaining in the polls is because of youth voters. However you don't offer any information to backup your 'question'.

    I think you can see the problem with questions like these...they manipulate answers.

    If anyone watches Penn and Teller's Bull****, they talk about loaded questions and political polling in one of their episodes...and the *******s that do it for a living.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If9EWDB_zK4
    Seriously. Do I normally even participate in political threads? No. I'm not blackboard and Anelka (ha! sorry guys!).

    I'm sharp enough to spot a loaded question. I HATE the news media. Even their fact-checks are swayed.

    My question was just something I came up with based on an observation I made while standing in line in a musty courthouse on a Saturday afternoon. All I saw around me were people my age and older. Most people were 60+. There were a lot more black people than I expected...that also surprised me. However, I live downtown, so that might be the reason.

    I agree with D'Anconia about kids talking but not voting because they don't actually pay taxes or really understand what it's like to feel like a real part of society. But, for the record, Gallup Poll called my cell three days in a row. I don't keep a land line. They can call the college kids.

    And again..I don't really CARE who wins. I just want someone to take the damned reigns and right this ship.
    _________________________

    5/3/1 Journal


    http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

  17. #16
    Senior Member BilltheButcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,477
    Personally I think everyone should have to take a test in order to vote, if you are uninformed then you shouldn't be allowd to vote. Example, 2000 people were polled and 85% believed the Republicans are in power in Congress.

    If young people are smart they'll be out voting. Pelosi is going to have unfettered power in the House and they'll shove through doubling the minimum wage within the first few months, basically crippling the economy. I am scared $hitless right now. They better rule from the center or its going to be 4 and done and the giant house control is going to go away real fast.

    Unless the f$%@cking idiots who vote don't know whats going on.
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

  18. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    3,119
    Quote Originally Posted by BilltheButcher View Post
    Personally I think everyone should have to take a test in order to vote, if you are uninformed then you shouldn't be allowd to vote. Example, 2000 people were polled and 85% believed the Republicans are in power in Congress.

    If young people are smart they'll be out voting. Pelosi is going to have unfettered power in the House and they'll shove through doubling the minimum wage within the first few months, basically crippling the economy. I am scared $hitless right now. They better rule from the center or its going to be 4 and done and the giant house control is going to go away real fast.

    Unless the f$%@cking idiots who vote don't know whats going on.
    Neal Boortz much? :P

  19. #18
    WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    Posts
    4,405
    well he got my vote early.


    it will be interesting to watch this election, i honestly pray its a large turnout, and i would love to see how america votes, and where it goes, exciting to be living in these times, we are watching history unfold infront of us
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

    Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

    Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

    Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

    "Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

  20. #19
    Wrecker of Homes d'Anconia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    5,975
    Younger adults voter turnout might be higher than ever before but I doubt by much. Obama IS popular among the youth vote from what I've seen but half of these kids aren't even registered. I swear a lot of them think they can just waltz in on election day and show their driver's license and get to vote without having registered themselves.

    I do agree though with lakeripple in that Obama is certainly NOT relying heavily upon the youth vote. Hardly any of them get polled by Zogby/Rasmussen because they don't have landlines so again I think they'll play a fairly negligible role tomorrow. Kids are lazy and all talk while older people are actually paying taxes and part of unions and whatnot.

    I just hope the day is dramatic and that the libertarian candidates take away enough votes to catch some more attention than usual. Apparently RP and Barr are messing up McCain's Montana chances. Both major candidates are hacks who whore themselves to lobbyists in my eyes so even though I have two absentee ballots with my names on them (don't ask me how that happened, I have no idea) I'm not submitting in either.

    I *do* think long lines will deter a lot of the young people IF the lines are long. We'll see come 24 hours from now! Exciting!
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

  21. #20
    :) builderbabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    56
    i am registered to vote and i will be voting; however i know a lot of the people i go to school with and even my "friends" are not voting just because they do not have an opinion.
    i think its sad.
    5'9" 187lbs.
    [i'll make your heart jump like it was on cocaine]
    http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJour...ylovespenguins

  22. #21
    Wrecker of Homes d'Anconia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    5,975
    I personally don't think it's sad not to vote. It's sad not to have an opinion yes but a lot of people refrain from voting for several different reasons. If you disagree with the way the system is run or believe that the things the government does are illegitimate then refraining from voting is a good way to protest IMO. The lower the voter turnout the less the politicians can push the blame off onto those people who voted for them.

    I crack up when people get all romantic about voting and how it's their "right" and somehow that means you *have* to vote or something.

    Very off topic but I'm pretty pissed about the Dole atheist thing. Insinuating that an atheist is evil or should not be allowed in office is despicable. I hope there's backlash and Dole loses her seat.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

  23. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    3,119
    Quote Originally Posted by d'Anconia View Post
    I personally don't think it's sad not to vote. It's sad not to have an opinion yes but a lot of people refrain from voting for several different reasons. If you disagree with the way the system is run or believe that the things the government does are illegitimate then refraining from voting is a good way to protest IMO. The lower the voter turnout the less the politicians can push the blame off onto those people who voted for them.
    I think I disagree with you on this. I think by not voting it makes the problem even worse (if it's done in the form of protest). It simply allows those who believe that is it working or those who gain an advantage from the current system that much more 'power.'

    I think the better option would be to vote for someone who will change that. I know, I know, hold the laughter on that one. But it is what we have available to us at the time, and it can only change through legislation, which needs support of an elected official. You can either hope that someone currently in office feels that way (if no one with that mindset voted, I would find that unlikely) or you can vote for the person that is most likely to change it if you feel that is a problem. If there isn't anyone on the ballot, maybe you can get someone to run for it. That is always an option as well. Granted, it may be difficult and have a low probability of success, but it is an option, and a better one IMO, than simply not voting.

    Also, the "you" in this isn't necessarily directed at you personally, just whoever may feel that way about the issue. Just my opinion on it.
    Last edited by Reko; 11-04-2008 at 09:05 AM.

  24. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Piqua, OH
    Posts
    1,455
    who knows if the youth will show up to vote for obama, but people like this will because they got no job and want to leach off those who work.
    Video

  25. #24
    Senior Member bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    va
    Posts
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by smokinHawk View Post
    who knows if the youth will show up to vote for obama, but people like this will because they got no job and want to leach off those who work.
    Video
    I was listening to Dave Ramsy last night and he was saying the same thing how people aren't taking personal responsibility. It doesn't matter who wins you still have to work and take care of your finances.

    I didn't see many young people where I voted today, I see a lot of support people with signs for Obama around the university though.
    Last edited by bill; 11-04-2008 at 08:03 AM.
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

  26. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    203
    I'm a youth, and I am going to vote, but it won't be for Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post
    Lightning, you rock.

Similar Threads

  1. Lee Priest interviews stolen from Elite
    By The_Chicken_Daddy in forum General Chat
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-03-2011, 11:18 PM
  2. The FIT Expo Mendelson Classic Show Report
    By Seanzilla in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-24-2005, 03:30 PM
  3. Celebration of diversity, Dwarf-dating show
    By geoffgarcia in forum General Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-31-2004, 01:10 PM
  4. Christian Thibaudeau's High Tension Training
    By silles in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-27-2003, 08:03 AM
  5. the DBZ conspiracy and how it happened
    By Sayiajin Prince in forum General Chat
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 11-27-2001, 04:47 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •