Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deadlift Vid (updated 2/4/09)

I'm with everybody else. Your form looks good. The only thing I see that might be causing the back issue is the exaggerated hyperextention of the lower back at the top. As a powerlifter you wouldn't want to take it that far anyway because when you do it makes you break at the knee and you lose the lift with the judges if they look close. For your purposes it may be that you're doing it intentionally for the max contraction of the lower back, but it could be what is causing the back pain. If it doesn't interfere with your goal for the lift, try stopping it at your upright standing position. Just a shot in the dark at stopping the back issue. Good luck with your goal!
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

Quote Originally Posted by mastermonster View Post
    I'm with everybody else. Your form looks good. The only thing I see that might be causing the back issue is the exaggerated hyperextention of the lower back at the top. As a powerlifter you wouldn't want to take it that far anyway because when you do it makes you break at the knee and you lose the lift with the judges if they look close. For your purposes it may be that you're doing it intentionally for the max contraction of the lower back, but it could be what is causing the back pain. If it doesn't interfere with your goal for the lift, try stopping it at your upright standing position. Just a shot in the dark at stopping the back issue. Good luck with your goal!
    No that is a valid point. My last workout parter tried to get me to stop. Someone suggested the same thing in my journal. I'll try to keep that in mind next time. Thanks.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rodgers View Post
    Looks good CP. You definitely have plenty of strength left. Does this program have you pulling once every week?
    Each rotation takes two weeks, so I will do bent leg deads every two weeks. I am also doing SLDL's, so I will be doing one deadlift variation each week.
    My Journal

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Wannabebig New Member
    Hey man, u have great form. However, there is one comment or piece of adivce I would like to give you that has helped me get the most out of the deadlift. As I watched your videos, it reminds me of one mistake I use to make. When I began repping 375ish raw (no belt, straps etc.), I began to get serious lower back irratation. I researched the deadlift form, like I always do every couple months, and also had an expierenced body builder watch my deadlift. There was one part of the lift I was doing wrong. It was this: when you begin the deadlift, you should always be trying to look at the celing the whole entire time. This prevents your lower back from rounding. Since you use a lower back support belt, you have been oblivious to your lower back rounding untill you reached very heavy weight. The rule is in all powerlifts is this: the heavier you lift, the more perfect your form has to be. Back supports can only do so much. As you lift heavier, you must reanalyze your technique. I compliment your courage for posting videos on here and asking for honest opinions. However, the solution to your problem is this: you must look at the ceiling instead of looking straight foraward at the wall. This will causes less tension to be placed on your lower back. This will result in less injuries to your lower back and will reward you with personal record breaking deadlifts. I have also personally repped 405x 6 reps and have a max on deadlift of 470 lbs. raw...not many people do these lifts raw unless their on steriods (then they get these "personal injuries" which they try to make look natural...but their full of **** bc myself and many of my drug free friends who lift have never had any weight lifting injures...if a person who is as strong as **** gets an injury, thers a 75% chance there on steriods...think brian urlacher...natural genetic mutant who never took roids and has had 2 minor injures in his nfl career). My weight...185 lbs 6'1.5" (keep in mind that taller people have harder time deadliftin, squatin & benchin). Take my advice b/c I have been in your shoes bud.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rush126 View Post
    Hey man, u have great form. However, there is one comment or piece of adivce I would like to give you that has helped me get the most out of the deadlift. As I watched your videos, it reminds me of one mistake I use to make. When I began repping 375ish raw (no belt, straps etc.), I began to get serious lower back irratation. I researched the deadlift form, like I always do every couple months, and also had an expierenced body builder watch my deadlift. There was one part of the lift I was doing wrong. It was this: when you begin the deadlift, you should always be trying to look at the celing the whole entire time. This prevents your lower back from rounding. Since you use a lower back support belt, you have been oblivious to your lower back rounding untill you reached very heavy weight. The rule is in all powerlifts is this: the heavier you lift, the more perfect your form has to be. Back supports can only do so much. As you lift heavier, you must reanalyze your technique. I compliment your courage for posting videos on here and asking for honest opinions. However, the solution to your problem is this: you must look at the ceiling instead of looking straight foraward at the wall. This will causes less tension to be placed on your lower back. This will result in less injuries to your lower back and will reward you with personal record breaking deadlifts. I have also personally repped 405x 6 reps and have a max on deadlift of 470 lbs. raw...not many people do these lifts raw unless their on steriods (then they get these "personal injuries" which they try to make look natural...but their full of **** bc myself and many of my drug free friends who lift have never had any weight lifting injures...if a person who is as strong as **** gets an injury, thers a 75% chance there on steriods...think brian urlacher...natural genetic mutant who never took roids and has had 2 minor injures in his nfl career). My weight...185 lbs 6'1.5" (keep in mind that taller people have harder time deadliftin, squatin & benchin). Take my advice b/c I have been in your shoes bud.
    This is epic...

Nuttin to it but to do it Chalky Palms's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
    This is epic...
    LOL i agree....
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

Best Raw Lifts- B 315 S 405 D 555
    Workout Journal

I have a bridge I'd like to sell you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
    This is epic...
    Epic fail for sure Ben.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    He probably got all that info on the internetz, so it's gotta be true!

Does that mean that I am on the sauce? I better get checked out.

Can't wait to see the next update CP. I wanna see 365 on there soon!
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

APF ELITE @220- 1887
    APF ELITE @198- 1785
    GODS ARMYUNDEFEATED.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/lenny00spero
    http://www.youtube.com/user/DJserrano2121

I'm sorry, I know you are trying to be helpful, but I can't help myself

Video
    My Journal

HAHAHAHA great post CP I love that movie

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Quote Originally Posted by cphafner View Post
    I'm sorry, I know you are trying to be helpful, but I can't help myself

Video
    I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    Agreed..hahahahahahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    I was just going to post the same thing.

545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rodgers View Post
    I was just going to post the same thing.

I was almost in tears I was laughing so hard when I posted this.
    My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by cphafner View Post
    I was almost in tears I was laughing so hard when I posted this.
    That was an epic reply. Nice job.

Back on topic. Here is a new session bit heavier. 355*6. I tried to not over extend at the top like some posters pointed out. I felt like I had a bit of upper back rounding on the last couple. I do have DB rows in this current w/o cycle to help with upper back strength. Keep the good tips coming! Sorry on the delay at the start of the vid. Damn ipod got in the way.

Video
    My Journal

Ok, did we need the crotch shot at the end?

Still looks easy. You weren't rounding, don't worry about it.
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

How does the lower back feel today CP?

Just get under the bar!

StrengthFromAboveMinistry Benny Jackson's Avatar
    I haven't put any gear on yet so I can't say for sure that my lower back is "better". Normally my lower back starts to get "weird" from squatting in full gear.

But I have heard that tight hip flexers can pull on your lower back and aggravate it. I have been stretching twice a week, groin, hip flexers, ham strings, etc... And things seem much better for me.

Also, I see on the way down your lowering the weight in a somewhat controlled manner. Someone that just started training with us was lowering the weight in an even more controlled manner than you. He was advised to go with the bar, but just kinda let it fall. But maybe that has to do more with expending energy, but I am pretty sure it was also mentioned that it can put extra stress on the lower back.

But I have been training for like 4 days, so post the Billy Madison video for me now.
    I will exalt you, my God the King; I will praise your name for ever and ever. Every day I will praise you and extol your name for ever and ever. (Psalm 145:1-2)

Chris - Don't act like your not impressed. Haha...I didn't even notice that shot. Thanks for the words.

Joey - It's ok. My hips are more sore than anything.

Benny - I would agree with what you said. I focus on ham, glute, and hip stretching/foam rolling atleast 3 times a week. Makes a big difference on the lower back.
    My Journal

That looked really easy CP. Go up to 4 plates next workout and rip it up.

Just get under the bar!